By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you buy a more expensive PS4 with BC and a Cell CPU?

Would you buy such a PS4 Cell model?

yes, i would switch from ... 118 27.19%

yes, i would choose this one now 68 15.67%

no, i would choose the normal PS4 209 48.16%

no, i dont like the PS4 at all currently 39 8.99%

Total:434

No.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Bull, PSN has hundres of PS1/2 because people still enjoy them or missed out on them.

Great games from past gens can still be fun to new audiences. This is why Soy invested tons of money in PS Now.

Yeah and PSNow is better because the people don't have to already own the game.

What?

If you don't already own a game supported by 360 BC, you can just buy it physically or digitally.

The biggest issue with PS Now is you have to pay to play games you may or can own.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Lortsamler said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Is there a link or data  to  back up this quote?

Not the link i am refering to,but it does say the same --> http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/12/04/take-two-ceo-says-backwards-compatibility-doesnt-affect-consumers/

Wow thanks!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Mr Puggsly said:
Eddie_Raja said:

What?

If you don't already own a game supported by 360 BC, you can just buy it physically or digitally.

Exactly and so it isn't any better than PSnow for those people.  In fact since PSnow is instant it could be argued to be better.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

fatslob-:O said:
Ruler said:

crytek and epic havent brought something ground breaking since ages. 

Sure they did like Ryse: Son of Rome being a technical masterpiece and these unreal engine 4 demo's blow whatever Naughty Dog or Guerilla games are doing ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6EMc6eu3c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH2_RkfStSk

Ruler said:

The Cell CPU is a 3.2 Ghz CPU with 8 Threads/PPEs. Its in many ways stronegr than the Jaguar CPU. Look at the Last Guardian to see the fullest potential

The Cell is weak, the only time it ever even matches up against the Jaguar cores is cloth simulation or in other workloads with heavy crunching of vectors/matrices ...

No shared memory, poor branch handling, and a 256kB local store limit for SPUs all start adding up to a poor design for a CPU. Almost every modern x86 CPUs out there will run circles around the Cell processor including the disasterous AMD bulldozer ...

If the Cell was so strong why didn't Sony or their engineers opt for it on the PS4 ? 

Ruler said:

if you give the cell processor 1 single task like making the skin of the bird or the physics it should work like a breeze while the APU from the PS4 could do the rest 

According to Tachikoma, The last Guardian choked on the PS3 so how's that for a "breeze" ? 

It's pretty clear that your overrating the cell processor ...

Tech demos? lol. They dont make real games its self explenatory. Ryse son of rome looks worse than bloodborne, the order, imfamious, killzone, driveclub and knack. All these games look vissually more impressive or the engine is offering more stuff than Ryse.

Last guardian runs at 15 frames at worst with the cell the footage is showing, there is more than enough performance if you remove all the other stuff besides the birth or the leafs.

Sony removed it because third party devolopers are lazy. Games like MGS4 in 2008 looks better than the majority of gamnes coming out now for x86 systems and thgat game run on a cell.

Around the Network
Sixteenvolt420 said:

No, i wouldn't. I can care less about BC. Most people aren't going to go back and play old games, once they get used to the graphics and such from this gen. BC would be useful within the first year of the consoles release, that's about it, imo. As for recording gameplay, I can care less about that as well.

Most people wont use BC, but most people dont do the same thing on consoles. Even the most popular games arent played by most on a console.

I could argue most people dont care about niche Japanese or indie games but many do play them.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Eddie_Raja said:

What?

Exactly and so it isn't any better than PSnow for those people.  In fact since PSnow is instant it could be argued to be better.

For instant entertainment, PS Now is good.

For people who want to actually own a game and play it later without another rental fee, I wouldnt recommend PS Now. Also, PS Now has latency and degraded visual quality. A good emulator would be a better way to play PS3 games on a PS4.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

No, i wouldn't. I can care less about BC. Most people aren't going to go back and play old games, once they get used to the graphics and such from this gen. BC would be useful within the first year of the consoles release, that's about it, imo. As for recording gameplay, I can care less about that as well.

Most people wont use BC, but most people dont do the same thing on consoles. Even the most popular games arent played by most on a console.

I could argue most people dont care about niche Japanese or indie games but many do play them.

Oh, people definitely have different tastes when it comes to consoles, for sure. Like myself, i rarely ever play online multiplayer with any games, i just prefer a good story single player campaign. I get bored with the online stuff, doing the same crap over and over. I don't even bother buying games that are online only with no single player mode. Even in Destiny, i tried to avoid other players as much as possible. I'm one of the people who also can't care less about most Japanese games. I love a good RPG every once in a while though. As for indie games, i rarely ever buy them at full price from the PS Store. I'll usually wait til they're $10 or less, or PS+ freebies.

It just makes no sense for Sony to do BC at this point, when they don't need to waste the money doing so, with the way the console is already selling without it, and how quickly it was abandones with the PS3, last gen.

Ruler said:

Tech demos? lol. They dont make real games its self explenatory. Ryse son of rome looks worse than bloodborne, the order, imfamious, killzone, driveclub and knack. All these games look vissually more impressive or the engine is offering more stuff than Ryse.

Did you seriously just place Ryse as less visually impressive than Infamous, Knack and especially Bloodborne ?! While SIGGRAPH was awarding Ryse, From Software was making Bloodborne look like some mid gen game with framerate issues ... 

Newsflash, what you just listed doesn't come close to the technology their pushing and they've made real games before like it or not ...

Ruler said:

Last guardian runs at 15 frames at worst with the cell the footage is showing, there is more than enough performance if you remove all the other stuff besides the birth or the leafs.

Tachikoma has LITERALLY stated that The Last Guardian was running in SINGLE DIGITS! No moderate downgrades would've even made the game playable! The Cell processor is clearly trash since it had to leave it's new brother (PS4) to deliver the long awaited hype behind that game ...

Ruler said:

Sony removed it because third party devolopers are lazy. Games like MGS4 in 2008 looks better than the majority of gamnes coming out now for x86 systems and thgat game run on a cell.

MGS4 looks better than the majority of games coming out now ? MGS4 looks like junk by today's AAA standards and even indie games are crapping all over it in when it comes to graphics! 

Third party developers are lazy ? Who are you to claim that their lazy when you yourself are not a developer ? Just how much untruths are you going to keep spreading about the Cell processor ? 

Eddie_Raja said:
Lortsamler said:

Not the link i am refering to,but it does say the same --> http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/12/04/take-two-ceo-says-backwards-compatibility-doesnt-affect-consumers/

Wow thanks!

There should be other articles on internet about this. I know i was reading an article just a week ago,where Sony said the same. But i couldn't find it when i googled it. But reading about other companies saying the same thing,strenghten the claim from Sony even more.