By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hypothetical: What if Super Mario Maker is more of a success than we can predict?

What will be the biggest impact of Super Mario Maker?

The biggest hardware bump... 18 19.57%

It will delay the NX another year or two. 5 5.43%

It fill flop. 3 3.26%

It will be a decent bump ... 63 68.48%

3rd parties will return for Wii U! 3 3.26%

Total:92

I played Minecraft when it was in alpha/beta stage. I copied and pasted it from my friends flashdrive off my laptop and we downloaded some weird named online connecting software in order to play with one another. The game had nothing in it in terms of goals (this was WAY before the quests/towns/npc characters were put in the game). Even then, I thought that stupid game was wonderful and on to something insane.

I know Super Mario Maker is essentially Nintendo's response to Minecraft. Something where players can create. And it even has the charm of having 4 different graphic/art style modes for people depending on what their fondest memory of Mario is. Here is the thing though, Mario has been around a lot longer than Minecraft and there is no video game figure that is more recognizible than Mario.

If Minecraft can sell 14-40 million copies with no one ever hearing of it before the first game, I think we are greatly underestimating how much Mario Maker can sell and that brings me to my one point of this whole thing; something no one, as far as I have read, has considered yet. We all seem so certain (for the most part) that NX is a physical device and, more importantly, that it will launch in 2016 or 2017 (including myself). But what if Mario maker is a gigaton game? What if it pushes  hardware to be double or triple what it currently is? Then, all of a sudden, millions of people are buying Wii U's. Do you think Nintendo would still rush out the NX or delay it and commit to making MORE games for the Wii U? What if 3rd party companies see how popular it is and how many Wii U's are being sold because of it and start to make more ports or exclusives for Nintendo? What if Mario Maker makes the Wii U last the proper 5-6 years?

I'm not just asking this for the lulz. I seriously think this is a legitimate possibility because no one predicted how big Minecraft would become. Everyone saw Maker at the E3 tournament. The crowd was delighted by it and I myself was sold on that game after seeing it. What if it is a WHOLE lot bigger than anyone could predict and pushes hardware like no game before it? Could this be to Wii U what Ocarina of time 3d, Mario kart 7, and Animal Crossing New Leaf were to 3ds?

Around the Network

Depends on word of mouth or if someone makes a stage/video that goes viral

Then Nintendo will make a Super Mario Maker 2 for the NX as soon as possible, or make the first one avalible for the NX too. Maybe using the handheld NX as the gamepad?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think Nintendo's push for the game will be huge.

Wii U is still dead no matter what happens. Just let it go slowly :(.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I think the Wii U is still on its way out, but if the hardware took off this holiday Nintendo might be more reluctant to pull it off of the market quickly. They have spent a lot of time and money on the Wii U, and if they can capitalize further on it while building the NXs first year line-up, they should.

Admittedly, this is Nintendo we're talking about here. There's no reason to assume that they're going to make the logical move.

If I were them, the recent success of Splatoon in Japan and Europe might have me questioning any NX release before 2017. Reggie himself admitted that the Wii U is finally getting her legs - not the best time for them to yank the carpet out.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Giving the WII U a decent boost in hardware, yeah I can see that happening.Tripling WII U hardware though seems like a stretch.

We still have to see how to actually build a level though and see whether or not Mario Maker fits all of the criteria that made Mincraft popular, like being fun and easy to use just to name a few.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

I rather have a real mario game, made by developers, than some quick levels designed by fans.
I dont get all the hype for this title at all.

If it is indeed a huge success, the Wii U's life wll most surely be expanded, and it will be a turnabout that Nintendo has been looking for the console. If Nintendo can market this correctly and at bigger levels than Splatoon and MK8, and then mixed with a 3 set ad campaign for the holidays, a kids-oriented campaign, a teens-oriented campaign, and a adult-oriented campaign, plus a price cut, then the game will be a huge success, and the Wii U's fortunes should turn around, and the console may give some fierce competition. Afterall, if kids go make their parents buy them a tablet just for Minecraft, then they will probably do the same for Super Mario Maker + more.

BTW, the Wii U IS going to live the proper 5 year cycle :v that is more than assured.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Neither of those options are reasonable.

It will sell well, but not beyond the 5-million range, and will have absolutely no effect on Nintendo's hardware plans, or third parties' enthusiasm for Nintendo development.

Minecraft sold so well because it was so accessible. You can play it on an average laptop from five years ago. What Minecraft is not, is a massive system seller. Super Mario Maker may have a good attach rate on Wii U, but I don't see it shifting systems.