By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What if Sony started charging for online?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the search.

I plan to buy a PS3 soon. The free online is part of the reason I am choosing the PS3 over the 360.

Now to the discusion:

If 6-months or 1-year from now Sony decided they would start charging for online play I would not be very happy. To me its like a bait and switch. Knowing you have the fee with 360 (Live) is one thing, but advertising that Sony's online is free then changing it would not sit well with me. Unless I was hooked on a games online play I wouldn't be very likely to pay for it because of the bait and switch. It wouldn't sit well with me and I would remember that when its time to buy the next console. Lets assume the cost for online play would be the same as 360 (Live) and you enjoy playing games online.

Would you be happy that you had it free for so long, so in the long run its a better deal than the competition?

Would you feel cheated/bait and switched?

Other?

Just curious how others would feel about it.

Around the Network

If that were so I would never pay for online.

mM

I would prefer it to stay free as it would mean more money for games.  However, I would pay as long as it was reasonably priced maybe around xbox live price.

Consoles owned: 80GB PS3 w/bc, PS3 Slim 120gb
PSN: Yubitme        

I hate these what ifs. They don't charge you and haven't stated that they would. Leave it at that. If they ever do then it's worthy of conversation and no I wouldn't pay for it.

I'd pay. It was never really a point against the 360 IMO. Just like the no games argument against PS3 has lost it's meaning.

Around the Network

They wont.

They set a precedent now they got to follow it.

I have to go with what Leo-J said, if they charge, I won't go online.

It's as simple as that.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I don't see how they can't eventually without putting themselves in worse financial trouble. Maintaining a good online service isn't free (for them at least), and the more people using it the more expensive it gets. No online service stays completely free forever. They may eventually have a "premium online package" and a gimped free one. But unless they just plan on the PS3 always being a money pit, they will have to charge for online somehow sooner or later.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
I don't see how they can't eventually without putting themselves in worse financial trouble. Maintaining a good online service isn't free (for them at least), and the more people using it the more expensive it gets. No online service stays completely free forever. They may eventually have a "premium online package" and a gimped free one. But unless they just plan on the PS3 always being a money pit, they will have to charge for online somehow sooner or later.

Thats cause you have no clue wtf your talking about.

Selling games movies tv shows songs thats how they will pay for it and keep it free, making that a pay service would limit their user base.  If its free a hell of lot more people will log on occasionally and buy somethign here and there, making it a pay service would mostly make it a thing only hardcore gamers use. 

I don't think Sony will charge for online, but expect micro transactions... such as Hats for your Home avatars

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)