By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata's true vision of video games

I'll eat some mushrooms and jump on a turtle in his honour. RIP.

Around the Network
vivster said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:

there should be a bunch of threads about this. Yes, there absolutely should be. Each thread about iwata is not identical by the way, this one in particular is about his vision. there is no real point the op is making. This is strictly just about the vision a legendary game developer had, and it's worth considering and respecting right now. 

I know you're not the biggest nintendo fan, but even so, you should have the ability to take a step back and understand the severity of the situation right now. This is a huge loss to the entire industry. The things this man has done has helped shape the industry that is responsible for the games you enjoy today. Just please try to understand. He was a very kind, lovable, goofy, and humble man, and does deserve the consideration people on the forums are giving him. You have to be able to see that? 

Sorry, but no person on earth is so charming that he deserves dupe threads on a forum that strictly enforces its rules. The threads might have different titles but the content of the posts is the same.

And no, opinions don't suddenly become unchallengeable just because you died.

The weight of this loss is highly subjective, especially in a forum that repeatedly has attacked him for his business practices and repeatedly voiced that Nintendo would be better off without him. I wouldn't get to make 10 threads if some no name developer of Psyonix died. Probably because that death isn't important enough to be mourned in several threads. Because every life is precious but Iwata's is the most precious of them all.

To not go off topic I will reitterate my point. I think his vision that the only purpose of games should be fun to everyone is very narrow minded.

They're not dupe threads, dude. they're all different. I didn't say the opinions are unchallengable (obviously) I said it is worth considering and respecting. Your whole attitude here is coming off as extremely callous. just let him have his moment that he deserv3s

As long as they don't abandon Devil's Third because the Nintendo Fun Police dictate that it's not fun

vivster said:

I don't agree. Video games can be a lot more than just "fun". This is an outdated approach and the simplification of this statement is insulting to games that actively try to be more than just "fun".

And why would they have to be fun for everyone? Why is catering only to a specific audience bad?

Fun means enjoyment, why exactly are you playing any games if you arent enjoying them? for what reason would their be a point to them? to not enjoy them? to not have fun? 

vivster said:

Sorry, but no person on earth is so charming that he deserves dupe threads on a forum that strictly enforces its rules. The threads might have different titles but the content of the posts is the same.

And no, opinions don't suddenly become unchallengeable just because you died.

The weight of this loss is highly subjective, especially in a forum that repeatedly has attacked him for his business practices and repeatedly voiced that Nintendo would be better off without him. I wouldn't get to make 10 threads if some no name developer of Psyonix died. Probably because that death isn't important enough to be mourned in several threads. Because every life is precious but Iwata's is the most precious of them all.

Yes people have the right to mourn, I accept that. They have several threads for that and the whole rest of the internet. What I don't accept is being attacked for not mourning.

To not go off topic I will reitterate my point. I think his vision that the only purpose of games should be fun to everyone is very narrow minded.

How is it narrow minded? The only reason people play any game is to have fun so he's right, he's didn't say only one type of game should be made he basically said games should be enjoyable regardless of type. 

Around the Network
bobgamez said:
vivster said:

I don't agree. Video games can be a lot more than just "fun". This is an outdated approach and the simplification of this statement is insulting to games that actively try to be more than just "fun".

And why would they have to be fun for everyone? Why is catering only to a specific audience bad?

Fun means enjoyment, why exactly are you playing any games if you arent enjoying them? for what reason would their be a point to them? to not enjoy them? to not have fun? 

What is ironic is that this user's 2015 goty is 100% a product of that outdated and archaic philosophy.  Go figure 

Fun is not necessarily whimsical, or goofy. Fun cab be serious. It is define as enjoyment and interesting at well. So yes, a pasttime based solely on interactive experience should have some of these qualities. Unless you like playing games to be disinterested....

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Rest in Peace. Nintendo and the gaming industry lost a great influence with him. That quote in the OP sums it up perfectly. Gaming should be about fun. Iwata stood for that.

You should add his other quotes too http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/13/asia/gallery/japan-satoru-iwata-quotes/index.html

A handheld gamer only (for now).