By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which 3rd party franchises should Nintendo try to get for the NX?

RolStoppable said:
IamAwsome said:

They need to get as many developers as they can on board. They were doing this with the Wii U with EA, Ubisoft, Activision, WB, Capcom, etc., and they shouldn't stop there. They should go after developers that they historically haven't had a big relationship with like Bethesda, Epic Games, Blizzard, etc. 

Nintendo also needs to, as much as I don't want to say this, compete. They need to secure timed exclusive DLC, marketing, and all that jazz. The problem is they don't have as much money as the others to do these things as we saw in the Gamecube era. If they try to wage a content war with Sony/MS they will get their butts kicked, but it's something they need to do to be successful.  

Someone quote me and answer this: What should NIntendo do at this point? They don't really have the money to "compete", they're betting the farm if they try to catch lightning in a bottle again, and if they screw up then it could spell doom. 

Nintendo doesn't need to compete because it's a dead end. Despite Nintendo sales being pretty much at an all time low right now, Sony and Microsoft aren't doing hot either. Their consoles regularly fail to overcome the 200k units hurdle for monthly sales in the USA (by far the biggest software market too, tie ratios are notably higher than anywhere else), so if there were a third console to split those sales, we would be looking at around 100k for each of the three companies. What's more, Sony projected only a profit of $400m for the current fiscal year despite continued dominance in the home console business. There really isn't much money to be made, even if a company seems to be hugely successful. And remember, this is after Sony has introduced a paywall for online multiplayer to increase their yearly revenue by hundreds of millions. Therefore the premise that Nintendo has to compete is fundamentally flawed. It's not even that they don't have the money to compete (they do have it), it's just that even if they succeeded, the profits would be so slim that it isn't worth it.

The way Nintendo can be successful is by making devices that sell, and they can achieve this on the basis of first party software. We are on a sales website, so it isn't hard to look up that Nintendo success was always driven by Nintendo games, with third parties being nothing more than the cherry on top. If NX sells, then third parties will either come to Nintendo or choose to miss out on the installed base; that's really up to them and shouldn't be anything that Nintendo forces, because if Nintendo starts to hand out money, then everyone will expect to get money.

There's also the premise that a video game system needs third parties to have continued success, but that's a misguided belief. Ultimately, a system needs a consistent flow of quality software to stay relevant, but that doesn't mean that third party support is required. It merely is believed to be this way, because no console manufacturer has ever managed to provide enough software on its own. So in theory, if Nintendo were able to put out 24 retail games every year (so two games per month on average), then that wouldn't be too bad. If this number were to raise to 36, all the better. The idea behind NX is to have a common operating system and development environment for all devices, so this means if Nintendo's current home console and handheld software output ceases to be separate and ends up being combined, then that's already a solid basis for a steady flow of quality software, and one that should make it possible to avoid most of the droughts that the 3DS and Wii U have seen over the years.

Since the software output will be available on all NX devices, a low selling home console won't restrict games to sales of only 5m; so even in a case where all NX devices combined sell only 50m (that's less than Wii U and 3DS combined), there is still a good chance to have several games that sell more than 10m copies. And that's a good thing, because first party software is the biggest source of profit in the video game business. So Nintendo doesn't even need to catch lightning in a bottle, because even a failure will give them another chance to forge new strategies. But since they won't compete with Sony and Microsoft for the big third party games, there is obviously nothing stopping them from making an unconventional controller. If it helps to make the system more appealing to consumers, then they should absolutely go for it.

Pretty much what Zorg and I have been saying for a while. 

However if kids continue to be enraptured by $1 smartphone games instead of Nintendo handhelds, then it become an increasingly tougher proposition. They need to hold the portable front even though they are suffering heavy losses on that front. They have to hold that side, the console side is kind of a lost cause in some ways. 

If they didn't have iOS/Android to deal with it would be fairly easy and straight forward. 

Around the Network

We'd be naive to assume that Nintendo is going to kickstart their next console successfully appealing to the masses who buy Fifa and Cod annually. I really think the key to them having a successful year 1 is having titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Elderscrolls 6, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, GTA6 etc... All big sellers but also games that I think matter to a large portion of core gamers who could quite happily live without Fifa /COD (at least for a yera or 2) and can live without constantly being stuck to the platform which their friends have.

Its all about making year 1 a success, from there things will snowball. If EA and Ubi weren't already supportive, they soon will be. If the masses didn't take the NX brand seriously, word of mouth would soon fix that. This is also why its essential that they launch before PS5, they need to space to build their brand just like the original playstation and XBox 360 did by arriving ahead of the previous market leader (Nintendo and sony respectively). If the system is also powerful enough for Nintendo to bring on stage any dev their choosing and say "See this game that runs 30fps-low settings on PS4, well it can run 60fps, Ultra on NX", I think a lot of core gamers would seriously consider the system as an upgrade late in the PS4/XB1 life.

Of course alongside this Nintendo need to launch on their strongest foot first party wise.

