By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem Fates will introduce same-sex marriages

Babysteps. At this rate humanity will stop being a mostly homophobic piece of shit by 2200! C'mon guys! We can do it!

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Cloudman said:
A little disappointing that it is locked to one male and one female in the different games, but hey, it's a good start! : ) I wonder how the US will handle this. I feel they might cut this out, sigh.... u_u

The US would handle it just fine. NOA on the other hand......

Honestly, I hate that this is even news.

Yeah, I think that was what I was trying to say from the beginning.... u_u sorry I did it poorly.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

noname2200 said:
Faelco said:

Does Fates have a second gen? It was in Awakening because of time travel, but it's really not mandatory in FE... 

Yes, and I'm ambivalent about it. We'll see how they pull it off.

It does?

Then I'm interested to how they'll handle the gay couples having children. Likely scenario that it's limited to a very small number and that they would be child-less anyway. At least that's how I read the article.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

S.Peelman said:

Having this restricted to certain characters in a story-driven game like this isn't disappointing, it's realistic. I applaud this design choice, it shows that some thought went into it. It would be strange if every character, even the most butch womanizer, would be 'vulnerable' to getting talked into marrying someone of the same sex. Characters (other than the player character of course) are supposed to be persons with their own likes and preferences. In real life, regardless of how high his persuasion powers are, no way a guy could get me into marrying him .

Well I suppose they could make every FE character bi-sexual.

I agree with you though, I personally prefer a more realistic approach. At the same time it would be kinda fun if the womaniser turned out to be gay.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

Yes, and I'm ambivalent about it. We'll see how they pull it off.

There was mention about a DLC that represents kind of a third version of the game. It would make sense if that was a second gen that uses your completed save file from either White or Dark and determines second gen characters that way. Pretty much an additional (probably smaller) campaign which would be a huge step up from Awakening DLC.

But maybe I just imagined things.

From what I've heard the third DLC has already been revealed: instead of choosing one kingdom or the other, you choose neither. It's probably going to be the "true" ending.

Not 100% sure the above is true, but I'm fairly confident it is.

outlawauron said:

It does?

Then I'm interested to how they'll handle the gay couples having children. Likely scenario that it's limited to a very small number and that they would be child-less anyway. At least that's how I read the article.

That's a good possibility. The interesting part is that the father will determine the child in this game, so presumably the lesbian couple(s) wouldn't have a kid anyways, unless your avatar has a default. And this would leave the gay couple(s) with twins, or something?

forest-spirit said:

I think Bioware has that trademarked.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
forest-spirit said:

Make them genderless then. That would be quite original I'm sure.

noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
forest-spirit said:

U wot m8

So, Nintendo just recently announced they will keep the same-sex marriage in the game. Good job Ninten for keeping that in... : )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

forest-spirit said:
S.Peelman said:

Having this restricted to certain characters in a story-driven game like this isn't disappointing, it's realistic. I applaud this design choice, it shows that some thought went into it. It would be strange if every character, even the most butch womanizer, would be 'vulnerable' to getting talked into marrying someone of the same sex. Characters (other than the player character of course) are supposed to be persons with their own likes and preferences. In real life, regardless of how high his persuasion powers are, no way a guy could get me into marrying him .

I agree with you though, I personally prefer a more realistic approach. At the same time it would be kinda fun if the womaniser turned out to be gay.

Lol that would be great writing indeed .

Cloudman said:
So, Nintendo just recently announced they will keep the same-sex marriage in the game. Good job Ninten for keeping that in... : )

I figured as much. I'm more curious about what they'll do with, y'know, all the incest. There's kind of a lot of that.