By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Shuffle coming to iOS and Android later this year.

this was obvious.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

http://arcadesushi.com/nintendo-wont-port-classic-games-to-phones-doing-the-opposite/

"And, if I can talk a bit further about our game development plan, we will continue doing our best to develop dedicated game titles for our dedicated game hardware platforms just as we have been doing. For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices."   ~Iwata, March 2015

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/14/6949455/pokemon-mobile-game-freak-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire

"If we were to bring Pokémon to iPad or mobile or smartphones or anything, I think there would need to be ... some sort of problem it would be solving, not just that it would be porting over old games, for example," Masuda said via translator.

thats why mobile gets an adicting f2pish puzzlegame and not pokemon x/y

Imagine all the whiners who don't know any better asking "why no Pokemon RPG on iOS/Android"?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Good call. It's a stupid game, but very popular. It will be a moneymaker for Nintendo and the Pokemon Company.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

spemanig said:
The Pokemon branch has nothing to do with Nintendo's mobile branch, so I would not be worried about how indicative it is of Nintendo's first mobile game.

If Nintendo's mobile games are just like Shuffle, they're in trouble.

Why? If anything this is a perfect model. They'd be in deeper trouble if they made actual quality games for mobiles.

This is nothing but a pool of money for Nintendo. They have nothing to lose with this. If they can get by with the 3DS version (which is probably the worst place for that particular f2p model game there), they can definitely make a huge racket in the mobile department with the Pokemon IP alone. 

Around the Network

I am surprised it took this long for them to release it on mobile..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

So they tested the water on their core audience to see if it would find any kind of acceptance, were satisfied with the results and are bringing it to mobile now. I wonder how much actual microtransaction money they actually made on 3ds with it.
I tried it out, and while the core gameplay is addictive it's the worst sort of wait-to-play ftp. Haven't touched it since.
Also I assumed they advertised the game on all 3ds systems, but maybe that wasn't the case? I got a message saying new software was available and if I wanted to start the download automatically. Turned out to be Pokemon Shuffle.

Kotastic said:

Why? If anything this is a perfect model. They'd be in deeper trouble if they made actual quality games for mobiles.

This is nothing but a pool of money for Nintendo. They have nothing to lose with this. If they can get by with the 3DS version (which is probably the worst place for that particular f2p model game there), they can definitely make a huge racket in the mobile department with the Pokemon IP alone. 

Why? Because a game like Shuffle has no staying power and no potential to become a smash hit. It's like that new Sonic mobile game. It's been downloaded like 100m times, but that doesn't matter because no ones talking about it, which means that no ones playing it. Shuffle was downloaded by 4m 3DS owners. Be surprised if even 2% have dropped a penny on it, and I'd be surprised if more than 10% touched it after there first week owning it.

So yeah, if that's all they're games will be, they're in trouble. They need something like words with friends. Something that becomes culturally relevant, and that is played for a long time. 

Considering the freemium model of the game, this was bound to happen at some point.

spemanig said:
Kotastic said:

Why? Because a game like Shuffle has no staying power and no potential to become a smash hit. It's like that new Sonic mobile game. It's been downloaded like 100m times, but that doesn't matter because no ones talking about it, which means that no ones playing it. Shuffle was downloaded by 4m 3DS owners. Be surprised if even 2% have dropped a penny on it, and I'd be surprised if more than 10% touched it after there first week owning it.

So yeah, if that's all they're games will be, they're in trouble. They need something like words with friends. Something that becomes culturally relevant, and that is played for a long time. 

The 3DS crowd =/= Casual crowd. They are the people that want quality hardcore games, not casual games.

Most 3DS owners hate Shuffle, but I can guarantee most casual crowd will eat this up. The Sonic IP is nowhere near as powerful as the Pokemon IP, and Shuffle is taking on the model of Candy Crush (which is far too popular than it needs to be). I see no reason why Shuffle would fail. 

Whatever, it is theory and if it fails, shame.