By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 4 Is Nathan Drake's Final Chapter, Developer Says

kitler53 said:
LordLichtenstein said:

*Fixed

reboots, imo, require a period of time where no game in the franchise is made.  reboot uncharted on the ps6/7 if there is still fans clamoring for it.

I couldn't disagree more.

Uncharted is very much a character driven story, by introducing a whole new "cast", they would basically make a "new" game. The only thing that would be left, would be the brand, Uncharted.

Around the Network

Neil Druckmann - "We are bringing closure to Drake's Journey" (Creative Dicrector)

Kurt Margenau - "It's Nathan Drake's final chapter" (Lead Designer)

Jeremy Yates - "This is Nathan Drake's final story" (Lead Animator)

Their wording would suggest, that there indeed is life after Nathan Drake.

I hope they reboot the franchiese and introduces us to a whole new set of characters and a new time period.

foodfather said:
Straight up lie. It's Sony's best 1st party franchise.

Uncharted 5 will happen. Prequal or new protagonist maybe, but it will happen.

Tell that to Jak & Daxter or Crash

PwerlvlAmy said:
If more will be made,they'll go the prequel route

Maybe, but not by them. Remember Crash and Jak & Daxter.

And I think It's time anyway for them to do different projects with more interesting gameplay.

globalisateur said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
If more will be made,they'll go the prequel route

And I think It's time anyway for them to do different projects with more interesting gameplay.

Are you serious?

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
every franchise should be retired after 3-5 entries,.. and especially the story driven ones.

Rule of thumb, sure. But what I wojuld prefer is for writers of story driven franchchises to start at the very beginning with a vision for a complete and coherent story and break it down into game-sized chunks. If that takes 7 games to tell then so be it. But aside from some notable esxceptions, and not always in a good way, most complete stories can be told in a trilogy. Take Mass Effect. That's a complete story told in a trilogy which was pretty well planned out from the start, though obviously underwent major revision part way through. Now we have Mass Effect 4 which really is a whole new story with only the most tenuous of connections to the trilogy. Aside from wanting to cash in on title recognition and perhaps Liara being a matriarch by the time Andromeda happens, so being at least a peripheral part of the story, Mass Effect 4 could easily have been a whole new sci-fi RPG called "The Andromenda Files" or something more creative.

I don't know if ND writers have ever really planned ahead with their new IP. Uncharted:DF semed like a one off story which did not really beg a sequel aside from the fact it ended up selling well. TLOU similarly doesn't really say "Yes, there will be a sequel". But it does leave things a bit open with the fact that Ellie doesn't quite buy what Joel is saying and maybe Ellie will go searching for the truth one day. Jak and Daxter told a complete story and there was no pressing need for a sequel again aside from the sales success.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
kitler53 said:
every franchise should be retired after 3-5 entries,.. and especially the story driven ones.

Rule of thumb, sure. But what I wojuld prefer is for writers of story driven franchchises to start at the very beginning with a vision for a complete and coherent story and break it down into game-sized chunks. If that takes 7 games to tell then so be it. But aside from some notable esxceptions, and not always in a good way, most complete stories can be told in a trilogy. Take Mass Effect. That's a complete story told in a trilogy which was pretty well planned out from the start, though obviously underwent major revision part way through. Now we have Mass Effect 4 which really is a whole new story with only the most tenuous of connections to the trilogy. Aside from wanting to cash in on title recognition and perhaps Liara being a matriarch by the time Andromeda happens, so being at least a peripheral part of the story, Mass Effect 4 could easily have been a whole new sci-fi RPG called "The Andromenda Files" or something more creative.

I don't know if ND writers have ever really planned ahead with their new IP. Uncharted:DF semed like a one off story which did not really beg a sequel aside from the fact it ended up selling well. TLOU similarly doesn't really say "Yes, there will be a sequel". But it does leave things a bit open with the fact that Ellie doesn't quite buy what Joel is saying and maybe Ellie will go searching for the truth one day. Jak and Daxter told a complete story and there was no pressing need for a sequel again aside from the sales success.

I 100 % agree, but each game -and its story, must be able to stand on its own, sure they can have cliffhangers, but not the kind that ruins the experience. The player must finish each game and feel some form of completion.

What I want is a red thread throughout the whole story.

LordLichtenstein said:
globalisateur said:

Are you serious?

Yes. Uncharted is great, but its gameplay is barely good. They can do much better, they already done better with TLOU for instance.

globalisateur said:
LordLichtenstein said:

Are you serious?

Yes. Uncharted is great, but its gameplay is barely good. They can do much better, they already done better with TLOU for instance.

Opinions. :D

LordLichtenstein said:
binary solo said:
kitler53 said:

I don't know if ND writers have ever really planned ahead with their new IP. Uncharted:DF semed like a one off story which did not really beg a sequel aside fro the fact it ended up selling well. TLOU similarly doesn't really say "Yes, there will be a sequel". But it does leave things a bit open with the fact that Ellie doesn't quite buy what Joel is saying and maybe Ellie will go searching for the truth one day. Jak and Daxter told a complete story and there was no pressing need for a sequel again aside from the sales success.

I 100 % agree, but each game -and its story, must be able to stand on its own, sure they can have cliffhangers, but not the kind that ruins the experience. The player must finish each game and feel some form of completion.

What I want is a red thread throughout the whole story.

i agree with both above and will follow up with an example.  

god of war i thought did a wonderful job telling ang breaking up its story over its three entries.  the prequel, while fun gameplay, was bad story.  the rumored sequel with the rumored new mythology, while probably purchased by me, also kind of pisses me off.  the story is complete and SM should move on.  make another game in the genre but start a new ip.