By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX to replace both Wii-U and 3DS? Rumor based on Iwata speech

Last Thursday during a shareholders meeting Nintendo President Satoru Iwata commented on the upcoming NX platform, stating that detials will remain a secret for now and that satisfying Wii-U owners is a priority. More specifically he said this:

“The NX is new hardware, and will start from 0. However, the 3DS and Wii U have install bases. Immediately cutting off software for previous hardware upon the release of a new machine is inefficient.

“We will continue making 3DS and Wii software while preparing for the NX. We are prioritizing satisfying customers who purchased the Wii U.”

Now this might not seem like interesting news at first, weren't it that he just mentioned the 3DS and Wii-U platform together as being replaced. And not just once, but twice! This means that NX is likely to replace both 3DS and Wii-U, pretty much confirming rumors about a ''fusion'' platform. What kind of hardware we can expect exactly remains to be seen, but unifying both platforms and their potential install bases is a interesting prospect to say the least.

Satoru Iwata might not have wanted to share any details about the NX just yet, but it looks like he just revealed the most important one.

Around the Network

I'm intrigued.

Yep Nintendo is scared of leaking their "gimmick" but everyone knows it ll be game cartridges that can run on both a home console and a mobile handheld version.

Ka-pi96 said:
Jumping to conclusions much?

In those quoted lines he doesn't actually say 'replace' once. What he's more than likely referring to is something like how when Sony released the PS4 they completely dropped any and all support from then on for their older platforms (including the Vita which wasn't being replaced).

I'm not sure why you mention Sony but i'm pretty sure he is reffering to their own previous platforms. And why would he mention 3DS install base together with Wii-U if that system is not about the get replaced. And then mention it again when talking about software support? Why even mention software support for your handheld device when commenting on a new home console? They are both getting replaced, it's the only conclusion.

Now that is interesting to say the least. This could be a brilliant move. Imagine something with nearly the power of current gen consoles that can double up as a handheld....

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Around the Network

He doesn't say that at all. :/
He probably mentioned 3DS and Wii U together, because he doesn't want to reveal what exactly NX is, either a handheld or a console. So I don't think this confirms anything... Also NX is supposed to be a third system next to their consoles and handhelds, so it still makes a lot of sense.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

AnthonyW86 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Jumping to conclusions much?

In those quoted lines he doesn't actually say 'replace' once. What he's more than likely referring to is something like how when Sony released the PS4 they completely dropped any and all support from then on for their older platforms (including the Vita which wasn't being replaced).

I'm not sure why you mention Sony but i'm pretty sure he is reffering to their own previous platforms. And why would he mention 3DS install base together with Wii-U if that system is not about the get replaced. And then mention it again when talking about software support? Why even mention software support for your handheld device when commenting on a new home console? They are both getting replaced, it's the only conclusion.

They said previous the NX will be a complete new system which will coexist next to wii u and 3ds. If this is right, all his quotes would still fit perfectly.

This is what they showed so far. 

The NX could be somethign that isnt a home console or a handheld. I dont know what it is then though.

Please let this be true. I don't see his statement as a definitive proof, but I hope they deliver on the Fusion.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

AnthonyW86 said:

Now this might not seem like interesting news at first, weren't it that he just mentioned the 3DS and Wii-U platform together as being replaced. And not just once, but twice! This means that NX is likely to replace both 3DS and Wii-U, pretty much confirming rumors about a ''fusion'' platform. What kind of hardware we can expect exactly remains to be seen, but unifying both platforms and their potential install bases is a interesting prospect to say the least.

NX is a PLATFORM. So more like an Operation System which can run on DIFFERENT HARDWARE.

While it could be possible to make a (New) 3DS successor which can be used on a TV (maybe even stream to it like Apple TV etc.) - that doesn't make much sense as more powerful GPUs simply need more cooling then a plastic handheld case without any fan can provide.

Also of concern is pricing: the better the performance/watt ratio is - the higher the components prices are. Nintendo is known to use low budget components and get the most out of it. 

And for some years to come having two different dedicated machines are simply the most efficient way to deliver performance/money.

NX main target is to drop development costs. This is even more important as when NX is going to be Linux with some Android libraries - Nintendo can use the SAME CODE BASE to deliver console, handheld AND mobile games.

It is even possible TO MAKE THE WII U AN NX CONSOLE by updating their OS. There is enough Flash in them even in the basic Wii Us to make this possible...

Funny coming from Nintendo , not very honest, they already ported all their big projects on NX, its Kinda obvious with the last E3

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m