By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: We're Not Interested In High End Specs (Hardware)

Bye Nintendo, without half decent spec there is no third party support. So if you're happy with measly sales losing money, go for it.

Around the Network

Nintendo is really digging their own grave right now. Cant they see the success of PS4 and XONE!!!! They need to CHANGE!!!!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Needs to be 25% or more powerful than the PS4 if it launches in 2016. That will give them something to sell for at least 2-4 years when Gen 9 begins. It would make sense for Nintendo to launch mid cycle from now on so they have an edge at some point and have a solid library to compete against PS4 launch lineup.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

RolStoppable said:
Vena said:

The one where the DS was launched to counter the PSP, and the GBA forgotten in the wind?

Well, obviously.

But in the real world the GBA was supported with first party software alongside the DS through 2005. The GBA lineup was actually of comparable or even higher quality at that time. The GBA also didn't fail to catch on as it was one of the fastest selling systems of all time. Plus the GBA outsold both the DS and PSP in 2005 and Reggie even took a dig at Sony in 2006 when he bragged about the rising DS sales. He pointed out that the majority of the part of the sales bar that did not represent DS sales was the GBA.

This is true. However the GBA was effectively off market the following year, leaving it at a four year cycle. There's also one other thing to consider, the GBA/DS could share a library. So any development into the GBA was still software for the DS, one fed the other even as the DS was growing into an enormous success.

In this regard there was no budget loss, basically. And subsequently, the GBA died off.

On dear!

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
Makes sense.

Underpowered console, reducing costs and price and therefore risks, then add whatever new input device they come up with to try and seduce casuals until luck strikes again like with the Wii.

Low costs will see them through those attempts that end up in failure.

This is the smartest strategy for Nintendo.

I don't think it's really that smart. Not if they are targeting casuals..  Casuals will not purchase dedicated gaming machines. They need to target casuals where they are and that's on smartphones and tables. With a dedicated gaming machine you inherently aren't targeting casuals because they have to be devoted enough to gaming to buy a gaming specific device.

If it ends up having PS4 level specs then it'll likely need to cost 400$ for it to turn a decent profit. Nintendo won't and shouldn't do that. I know that a lot of "hardcore" Nintendo fans want a powerful system, but let's face it, you only account for 5 million sales or so. A cheap system with a steady stream of games is what they need.

Vena said:
curl-6 said:

I'm pessimistic because whenever I have a shred of optimism regarding Nintendo these days, they dash it with yet another terrible decision or display of contempt for their fans. I didn't drop hundreds of dollars on a new console to play Wii/3DS games in HD and budget spinoffs, yet aside from a few exceptions, that seems to be all Nintendo wants to make any more.

This is the fate of a company trying to juggle two consoles at once. If anything you should be happy that they are effectively axing this paradigm and moving towards unification because it means we won't have this nonsense cycle of 3DS -> WiiU -> 3DS -> WiiU. They're incapable of supporting both with non-stop software all on their own of the bigbudget variety while also producing high-quality (big budget) 3DS games.

They kick off this stupid charade.

But, that said, yes, the fate of the WiiU is unfortunate but all the same its given me a good enough ride for me not to be all that torn up about it.

Unifying their platforms makes sense, but it's not just the game droughts, it's their stubborn insistence on aggressively ignoring everything gamers want, whether it be voice chat in Splatoon, a HD Metroid, or online play in the likes of Starfox or Mario Party.

I don't really care about any of the above personally, but clearly a big slice of the audience does, yet they arrogantly continue to do what they want rather than what consumers demand. But there's plenty that pisses me off too; making Mario Sports game #42,176 and Amiibo Crossing instead something actually worth buying, for instance.

I refuse to be that person who keeps going back to an abusive relationship any longer. Nintendo have shown time and again that they cannot be bothered satisfying my needs as a consumer, so I'm gone.

See a lot or people say Iwata needs to go, but I think the more important is that SOMEONE - Iwata or whoever - needs to stand up to the old guard and issue orders. Tell them "no, you're wrong, we are not going in that direction." Because it feels like the old guard is always the one too cowardly to go all in, always playing the "we don't directly compete" card. Even as their non-competitors rip them apart this gen.

Nuvendil said:
See a lot or people say Iwata needs to go, but I think the more important is that SOMEONE - Iwata or whoever - needs to stand up to the old guard and issue orders. Tell them "no, you're wrong, we are not going in that direction." Because it feels like the old guard is always the one too cowardly to go all in, always playing the "we don't directly compete" card. Even as their non-competitors rip them apart this gen.

Iwata is an easy target as he's a figurehead, but honestly, the whole upper management needs to be jettisoned, they're stuck in 2008.