By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - What Box office hit do you think did not deserve its Billion dollar gross?

Jurassic World, Avatar, Titanic, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, Furious 7 (probably, I haven't seen it but I don't understand the hype around any of these movies), The Hobbit, The Phantom Menace, Alice in Wonderland.

For the rest I don't know I'd say all necessary deserve $1 billion, but I wouldn't say they are undeserving either.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Iron Man 3, Furious 7, The Hobbit (what a snoozefest), all Transformer movies

Also, Pirates 4 and the awfully overrated Skyfall.

If it was for me, I would say none of them deserves to be in this top. Except The Dark Knight, LOTR and the Harry Potter finale.

Seen most of the movies that are over a billion. With the exceptions being Skyfall, furious 7 and the transformer movies. Many of those movies once was more then enough. Some I really enjoyed though too many rely on fan goodwill from previous movies.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
why is it that we have a bunch of people in here saying that something doesnt deserve the success it got, but when i say that PS4 doesn't deserve the sales it has attained so far, everybody loses their shit and says things like, "who are you to say that they don't deserve the sales they got?" but now when it comes to movies, everyone has an opinion about what something deserves? i find that interesting.

Because a movie is a single, static, discrete thing that will never deliver an experience other than what it already has. A console is constantly getting more content and delivers new experiences and offers future awesomeness. People buy consoles both for the now and for what will come. There is a certain level of confidence in what the future will hold for a console, and that comes with brand reputation.  Also there are hundreds of games which cater to a huge variety of preferences on a console. This makes deciding "deserved" sales much less tangeable for a product that delivers many and varied experiences, compared to a product that delivers a single experience to everyone.

Also you would not complain about PS4 sales being undeserved if Xb one and Wii U sales were also in the 20 millions and one of those was in the lead. Your complaint about PS4 sales is only because of the difference between it's sales and the sales of the competition, so it's a relative to what you prefer argument, which is not the same as this thread. No one is saying these $1 billion movies are undeserved because the Incredibles is a far better movie than most of the $1 billion club (in their opinion, which I would agree with) but only got 2/3 the box office gross of most of the $1 billion club movies that released within a few years of its release. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

A lot.

Around the Network

Almost that entire list is a sad reflection on our tastes, but what are you going to do.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I like this link...it adjusts for inflation. Unlike music and videogames, movies record their numbers by actual dollar amounts, which really can skew the figures. All the filml industry has to do is raise prices by a buck and you'll see an increase in sales. It leads the youth of today to believe they are living in unprecedented times when records are being shattered, rather than the truth which is that they are taking part in an inflation scheme.

kumagawa said:
AllThosePixels said:

Which is still good, yes, but Furious 7 did over $1.5 billion, which made it into one of the top 5 highest grossing films ever.

Furious 7 went to $390 million in China from Furious 6's $67 million, China is a rapidly growing market for films. 

Didn't realize that. Have noticed that quite a few movies recently get lots of money from China.

I agree! fast and furious 7 = garbage

and those god awful transformer movies.. ughhh

V-r0cK said:
Avatar - It was a futuristic Pocahontas and i think it made so much money because majority of people bought 3D tickets which is like 1.5 times the price of the standard.

Titanic - I felt like I was watching a reenacting documentary. I love watching documentaries and I've enjoyed many of them more than Titanic.

I love James Cameron movies but not those. Come back to Terminator (it really needs help) and Aliens please!!

are you kidding me?

what movie (or documentary hahahaha) can you name that matches (EVEN CLOSELY) the effects and set design that Titanic had? I mean it's pretty incredible the amount of work that went into recreating that ship

that movie's cast, effects, story, music- it's all superb. I understand not liking certain cheesy cliche's it has or maybe not appreciating its length but to doubt its quality is just silly

considering its run time I think Titanic is probably one of the most deserving 1B+ movies, it sold a LOT of tickets