By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you think it's ok for African Americans to use the word "nigger" but...

Lawlight said:
silentdj151 said:

I have been referred to a nigger once or twice in my life...beaner, spic, wet back, and etc...

Ignorant people will use these words to project their fears and insecurities.

There is only one race the human race.

We have different ethnic backgrounds.

The word nigger is control mechanism that is being used to keep a certain group in a lower class.

Words should never be banned.

So, African Americans are keeping themselves in a lower class?

Yes, but the main culprit is the 1% for creating classes that fight over the scraps left in the institutional framework.

Stop being a sheep and stop drinking the kool aid

Around the Network

I think it's kind of funny when afro american say "my nigga" to a non-black person. I would be honored if an afro-american called me "niggah" or "homeboy" and the same with "esé" or "hombre".

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

There is a difference between "nigga" and "nigger", there is also a difference in using it as a racial term to demean which from my experience isn't how black people generally use it. A white person using it openly has a racial connotation to it, that's just how it is due to the history of the word. A black person using it is not really the same thing.

Really though, what's the freaking obsession that some people have with needing to use the word? You can't function if you can't say it? I've never had to use to word.

Things always have context. You can complain or put down your family members, but I bet if someone else started talking crap about your mother for example ... it would be a very different response.

One of my co-workers always used to call me a Sand Nigga and I called him a Jungle Nigga in jest and camaraderie. No harm done. Depends on the person using it, honestly. If someone calls me a Spic or its equivalent, I don't really care. For me, they're just words.

I'm Hispanic and have had Hispanics and other African Americans call me "my nigga" before. I do not personally say it to someone since it's not something I would honestly say (except when me and my coworker were playing around), but I have no issues with someone saying "nigga" to me or using it.

The n-word is mainstream now because of hip hop and black rappers.

It's in every verse and every song...

Getting offended by it, when used in a non-derogatory context, is ridiculous at this point.

Around the Network

As an African American, I believe everyone has the right to say any and every word that exists including words like "retarded" and "faggot". Any and every word in existence will offend or excite any and everyone.

However, I do believe people should accept any and all ramifications of using said words based on context, tone, and how derogatory it is when being used. People in general need to be mindful and respectful of the environment they are in when speaking or acting because almost anything can easily offend a person.

This is the only time it's acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDetBACaU0

I don't know, but I do find 'niggers' and the whole Hip Hop culture which is being force fed to everybody in the Western World, utterly tedious and boring...

What's with the term African American? Can't they just call them black?

It's a word and like many other words like it, it carries a lot of baggage. I personally use the word casually and I'm hispanic. I say it to friends, cousins, my siblings, and to describe dumb people in general, not just black people. It can only hurt us if we let it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian