By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What if Sony started charging for online?

Mars said:
They wont.

They set a precedent now they got to follow it.

I'm far too classy to respond to this by bringing up issues such as backwards compatibility and lack of rumble.  Far too classy, kind sir. 

Around the Network

if they ever charge i will never go online.

but they wont. but they will charge for hats and stuff in home etc etc.

Alasted said:
Mars said:
They wont.

I'm far too classy to respond to this by bringing up issues such as backwards compatibility and lack of rumble. Far too classy, kind sir.

Pure ignorance.

They did not give it to you then take it away making you pay for it.  

Mars said:
Alasted said:
Mars said:
They wont.

I'm far too classy to respond to this by bringing up issues such as backwards compatibility and lack of rumble. Far too classy, kind sir.

Pure ignorance.

They did not give it to you then take it away making you pay for it.  

Well, now that we have established that I am purely ignorant, I am curious as to whether or not you would pay for online in the OP's purely hypothetical scenario.

I think they plan to keep it free with in home advertising.

Around the Network

I would much rather see advertisements (off to the side, out of the way) then pay a monthly fee. Billboards in game, etc. sounds like a great way to pay for the service and not charge the customer.

I would definatly feel cheated. Besides, what would they really be charging us for anyway. Digital distribution and online services are basically free to them and they're sevices are behind live's. (not that I take pleasure in paying for a few extra features but anyway...) It will never happen I can basically guarentee that.

I don't understand why people give so much credit to the online aspects of a game. Sure, games like Smash Bros. or Call of Duty are nothing without them, but seriously, if you want SERIOUS online, get a PC.

On a sidenote, I've noticed most reviewers nowadays subtract points from the games they're reviewing just for not having online functions. Reviews are so technical these days.

As long as demos are free and you get get PSN titles without subscribing, I'd just wait until there was an exclusive online game I really wanted to play.  I can get my multiplayer fix for free on my PC.

I can see it possibly happening, just remember that Live was pretty much free for the first 2 years (Every game you bought for the XBOX 180 came with a 3 month XBL card).

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling