By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation 2 about to overtake Gameboy as the most successful system EVER

Amazing, but I guess something had to pass the GB sooner or later.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

noooooooo poor GB, and GBcolor. you can maintain your lead.

So how long till the DS passes the PS2?

The DS has quite a ways to go. If it is on the market for more than 5 years, it will have a chance. Also, when is it financially smart for Sony to pull the plug on the PS2? Cause the PS3 is going through their profits like a prostitute on payday.

By then, they should release a new version of the DS. Either that, or an all new portable system, with Tri-Screen, 1 and a half touch screens, and tilt-sensitivity feature. It shall be called the Nintendo TS.

Around the Network

Wouldn't the PC be the most successful game system ever? After all you are considering multiple versions of GB and DS and PS2 in your totals, so wouldn't all of the various versions of PC's be considered the same and thus be way over the 120m units sold?

Both technically weak compared to their peers - esp. the original GB. It's not a fair comparison tbh as the GB series featured numerous significant upgrades whereas the PS2 always remained the same. You could easily argue that PS1 & 3 sales should be included in such a comparison.

SpaceJase said:
Both technically weak compared to their peers - esp. the original GB. It's not a fair comparison tbh as the GB series featured numerous significant upgrades whereas the PS2 always remained the same. You could easily argue that PS1 & 3 sales should be included in such a comparison.

You do realize that the PS2 went through about 15 revisions?

All Gameboy iterations do the same thing, play gameboy games. And the gameboy cannot play GBA games. So, a hardware revision is always counted.

superchunk, PCs aren't specifically designed to play games. They are all purpose machines, made by a whole lot of different companies. Not only that, you can upgrade a PC piece by piece. How often do you take apart your PS2 and put in a faster EE chip in it? And when's the last time you wrote a paper on your Gamecube? ;)

hound said:
So how long till the DS passes the PS2?

I really don't think it's out of the question that the DS starts selling a 30 million a year pace for the next few years. That would mean around 100 million DS's sold by mid 2009. Probably by then the DS will slow a bit, but there after it could still sell 15-20 million units a year, and assuming the PS2 ends around 130 million, by the end of 2010 the DS will be the best selling system of all time. The next true Nintendo handheld successor (no counting another remade DS which is possibly if not likely to happen) might not come untill 2011. Not only might the DS suprass the PS2, it may demolish it's record. Over 150 wouldn't be impossible.

ioi said:

Gameboy Pocket is no more of an upgrade than PSTwo.

I guess you could argue GBC was, but then the core processor and basic architecture remained pretty much the same.

Something like 40m of the PS2 total is from PSTwos, so you could argue to not include that, same with DS Lite, GBA SP etc.

Personally, if I were Sony, I'd be dropping PS2 like a stone at the moment and pushing everything over to PS3.

What you say is true, but a lot of people re-bought the gameboy when the pocket and color versions came out, so one person may have bought 3.  Of course, I bought 2 PS2s (but not PStwo), so I guess it evens out.

Also of note:  PSP passes the Gamecube and Xbox and looks to close in on the Genesis and N64 in the next 6 months.  I wonder if the PSP will reach SNES numbers (49.8 million).   The PSP will retire as at least the 8th best selling console ever.  Not too bad.