By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - U.S. Supreme Court Votes Gay Marriage Constitutional and Legal

Illusion said:

I absolutely do not hate or fear homosexuals, but I do believe that God designed our bodies and meant for male and female sex organs to be used in a complimentary manner.  The problem is that here in Canada, homophobia has inccorrectly been expanded to include Christian sexual teaching and it's now almost illegal to hold a Christian belief on sexuality.

I'm sure most here disagree with my beliefs, but I hope you can at least remember the mistakes of the 20th century and what happened when we took legal actions against certain religions that we deemed them "undesirable."  We should all protect freedom of religion.

the thing is that we do all kinds of things with our bodies that they technically weren't designed for like smoking for example

and yet there is no objection to something like that... its only when sex is involved that there's suddenly an outrage

Around the Network
Esiar said:

You should look into the era thing. That thing was debunked. But it has nothing to do with gay marriage, so discussing it here would be off-topic.

nope i'm pretty sure it means age

what you have to acknowledge first though is that the bible to a large degree is based on astrological alegories

love between two people, happiness between two people.

That's all that matters, regardless of their genders, if it:s against peoples personal beliefs then they can choose not to partake in it, however personal beliefs are just that, personal, regardless of if its founded on bigotry, religion or preference you should not try to force this on anyone else.

Marriage between two people of the same sex is against your religion? Then live your life and don't marry someone of the same sex. Don't like that other people want to do it? Get over yourself.

I'm thankful that the SCOTUS is bounded by the constitution and not by a popular vote. The founding fathers clearly understood that the wishes of the idiotic masses can make life hell for minorities (and have done so repeatedly over history).

A good day for reason, a bad day for faith.

Tachikoma said:

That's all that matters, regardless of their genders
, if it:s against peoples personal beliefs then they can choose not to partake in it, however personal beliefs are just that, personal, regardless of if its founded on bigotry, religion or preference you should not try to force this on anyone else.

Marriage between two people of the same sex is against your religion? Then live your life and don't marry someone of the same sex. Don't like that other people want to do it? Get over yourself.

i agree with the sentiment, tho i've always wondered about japanese culture/society and its views on this subject. it seems that, tho very forward-thinking in almost every other way, on same-sex marriage japan is in a kind of time-warp...

Around the Network
carl_barx said:

i agree with the sentiment, tho i've always wondered about japanese culture/society and its views on this subject. it seems that, tho very forward-thinking in almost every other way, on same-sex marriage japan is in a kind of time-warp...

It'll get there, someday.

At least, I hope so.

carl_barx said:
Tachikoma said:

That's all that matters, regardless of their genders
, if it:s against peoples personal beliefs then they can choose not to partake in it, however personal beliefs are just that, personal, regardless of if its founded on bigotry, religion or preference you should not try to force this on anyone else.

The traditional Japanese view on marriage is more or less that love has absolutely nothing to do with it, and in fact should be found pretty much anywhere but matrimony.  Marriage is about furthering and empowering the family line, nothing more.  Nowadays, who knows what those lunatics are thinking, they're more into 2D women than real ones and in a few generations a full blooded Japanese child will be more rare than a panda born in the wild.

Esiar said:
tiff3110 said:

How is discrimination a right of someone to be "free"?.

Homophobia actions should be penalised just like racist actions are, you can be free and believe whatever the eff you want but you can't insult, discriminate, fire people because of their sexuality....how is that freedom? Respect for one another is where freedom begins.

It only becomes a problem if you're using abusive language, or not accepting basic human rights (moreso than marriage) to someone because they are gay or something. Someone should be able to discriminate against homosexuality (definition of disciminate = differentiate, distinguish, draw a distinction, tell the difference, tell apart) without making it personal against the actual homosexual, same thing with racism. Someone should be able to say, "Blacks do not deserve to go to the same schools as whites", without being called a criminal.

you are right, they would be racist idiots who I hope never gain any kind of power.

About discrimination, you very well know I was talking about the negative connotation of the word. People should not discriminate others based on sex, religion, genre or race. It's actually part of the constitution of my country, idk how it works in the USA but I thought every decent human being agreed with that.

Retrogamer7 said:
Skullwaker said:

Yep, better prepare your ass for the rapture. Literally.

The rapture is not true. It's a false doctrine. 

The rapture is the first obvious sign of the end times if you're truly Christian. The great moment where millions of people randomly disappear out of thin air and leave the planet before the Anti-Christ takes over.

mornelithe said:
Lawlight said:
As someone who doesn't live in the US, I'm indifferent to the news.

Well, this actually matters internationally as well, because you're going to see more and more officially licensed LGBT couples, going overseas on business/vacation/etc... who will have to interact directly with laws/policies/etc... in other countries.  Or, rather, those countries will have to interact directly with something formally backed by the Supreme Court of the US and the Federal Government.

No it doesn't. If a country doesn't recognise same sex marriage they still won't recognise it now (in some countries homosexuality is still illegal) However much of the developed world already has it so it just brings the US a little more into the present ;)

Good call on the Supreme Court.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.