By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I found out why Notch sold Minecraft.

Spankey said:
Carl Sagan — 'Observation: I can't see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.'

no way to tell is these kids are in some way challenged or just nervous from what info we are given

that said, I don't have an "Awwww.....cute" bone in my body, and it's for that reason that I find this (and pretty much all Clips-with-kids) cringeworthy.
But that's just me lol

I also do not have a "Awwww.....cute" bone in my body but instead of this being cringeworthy for me, I kind of view the video with interest.  Some question or how the panel responded to questions interested me more than kids having problems getting their point across, badly pronounce words or just bat shit crazy questions.  Maybe because I am a parent and experience many of those situations that I think nothing about it now.  I have friends with disabled kids, socially awkward kids, popular kids you name it.  I have seen quite a bit so I believe my experience is just broader.

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:

Let's get something straight here. Rightly or wrongly, that video was put together for the laughs; it compiled the worst of the bunch to create the biggest cringe. It achieved its goal, whether it sickens people or not.

To those people who feel the need to defend those kids because they think they are disabled, be careful what you say. You may have insulted some ordinary kids who've been left to rot for too long in front of their computers or consoles by their parents and/or are simply overcome with awe at the chance of asking the devs about their favourite game.

Sure, it's possible one or two of those kids might have some inherent social development issues and sure, it's wrong to mock them but it's also wrong to make a casual diagnosis based on a few minutes' footage and then use it to judge others' reactions. 

It's possible for a kid to be capable of being awkward, stupid, funny, cute or downright intelligent and insightful regardless of their health, background, developmental issues or whatever.

To the people who are criticising the devs for how they handled the kids' questions, and to the people criticising some of the reactions on this thread, it's not a crime to have not had any experience dealing with kids. Those of us who are parents or work regularly  with kids should remember that there was a time when we did not have that experience. It may have meant our ignorance was greater back then, but it didn't make us bad people.

That video showed a situation that allowed kids to pose questions to their idols, and it highlights the moments where it backfired. It was funny, it was cringeworthy, it was kids being kids. And that's it - that's all there is to it.

I agree with you. I don't why everyone is so up in arms about and pretending that video wasn't awkward to watch when it was. Most people aren't even making fun of the kids.

Kids can be BRUTAL. LOL. :)

SpokenTruth said:
This thread is far more cringe worthy than anything in that video.

For shame, fellas, for shame.

For shame of what?... Ok then let's just pretend it wasn't awkward to watch.

Minecraft is for weird children, I thought it was a known fact.

Around the Network

What's the issue? It's a bunch of nervous kids asking questions.

Kids ask strange questions that are hard to answer. Welcome to the stuff anyone with parenting experience knows already.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

gatito said:
Minecraft is for weird children, I thought it was a known fact.

Building stuff, experimenting with mods and social interaction is weird?

Id say the kids who play nothing but single player games by themselves without social interaction are no better off.

Youre likely not a parent, but I would rather my daughter play Minecraft online with her cousins and friends while talking and planning than sit in her room playing by herself.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

My god those kids and people need some sports in their life.

Ok weird isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'm weird myself I think but I'm not a kid anymore so.

gatito said:
Ok weird isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'm weird myself I think but I'm not a kid anymore so.

Then I read it entirely wrong. Apologies.

Currently playing: