By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

JEMC said:
hansrob00 said:

I believe power wise that the handheld and the console will be failry close together spec wise is because that's the only way they will be able to port their games onto both systems extremely easily (at least according to Iwata to have them be brothers in an ecosystem much like how apple does their products. You can't take a ps4 game and port it onto a ps2, hell you can't even take a ps4 game and easily port it to the ps3. Even with pcs for the newer games, even if you drop the resolution down to 720, and minimize a lot of the other game settings, the game will only play within a certain range of machines. I believe at most, the handheld can only be about a half generation behind the console in terms of power. So when the NX comes out and you get something that is considered like ps3.5 powerwise for the console, the furthest back the handheld would be is a ps3. The Wii U is probably more like a ps3.2. So powerwise the console may be somewhere halfway between the wii u and the ps4, and handheld will be about as strong as the wii u, if you go by how Nintendo has done their previous handhelds.

They'll be like brothers, not like twins. I'm seven years older than my brother (nothing important now but quite a difference when we were younger) and we are very different physically. Yet we have the same surnames and brown eyes. That's what I think Iwata meant to say with that comparison. Both devices will be "Nintendo" and both will share the same OS, something that would allow them to share some of its library. After all, not every iPad App works on an iPhone and viceversa, so there's no reason to assume that every game has to run on both devices.

And despite what it looks like, very few Nintendo games can be considered taxing on the hardware side. Don't get me wrong, they are very pretty and their art style makes them stand above the competition (both in their machines but also compared to their competitors offerings), but they generally don't make their hardware sweat.Take the last Smash Bros as an example. It's the same basic game on both versions just with the graphics adjusted down for the 3DS. And that's with a machine that's not more powerful than a Wii and another one that's more powerful than a PS3/360. And with completely different hardware.

Is there a reason why Captain Toad couldn't run on the 3DS? Kirby, Yoshi, Pikmin, Donkey, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart or Tennis...? There are lots and lots of games that look great on WiiU that could run on the 3DS (Hyrule Warriors being the latest example, though that's not a Nintendo game). And on the other side, there will still be games that would be impossible to port from WiiU to 3DS like Xenoblade X or Bayonetta, but there are also 3DS games that while could run on WiiU, they don't fit in a home console.

And that's the way Nintendo should go: launching those brother-like machines that can share 90% of their games library but that also offers something unique for the ones that prefer playing on the go and for those that prefer playing on a TV.

And the usual Third parties talk... well, by now Nintendo should have realized that they can only count on themselves, so while they shouldn't close the door to Third parties, what they should do is consider their own needs first and then, if the others want to come onboard, welcome them.

He didn't say identical, he said fairly close spec wise. That would be like brothers, not twins.

Take the iPhone 6 (A8) & iPad Air 2 (A8X) for example. iPhone 6 has a 1.4ghz dual-core CPU, 136 gflop GPU, 1GB RAM compared to iPad Air 2 with a 1.5ghz tri-core CPU, 272 gflop GPU, 2gb RAM. Similar yet still different and like 99% of games/apps are shared.

I don't think it's unrealistic to see a similar approach with the next Nintendo handheld & console. Put it this way, NX Portable=GameCube, NX Console=Wii.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
JEMC said:
hansrob00 said:

I believe power wise that the handheld and the console will be failry close together spec wise is because that's the only way they will be able to port their games onto both systems extremely easily (at least according to Iwata to have them be brothers in an ecosystem much like how apple does their products. You can't take a ps4 game and port it onto a ps2, hell you can't even take a ps4 game and easily port it to the ps3. Even with pcs for the newer games, even if you drop the resolution down to 720, and minimize a lot of the other game settings, the game will only play within a certain range of machines. I believe at most, the handheld can only be about a half generation behind the console in terms of power. So when the NX comes out and you get something that is considered like ps3.5 powerwise for the console, the furthest back the handheld would be is a ps3. The Wii U is probably more like a ps3.2. So powerwise the console may be somewhere halfway between the wii u and the ps4, and handheld will be about as strong as the wii u, if you go by how Nintendo has done their previous handhelds.

They'll be like brothers, not like twins. I'm seven years older than my brother (nothing important now but quite a difference when we were younger) and we are very different physically. Yet we have the same surnames and brown eyes. That's what I think Iwata meant to say with that comparison. Both devices will be "Nintendo" and both will share the same OS, something that would allow them to share some of its library. After all, not every iPad App works on an iPhone and viceversa, so there's no reason to assume that every game has to run on both devices.

And despite what it looks like, very few Nintendo games can be considered taxing on the hardware side. Don't get me wrong, they are very pretty and their art style makes them stand above the competition (both in their machines but also compared to their competitors offerings), but they generally don't make their hardware sweat.Take the last Smash Bros as an example. It's the same basic game on both versions just with the graphics adjusted down for the 3DS. And that's with a machine that's not more powerful than a Wii and another one that's more powerful than a PS3/360. And with completely different hardware.

Is there a reason why Captain Toad couldn't run on the 3DS? Kirby, Yoshi, Pikmin, Donkey, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart or Tennis...? There are lots and lots of games that look great on WiiU that could run on the 3DS (Hyrule Warriors being the latest example, though that's not a Nintendo game). And on the other side, there will still be games that would be impossible to port from WiiU to 3DS like Xenoblade X or Bayonetta, but there are also 3DS games that while could run on WiiU, they don't fit in a home console.

And that's the way Nintendo should go: launching those brother-like machines that can share 90% of their games library but that also offers something unique for the ones that prefer playing on the go and for those that prefer playing on a TV.

And the usual Third parties talk... well, by now Nintendo should have realized that they can only count on themselves, so while they shouldn't close the door to Third parties, what they should do is consider their own needs first and then, if the others want to come onboard, welcome them.

He didn't say identical, he said fairly close spec wise. That would be like brothers, not twins.

Take the iPhone 6 (A8) & iPad Air 2 (A8X) for example. iPhone 6 has a 1.4ghz dual-core CPU, 136 gflop GPU, 1GB RAM compared to iPad Air 2 with a 1.5ghz tri-core CPU, 272 gflop GPU, 2gb RAM. Similar yet still different and like 99% of games/apps are shared.

I don't think it's unrealistic to see a similar approach with the next Nintendo handheld & console. Put it this way, NX Portable=GameCube, NX Console=Wii.

My opinion, but if the difference between handheld and home consoles is that small, Nintendo should go with identical specs for both devices and get a better deal with their suppliers.

And also give both machines the same price.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

RolStoppable said:

Lack of interest is really hard to buy as a viable excuse when it comes to a system where everyone could expect a minimum of at least 50m systems being sold. In the end game development is a business, so foregoing working on a platform because you don't feel like it is... well, it sounds really selfish.

Power might be part of the reason, but it's meaningless to have power when the result is still that a lot of games would be absent because the reasons go way beyond power. Ultimately, the reason why various third parties would not develop for the Nintendo console could be once again described as "devs were just not interested". And if power isn't the cure to lack of third party support, then it really isn't important how powerful Nintendo's next system is. What matters is that the system sells and there's simply no evidence that power has ever helped Nintendo to move hardware.

I suspected that you would name those four systems. The problem is that the NES wasn't a me-too system and that the N64 and GC can't be described as successes. So there's only one console left and even that one declined in sales from its predecessor; furthermore, it was also launched in the pre-Sony and Microsoft era, and the market dynamics have clearly changed a lot since then.

You are right that Nintendo could have produced a 1 teraflop system with 4GB RAM if they spent the money on processing power instead of the Gamepad, but what makes you believe that it would have sold? When it comes to power, it would have still been behind the PS4 and X1, so the market at large would have decided to wait for the other two systems before making a decision. When it comes to third parties, some of them would have still not developed for the Nintendo console for whatever reason they could come up with, which in turn would have made the decision for the market easier to buy a PS4 or X1 instead. Lastly, launching the console with a standard dual analog controller would have turned off the Wii audience even more than the Gamepad did. In the sum Nintendo would basically be at exactly the same point as they are now, trailing far behind the competition in sales.

The problem with what you're saying is Nintendo has never really made a "me too" system.  Or at least not done it well.  Every system since N64 has had a blunder of a decsion that negatively impacted it.   Carts, mini-discs and pruple boxes, no HD, low power with no hard drive and a tired looking design and name.

Despite your insistence that NES wasn't a me-too system, I remember it at the time as being very much like my ColecoVision, only better.  I played DK on Coleco, I now had the vastly superior SMB on my NES.  The circular joystick which was prone to breaking was replaced by the much more comfortable, accurate and durable gamepads.  Third party arcade-style games like Contra and Gradius were everywhere.  It was a gamers dream.

If Nintendo had made Wii U a better system without the gamepad, they might have done better but they certainly wouldn't be doing worse.  No one would miss the second screen, but more standard design with more flops, RAM and a hard drive to install games and patches may have coaxed a few more third party titles.

Now, if Nintendo did a me-too system but did it better and with more innovation, that's where they could really kick ass.  Wii was great, but if it could have offered the AAA third party experience with games like COD and Ass Creed, it could have been a PS2 level success.  I know tonnes of people that bought Wiis first but also eventually bought a PS360 to get the games they were missing.

There is no reason why Nintendo can't make a system that is innovative, cool, has great original content from them, but is also in the same ball park as its competitors in terms of power.  50% of the highest powered system is plenty, and Nintendo should be targeting at least this regardless of other innovations.

Check out this video where the guy explains why it is smart to not make the NX as powerful as the PS4. Gives you another perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBTtCM3tOw

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

If the NX goes Arm route, and go mobile having ps3+ performance, then it will ve very close to high end smartphones and tablets. Todays Smartphones and tablets have graphic cards that have ps3 performance. Two years from now, they will be even faster. Casual gamers will play on that platforms, not in NX. Maybe japanese will. Hardcore gamers will be on MSft or Sony side.

Around the Network

All those that are talking about power they don't know a shit , ps1 , ps2 and Wii had less power than other consoles and dominated the market.
People care about games , if they cared only for power they all would have owned gaming pc instead of buying weak consoles.

Apart from the fact that we'll be able to play games on it, we know NOTHING about NX. Any speculations are simply pointless. And people here are already saying that they don't like it ?! WTF! You don't even know what it is ! Jeez

Davman said:
All those that are talking about power they don't know a shit , ps1 , ps2 and Wii had less power than other consoles and dominated the market.
People care about games , if they cared only for power they all would have owned gaming pc instead of buying weak consoles.

Yep. But people just choose to ignore facts.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Davman said:

When power determines third-party support it does make a difference.

Kristof81 said:
Apart from the fact that we'll be able to play games on it, we know NOTHING about NX. Any speculations are simply pointless. And people here are already saying that they don't like it ?! WTF! You don't even know what it is ! Jeez

I'm not buying it due to Nintendo's poor support for Wii U. Wii U wasn't worth the $300 I spent on it.