By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The chance to meet another person in no mans sky

I just thought about the chance (in %) to meet another person in no mans sky. I tried to solve this mathematically.

There will be 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets in the game. So even if the game will sell 50 mio copies (which will be as much as GTA V sold) that would be ~ 368.934.881.474 planets per player. So theoretical you have to visit 368.934.881.475 planets to get to a planet where at least another player WAS. The chance to visit a planets at the same time another player is at the planet is 1/368.934.881.475^2. Thats a chance of ~0,00000000000000000000000136 %.

The chance to win some millions in lottery is 0,000000000714 %.

And thats just the chance to be on the same planet. The planets will have realistic sizes. So just think about how big the chance is if you are in New York and another people is in tokio that you both will meet. Planets are giant.

So to be honest its impossible to visit another player in a realistic sized universe like no mans sky. 

I doubt many people cann imagien the size of the game. Think about how large the earth it. And know take this size x 18,446,744,073,709,551,616.

Im not even sure if there would even be the possibilty to meet another player. Why should they develop such a system if it will never happen?

Even the chance that another player will visit a planet you named before is 1/368.934.881.474  (with a 50mio playerbase). 

Thats 0,000000000000271%. That will most likely never happen^^. Again: The chances to win 1Mio$ in lotterly is bigger.

In my opinion all this multiplayer features (name planets, animals and co) is only marketing. Your thoughts?

Edit:

They said it will take a single player 5 billion years to visit each planet if he visit a different planet every second.

So if 5 billion people will play the game (thats almost the whole world population and very very unrealistic) and everybody would visit each seconds another planet, it would still take 1 year till each planet got visited ONCE. No sleep, no food, no not gaming in the full year for 5 billion people to visit each planet ONE SECOND.

The conclusion i get from this is, that 99,9+% of all planets in no mans sky will NEVER be visited by any humans at all. It will never happen, even with a 50mio people playerbase.

If we have 50 mio player and each player will play the game 100 hours average and visit 10 planets per hour, each player would visit 1000 planets at all. 

That would be 50.000.000.000 planets at all ever visited liftetime.

18,446,744,073,709,551,616 - 50.000.000.000 = ~ 18,446,744,068,709,551,616 planets that will NEVER be visited at all.

Around the Network

They said it will have a dedicated multiplayer mode iirc. But you're forgetting you can warp to planets, so if two players really wanted to meet up they could just warp to the same planet...

I assume you can load in someone's another game and play together, isn't it?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

JNK said:

I just thought about the chance (in %) to meet another person in no mans sky. I tried to solve this mathematically.

There will be 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets in the game. So even if the game will sell 50 mio copies (which will be as much as GTA V sold) that would be ~ 368.934.881.474 planets per player. So theoretical you have to visit 368.934.881.475 planets to get to a planet where at least another player WAS. The chance to visit a planets at the same time another player is at the planet is 1/368.934.881.475^2. Thats a chance of ~0,00000000000000000000000136 %.

The chance to win some millions in lottery is 0,000000000714 %.

And thats just the chance to be on the same planet. The planets will have realistic sizes. So just think about how big the chance is if you are in New York and another people is in tokio that you both will meet. Planets are giant.

So to be honest its impossible to visit another player in a realistic sized universe like no mans sky. 

I doubt many people cann imagien the size of the game. Think about how large the earth it. And know take this size x 18,446,744,073,709,551,616.

Im not even sure if there would even be the possibilty to meet another player. Why should they develop such a system if it will never happen?

Even the chance that another player will visit a planet you named before is 1/368.934.881.474  (with a 50mio playerbase). 

Thats 0,000000000000271%. That will most likely never happen^^. Again: The chances to win 1Mio$ in lotterly is bigger.

In my opinion all this multiplayer features (name planets, animals and co) is only marketing. Your thoughts?

Yeah... All that math is kind of meaningless when every player is headed to the center of the universe... Basically, the closer you get to the center, the higher the chance of running into another player will be.  Eventually there will be tons of players around you...

Teeqoz said:
They said it will have a dedicated multiplayer mode iirc. But you're forgetting you can warp to planets, so if two players really wanted to meet up they could just warp to the same planet...

well even if its possible to get to the same of the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets (you cant warp infinity distances so i even doubt it would be practical possible but okay) you wont meet if your just on the same planet.

If you are in new york and im in london it could take years till we both find each other (even with a space ship).The planets will have real sizes.

They need at least a coordinates which are very exact to make this possible. But i doubt a universe that big will have coordinates.

It would be like: 4734746583748573638947384x384748494875854948573848578x8384847589393829848489493938483

Around the Network
gergroy said:

Yeah... All that math is kind of meaningless when every player is headed to the center of the universe... Basically, the closer you get to the center, the higher the chance of running into another player will be.  Eventually there will be tons of players around you...

it doesnt really matter. i doubt you can imagine how big the universe will be. how long would you need to find me on earth with aircraft, if i would just stand anywhere and wait. Months? years?

I do know that its hard to imagine the size of a planet or universe though. If the center of the universe is one single point (like 1 pixel) then you might meet other planets 10 seconds before you arrive (depens on your speed).  Everything else is very unrealistic.

Just the thought alone that even if this became the best selling game of all time, with the largest player base of all time, there would still be hundreds of millions of planets for each individual player to claim. That's just insane.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

i feel like it needs to be said--- these planets are not Earth-sized. if you ever played Spore and got to the space stage, that is how big the planets will be. at least, thats what it looked like from the game demos I saw.

JNK said:
gergroy said:

it doesnt really matter. i doubt you can imagine how big the universe will be. how long would you need to find me on earth with aircraft, if i would just stand anywhere and wait. Months? years?

I do know that its hard to imagine the size of a planet or universe though. If the center of the universe is one single point (like 1 pixel) then you might meet other planets 10 seconds before you arrive (depens on your speed).  Everything else is very unrealistic.

You will probably spend just as much time around the space station in each system as on planets.  Trust me, you will run into plenty of players in the wild if you stick around long enough to make it to the center of the universe.

Yerm said:
i feel like it needs to be said--- these planets are not Earth-sized. if you ever played Spore and got to the space stage, that is how big the planets will be. at least, thats what it looked like from the game demos I saw.

uhm they said the planets will have realistic planet sizes and you will take weeks-month to pass completly around a planet on foot