By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will brawl and galaxy sell better WW then halo 3?

final sales:

wii sports>>>>>>>>wii play>>wii fit>>mario kart>ssbb>gta4 combined>>smg>mario party 9>halo 3>ff13>mgs4

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network
London_Calling said:
combined...yes
brawl on its own...50% chance
galaxy on its own...0.000000000000000000000000001% chance

thats my take

u fail at probability

look at the graphs of halo 3 vs galaxy...if both keep their same slope, smg will pass halo 3

and halo 3's slope has been declining faster than smg's slope has been

and wii's userbase is growing faster than 360's

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7069/halo3vssmgdf5.jpg

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

I think it would be fairer to compare sales of similar, if not same genres. Unfortunately, the Wii doesn't have any FPS' that can even come close to Halo. That being said, I do think both will eventually outsell Halo. As darconi stated, more FPS' will come and steal some of Halo's thunder. SMG and Smash Bros. likely won't even have any real competition within their genres. Particularly on the Wii. Unless Street Fighter IV comes out like has been hinted at by Capcom. Then it might give Brawl a run for it's money. I expect even then Brawl will be one of, if not the highest selling single game this generation.

Another factor is that in Japan the Xbox is selling dismal numbers and, barring divine intervention, will continue to.  This will strongly impact Halo 3 lifetime sales in comparison to SMG and Brawl.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I think That in time, SMG will (probably)

I am 98% sure that Brawl will, and I think it will speed past Halo.

SMG had no real advertising, and neither does brawl, but Brawl doesn't need it quite as much. Everyone's been hyping it. Also, Sonic + Snake in Brawl = HUGE Sales boost (especially Sonic, because of that EGM melee rumor)

Not to mention, Halo's main selling point (online Multiplayer) requires a paid subscription, while Brawl's is completely free

As for america... well, I'm not getting my hopes up. We have too many 360 Fanboys (not users) over here, not to mention that we were practically brainwashed with advertising...

I think both with outsell Halo eventually; I've been saying Mario Galaxy would outsell Halo since before both games launched, and I see no reason to change that.

I'm surprised that virtually everyone here thinks that Brawl is going to destroy Mario Galaxy is sales. You all realize that Brawl is a title that is MUCH more heavily frontloaded than Galaxy, right? Brawl sales are tremendous right out of the gate because (just like Halo) it appeals to hardcore fans of the console. That's not to say Smash Brothers doesn't have casual appeal - it does - but not as much as some of Nintendo's other franchises. I think there's an excellent chance that Galaxy will end up selling more copies overall than Brawl by the end of the generation, because it has much better legs long-term. (Think New Super Mario Brothers for the DS.)

Part of what's throwing off the comparisons is the fact that Smash Brothers Melee was the top-selling Gamecube game... but that's misleading because the Gamecube was a niche console that was ENTIRELY owned by Nintendo fans. The Wii has many more owners who are not die-hard "Mario boys", to whom Smash Brothers doesn't have the same appeal. I don't see the attach rate being as high this time around.

The other thing that throws off comparisons is the fact that Smash Brothers (like God of War/Metroid Prime/Metal Gear Solid) is a franchise with a rabid online following, which makes the game SEEM more popular than it really is. Don't get me wrong: Brawl has casual appeal, and it will definitely sell 10m copies. I just think you're all selling the main Mario series way, way short. There are tons of people out there who instantly know who Mario is, and have never heard of "Smash Brothers."

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Galaxy will be a Major Cmas title for several years. Mario's always sell medium and steady.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

SMG, maybe

Brawl, no doubt

Wii Fit, very likey

MKwii, ill wait until it come s out to make that deisoin

^Very true,

but DD was pretty much considered the worst MK ever, and was for a small userbase, still sold 7 million or so. MKWii has online 2x tracks, so it will be better(also removed that asinine two rider system). I think it will be the best selling MK yet (depending where DS ends up of course)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

yeah, I agree, wii games have longevity, to the max and beyond.

Not really a duck, but still a bird

FC:1771 9678 2579 1588