By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega licences the Unreal Engine 3

Today, in a move that might come as a surprise to Sonic fans, SEGA announced that it has signed a licensing agreement with Epic Games to incorporate the Unreal Engine 3 into several of its upcoming, unannounced games currently in development in North America.

"SEGA is pleased to arm our developers with the sophisticated tools contained in Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3," said Simon Jeffery from SEGA of America. "Its versatility and power will help SEGA create incredible gaming experiences."

"Epic is extremely excited to be working with SEGA," said Mark Rein, Vice President of Epic Games. "SEGA has a long history of innovation and leadership in our industry and we're honored that they've chosen to use Unreal Engine 3."

No details of any of the under development projects were released. More information is expected to be unveiled later this year.

Around the Network

I find it depressing that Sega have now stooped so low that they are not even making bespoke engines for their games. Bring back the old Sega, post DC Sega is just a mediocre 3rd party.

SpaceJase said:
I find it depressing that Sega have now stooped so low that they are not even making bespoke engines for their games. Bring back the old Sega, post DC Sega is just a mediocre 3rd party.

SE is using the U3 engine for their new RPG... As are many other large companies. It's obviously a good (and versatile) engine. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Yes, but this is Sega... SEGA!! It's a bit like Nintendo using someone else's engine for one of their games - just not right somehow.

yeah but it all goes back to one thing, if they build a great game.....we all will buy it!!

Around the Network

@SpaceJase Does companies today have a choice? Will they make any money? Nintendo can survive making their own engine because almost every game the release is a 1 million+ seller. Sega isn't in the same shape.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

That's kind of my point robjoh, it's a huge fall from being a console manufaturer and industry leader to where Sega are now, i.e. can't even afford to make their own engines and haven't had a decent seller in years. Makes me a bit sad that Sega seem to contribute very little to the VG world these days. I wouldn't hold out much hope for any of their upcoming U3 engine games. Let's hope they don't screw up Nights like they did Sonic. *sigh*

I'm pretty sure we all realized Sega was already in that position...using the Unreal 3 engine will probably be a good thing.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

The Unreal 3 Engine is a great engine. This was made evident when SquareEnix decided to use it. Square makes their own engines, and I can imagine it costs more to make an engine than it does to license one. Regardless, Epic is rolling in dough. DS = It Prints Money! U3 Engine = It Prints Money!

i own a wii and im sure that the wii cant do the unreal engine 3...so is this mainly good news for PS3 and 360 games? or is it still being used for wii but scaled down quite a bit? either way id still like to see it used on the wii if it is possible

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary