By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the NX doesn't come out in 2016, where will the "Nintendo-like" profits come from?

Soundwave said:
teigaga said:
Mobile will be a big earner.

Low cost, big returns for Nintendo. Amiibo, Introduction ofQOL. It actually might make sense 2016 being a year of huge profits indicates NX won't be released. Hardware launches are always costly and it might make sense for Nintendo to have a year of focusing on mobile, QOL and exploiting amiibo with the introduction of cheaper, more readily available cards.

I'm really starting to think QOL is stuck in development limbo. It was supposed to be unveiled a while ago and we've still seen basically nothing. Not sure what Nintendo really wants to do there, it seems more like they came to the idea of making "quality of life" as a product category first without having really a specific product in mind.  

Mobile can be a money-maker, but it's also a market where maybe 1/1000 apps really make any money. Counting on that to be a gaurunteed windfall overnight might be foolish. Not that I don't think they can make money there, sure they can, but it doesn't mean huge profits overnight either. They might need a year or two to figure out what works and what doesn't as mobile is uncharted territory for them. 

3DS is their main profit driver but it needs to be replaced soon. That has to be the no.1 priority if you're Nintendo, and IMO NX is the 3DS replacement, first and foremost. 

I agree that huge success (profit) with mobile isn't %100 garunteed but if its Mario & Friends + Pokemon on sale I really would bet on them getting at least 10m+ downloads per app. We can't really lump Nintendo's gaming properties into the same box as the 1000s of unknown games uploaded to the appstore. With me it really just comes down to how well they monitise which is probably where they're most likely to fall. Gameplay wise I have a lot of faith in them going by DS games and their vast catelogue of mini games on consoles, they know how to make short addictive experiences and how to capitalise of their characrers.

3DS certainly needs a replacement but I don't see a late 2016 console launch hugely boosting their overall profit, especially since 3DS revenue will likely be down signifcantly,Wii U down YOY by a bit aswell- So a fall NX console launch will probably only just compensate for their fall in hardware and software revenue seen throughout the rest of the year. This makes me think that they are betting on mobile, alternatively they're launching NX in the summer as or even earlier. 

Around the Network

They better hold onto the handheld market for dear life.

I see no reason the NX wouldn't come out next year. I feel as though QoL will not be that big and mobile games really don't earn all that much cash in the grand scheme of things -especially if what they mean by "Nintendo-like profits" they do mean DS/Wii $$

GTstation said:

Look at what the two console before and after wii did, everything points to a fluke.  Or is fad better ? 

Yes profitability.  Thats harder to do when hardware costs are high due to low sales.  Take away hardware and funnel all that $ into their greatest strength.  Game development, the choices they will make in the future are plain to see.  

Simple really.  Their strength is software weakness is hardware.  Take their strength and release it on a massive user base that NO nintendo hardware will ever even come close to.  Simpel logic is ludicrous lol.

Oh, I wouldn't say your logic is simple and ludicrous, that's a little too harsh.

Games, hardware sales, Amiibos, Movies, Amusement Parks etc.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network

Mischief Makers HD Remake.

teigaga said:

Low profit margins are fine when you have an audience of 100s of millions of people. Nintendo's brand will gaurntee them abosutely huge download figures without wasting much on marketing, I think it'll just come down to how aggressive they monetise their apps.

The plan is not as surefire as you think it is ... 

For every successful app, there are about a hundred that are garbage ... 

Mobile, amiibo shilling and probably the profits from the 3DS thanks to their native market in Japan.

Heck, they haven't had "Nintendo-like" profits consistently since probably 2011. The Amiibo craze was strong and good for them but by itself, it didn't save anything. Nintendo has enough in the War Chest that they can take another middling year of the Wii U losing to the PS4 globaly while still making funds in other areas.

Releasing the NX before it is ready, before the game are prepared and they can get the most impact would wind up costing them more money then anything they lost with the Wii U so far.

ARamdomGamer said:
Mischief Makers HD Remake.

Don't you PLAY with my emotions, sir!

Who says that a console launch is profitable in the first place? The wiiu launch wasnt profitable in its year

The theme park? I don't know. Anyway, "Nintendo-like" profits is just a delusional expectation from modern Ninty.

I'm now filled with determination.