With regards to third parties as well, rather than trying to negotiate a bunch of contracts with like 100 different publishers/companies, I'd say go for the head of the snake rather than trying to catch the whole damn snake.

I'd sign a deal with Square-Enix and EA primarily. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest gaurunteed multiplats. Madden, FIFA, Star Wars Battlefront, too.

Agree to pay for half the cost of ports if need be for the first two years.

Allow Square-Enix to make Amiibo characters and put them in the next Smash Bros. Let them do a collaborative game with Nintendo characters so they can get a taste some extra money. Allow them to make a Mario RPG series and/or a Pokemon spin-off. EA gets to make Mario Sports titles. 

Once you have strong commitments from these two, I think other third parties will hop on board, but even if they don't, honestly you could build a pretty strong library with nothing but these two companies, plus Monster Hunter, plus all Nintendo IP being on one unified platform.

Grovelling for every company and getting into pissing matches for exclusive DLC and all that nonsense is just something Nintendo doesn't need to be involved with. Get Square-Enix and EA (with a real contractual commitment). 

time exclusives would help. we knew all 3rd party is needed. In the West, Nintendo NX needs Fifa, COD, BF, AC, etc..
better to set the tone early and make sure the hardware is capable of gaming on 1080p @ 60fps compared to PS and X1 versions.

ednice said:
Darwinianevolution said:
ednice said:
Not SMT please.

Why not Shin Megami Tensei? They sell well on Nintendo systems, at least on their small fanbases.

Because I feel that it would get reduced to a handheld franchise(it kind of already is)

I still don't get it. How would making a Shin Megami Tensei NX make that franchise limited to handhelds? This thread is working under the basis that the NX is supposed to be the next Nintendo's home console/fusion.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Nintendo should try and produce a platform that is easy to port to from other platforms and drives 3rd parties to see a very low risk in porting the game.

Agreed. Similar architecture to the competition would make ports a no-brainer for 3rd parties. If it's cheap and easy to port, there's less risk on their end. 

Soundwave said:

With regards to third parties as well, rather than trying to negotiate a bunch of contracts with like 100 different publishers/companies, I'd say go for the head of the snake rather than trying to catch the whole damn snake. 

I'd sign a deal with Square-Enix and EA primarily. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest gaurunteed multiplats. Madden, FIFA, Star Wars Battlefront, too. 

Agree to pay for half the cost of ports if need be for the first two years. 

Allow Square-Enix to make Amiibo characters and put them in the next Smash Bros. Let them do a collaborative game with Nintendo characters so they can get a taste some extra money. Allow them to make a Mario RPG series and/or a Pokemon spin-off. EA gets to make Mario Sports titles. 

Once you have strong commitments from these two, I think other third parties will hop on board, but even if they don't, honestly you could build a pretty strong library with nothing but these two companies, plus Monster Hunter, plus all Nintendo IP being on one unified platform.

Grovelling for every company and getting into pissing matches for exclusive DLC and all that nonsense is just something Nintendo doesn't need to be involved with. Get Square-Enix and EA (with a real contractual commitment). 

Good point.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Darwinianevolution said:
ednice said:
Darwinianevolution said:
ednice said:
Not SMT please.

Why not Shin Megami Tensei? They sell well on Nintendo systems, at least on their small fanbases.

Because I feel that it would get reduced to a handheld franchise(it kind of already is)

I still don't get it. How would making a Shin Megami Tensei NX make that franchise limited to handhelds? This thread is working under the basis that the NX is supposed to be the next Nintendo's home console/fusion.

SMT wouldn't stay on NX dude, Atlus goes for install base they were still releasing PS2 games in 2008.

But you know what you're right I'm twisting this thread, if NX is home console and Atlus can profit off SMT spin offs on it, that'd be fine.

ednice said:
Darwinianevolution said:
ednice said:
Darwinianevolution said:
ednice said:
Not SMT please.

SMT wouldn't stay on NX dude, Atlus goes for install base they were still releasing PS2 games in 2008.

But you know what you're right I'm twisting this thread, if NX is home console and Atlus can profit off SMT spin offs on it, that'd be fine.

Well, you have a point. Atlus always tries to aim to bigger userbases to compensate for their niche titles. I think Atlus wanted to make Persona 5 as a PS3 only and Sony pressured them to make a PS4 version to sell the console in Japan.

However, if the NX is the Fusion idea, it will also include the handheld version. And considering Sony probably won't be interested on a Vita 2, Nintendo will only have to compete against mobile on the handheld space. That userbase could grow very quickly, specially in Japan.  And if the machine is easy to program for, they could start by making a lot of ports from PS2-PS3 era, make a decent profit and gain the trust of the userbase.

sonic! if he has time for a game, atm he is winning twitter...

he is sexy, funny and fast, what else do you need?

generic-user-1 said:
sonic! if he has time for a game, atm he is winning twitter...

he is sexy, funny and fast, what else do you need?

Functional gameplay from day one? XD