By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Shuffle coming to iOS and Android later this year.

spemanig said:
The Pokemon branch has nothing to do with Nintendo's mobile branch, so I would not be worried about how indicative it is of Nintendo's first mobile game.

If Nintendo's mobile games are just like Shuffle, they're in trouble.

Can't fully express with words how much I agree with you here.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Kotastic said:

Why? If anything this is a perfect model. They'd be in deeper trouble if they made actual quality games for mobiles.

This is nothing but a pool of money for Nintendo. They have nothing to lose with this. If they can get by with the 3DS version (which is probably the worst place for that particular f2p model game there), they can definitely make a huge racket in the mobile department with the Pokemon IP alone. 

Why? Because a game like Shuffle has no staying power and no potential to become a smash hit. It's like that new Sonic mobile game. It's been downloaded like 100m times, but that doesn't matter because no ones talking about it, which means that no ones playing it. Shuffle was downloaded by 4m 3DS owners. Be surprised if even 2% have dropped a penny on it, and I'd be surprised if more than 10% touched it after there first week owning it.

So yeah, if that's all they're games will be, they're in trouble. They need something like words with friends. Something that becomes culturally relevant, and that is played for a long time. 

nah its going to be succesful, especially in japan

Thus it begins...

Well, that game is likely going to be a big hit on mobile devices.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

WhiteEaglePL said:
spemanig said:
The Pokemon branch has nothing to do with Nintendo's mobile branch, so I would not be worried about how indicative it is of Nintendo's first mobile game.

If Nintendo's mobile games are just like Shuffle, they're in trouble.

Both of you should know this is GameFreak, not Nintendo nor DeNA.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Kotastic said:

Why? If anything this is a perfect model. They'd be in deeper trouble if they made actual quality games for mobiles.

This is nothing but a pool of money for Nintendo. They have nothing to lose with this. If they can get by with the 3DS version (which is probably the worst place for that particular f2p model game there), they can definitely make a huge racket in the mobile department with the Pokemon IP alone. 

Why? Because a game like Shuffle has no staying power and no potential to become a smash hit. It's like that new Sonic mobile game. It's been downloaded like 100m times, but that doesn't matter because no ones talking about it, which means that no ones playing it. Shuffle was downloaded by 4m 3DS owners. Be surprised if even 2% have dropped a penny on it, and I'd be surprised if more than 10% touched it after there first week owning it.

So yeah, if that's all they're games will be, they're in trouble. They need something like words with friends. Something that becomes culturally relevant, and that is played for a long time. 

Lots of those kinds of games make an incredible amount of money.

If it get downloaded 100m times and everyone spends a single penny, that's a million dollars. However, that's not how mobile makes money. It focuses on that 1% of players who are willing to spend 50$ upwards.

Slarvax said:
WhiteEaglePL said:

well, yeah, lol.....

theprof00 said:

Lots of those kinds of games make an incredible amount of money.

If it get downloaded 100m times and everyone spends a single penny, that's a million dollars. However, that's not how mobile makes money. It focuses on that 1% of players who are willing to spend 50$ upwards.

Which is specifically what Nintendo said they are not doing. Nintendo are not trying to focus on whales. Like you said, that's not how mobile works. 100m downloads means shit when only 1% are spending money. And once that 1% stops caring, your game is dead. Nintendo want to release mobile games where all 100m people are almost guaranteed to spend at least and at most $1-5. The monitization strategy will be built that way.

The Pokemon Shuffle way of doing things isn't happening, and Shuffle on mobile will not be a lasting and impactful game to TPC. Just like the Pokedex app wasn't and just like the TGC game wasn't.

You know what is happening? The Rusty's Real Deal Baseball form of monitization. A free to start way to get every customer to spend a little. But instead of being on a game like Rusty with limited staying power, it'll be on a game like Words with Friends that is designed to keep people playing socially and passively for an extended and theoretically infinite amount of time.

WwF x Rusty x Major 1st party IP. That's what Nintendo's mobile games will be, and that's what will set the market on fire.

Slarvax said:

It's not Gamefreak. It's Genius Sonority, and Shuffle was published by Nintendo. So it is Nintendo. It's just not Nintendo and DeNA.

Now if you meant to say that this is the subsidiary, The Pokemon Company, then you would be right.

Definitely no surprised at all.

I will just be sad when they announce that Pokemon Shuffle ios has made them several millions of dollars because they will further invest more resources into mobile games....

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda