By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime Federation Force gameplay live now!

Anybody else has seen that? Apparently Next level Game has also a WiiU game in development as well.

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/236177-rumor-next-level-games-has-a-wii-u-project-in-the-works

I feel kinda bad for the guys. The game looks like it could be fun. Unlike Animal crossing amiibo festival that simply looks absolutely terrible with no minigames or whatsoever that could make the gameplay fun, there seems to have a bit of overreaction with this one. I think the whole artstyle and graphics would need to be improved to feel more metroid like and less nintendoland's attraction like. But if you consider that this game might be a side project, then the blame go even more on Nintendo for how they handle metroid as a franchise and not on the team developing it or the director. It is just an action game set in the metroid universe after all...

I'm much more worried by not having heard anything from retro Studio in more than 2 years and Nintendo's overall lack of efficiency than by the existence of this game actually.

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
sc94597 said:

Metroid is my favorite gaming franchise. Super Metroid is the only video game I would give a 10/10. I knew after Other M's backlash that Nintendo would put the series on the backburner while they brainstorm about how they can refresh it. In my opinion that is alright. Having a spinoff doesn't change anything. Whether or not the spinoff exists a mainline Metroid or Prime series Metroid would likely not. I'm glad though that they are considering to revisit the franchise on the NX, and just like they revolutionized Metroid with the Prime game after having a hiatus during the N64, I have high hopes that they will revolutionize it again when the NX comes out. Who knows, maybe Nintendo will release  Metroid Prime HD before Wii U is done for, and that would suit the Metroid need until the new game releases. If they correlated scans to the gamepad, upgraded the graphics, and allowed for Wiimote controls, I'd buy these games for the third time. 

The producer for the Prime series said it best-  basically he said they had ideas, would like to do another Prime game BUT a 3D Metroid would cost alot to produce and take a long time to develop- also the resources were not available to hi to procede-   Nintendo did little to give the Wii U a reasonable chance to succeed-  they rcvd the reults they put in-  so the Wii U and all of us who own a Wii U will be shorted a great deal of content that precedent says one can expect to become available on a Nintendo console-   but not this generation-  Other than Smash and MK8  they really did not spend the resources to bring the games that would have given the Wii u a chance and tht would have made most Wii U owners feel like the were not being played -  

Bayonetta 2? Pikmin 3? Super Mario 3D World? Splatoon? Xenoblade Chronicles X? Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze? Fatal Frame? All of these seem in line with the typical Nintendo budget, regardless of whether or not they'd help the Wii U's situation. Metroid was a declining series that needed a break after the last game was pretty average. It makes sense that Nintendo took that break to allow other skipped series during the Wii era, like Starfox and Pikmin to have a place in this generation. Don't get me wrong, I wanted a Metroid game, but if the game turned out like Other M then fans wouldn't be happy. Sometimes a series needs to take a break. I'm confident that Metroid will return eventually. The only surprising thing about the Wii U was how long it has taken for an LoZ game to release. 

The N64 didn't have a Metroid game. What does that say of precedent? 

sc94597 said:
I don't think the game looks that bad in motion. It obviously takes a more cel-shaded style than Hunters though. Plus it is much clearer at the 240p resolution than hunters is at the 160p.

No offense, but most people who use cel-shading in a sentence like you did just now have no idea what the term means. The game isn't cel-chaded at all. Wind Waker used cel-shading. The Naruto fighting games use cel-shading. Jet Set Radio used cel-shading.

Nothing in MP:FF is cel-shaded. Not even a little. Cel-shading is a lighting technique use to created flat colored textures. As in, little to no gradient. Textures are solid blocks of color in cel shading, and the shade of those blocks are determined by the lighting value given by the light source.

None of that is in this game. Cel-shading doesn't mean "cute" or "chibi" or "simple." It's a coloring technique.

That is cel-shading.

That is not.

It really annoys me how this game is getting so much flak, people have been asking for a game that let's u play as the Galactic Federation for years now and we finally get one and its the end of the world.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Metallox said:

spemanig said:

The galactic federation aren't supposed to have ambience. They are military soldiers. There's no ambience in that. 

Well, there's actually a social ambience in that aspect alone, but it's not worth it to discuss it. 

He should watch a documentary about soldiers in the Roman Empire/Republic or even American soldiers is Vietnam/Iraq. There's so much wrong with that statement that it's not even funny. I liked how Metroid Prime 2 told the story of the GF soldiers through their diary logs, that's what I call ambience. The problem isn't even that this is a spin-off, the problem is that it's a bad spin-off.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
sc94597 said:
I don't think the game looks that bad in motion. It obviously takes a more cel-shaded style than Hunters though. Plus it is much clearer at the 240p resolution than hunters is at the 160p.

No offense, but most people who use cel-shading in a sentence like you did just now have no idea what the term means. The game isn't cel-chaded at all. Wind Waker used cel-shading. The Naruto fighting games use cel-shading. Jet Set Radio used cel-shading.

Nothing in MP:FF is cel-shaded. Not even a little. Cel-shading is a lighting technique use to created flat colored textures. As in, little to no gradient. Textures are solid blocks of color in cel shading, and the shade of those blocks are determined by the lighting value given by the light source.

None of that is in this game. Cel-shading doesn't mean "cute" or "chibi" or "simple." It's a coloring technique.

That is cel-shading.

That is not.

What lighting gradient do you see in this game? It is by default cel-shading because of the low-quality of the shading itself. Look at the "fur?" on the enemies leg in the picture you posted. It is flat, no gradient at all. Now compare that with a Hunters picture. 

^ Noice the ends of his "spikes" are lighted continously more than the portion closer to his body. 

Now let's compare character models and environment. 

The snow has a uniform lighting value, no variation at all. The characters have uniform lighting as well (the dark and light patterns are the color of the textures, not from some light source.) 

Looking at hunters look at the green beam of the character it has a gradient shade. Look at samus' it also has a gradient shade. 

^ This is obviously not a single gradient, it has three different very limited gradients. The yellow, the medium orange, and the dark orange. All of which are so distinct from eachother that you can almost draw shapes. 

zorg1000 said:

It really annoys me how this game is getting so much flak, people have been asking for a game that let's u play as the Galactic Federation for years now and we finally get one and its the end of the world.

I agree, people wanted more from the setting, complaining that Nintendo does try to get more of the traditional shooter crowd and now that they are getting it, they are crying because of the graphics and it not playing like the main games. Can we give the game a shot before blasting it as not a true Metriod game?

If the internet was around and populated when Metriod 2 came out, I wonder if we would have even gotten Super Metriod.

sc94597 said:

^ Looks decent aesthetically, but the 3DS is capable of much, much better textures and shading. 

I agree, hopefully this is a rough early build, because we have seen better models in games like Kid Icarus: Uprising and even certain eShop games.

sc94597 said:
Dunban67 said:

The producer for the Prime series said it best-  basically he said they had ideas, would like to do another Prime game BUT a 3D Metroid would cost alot to produce and take a long time to develop- also the resources were not available to hi to procede-   Nintendo did little to give the Wii U a reasonable chance to succeed-  they rcvd the reults they put in-  so the Wii U and all of us who own a Wii U will be shorted a great deal of content that precedent says one can expect to become available on a Nintendo console-   but not this generation-  Other than Smash and MK8  they really did not spend the resources to bring the games that would have given the Wii u a chance and tht would have made most Wii U owners feel like the were not being played -  

Bayonetta 2? Pikmin 3? Super Mario 3D World? Splatoon? Xenoblade Chronicles X? Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze? Fatal Frame? All of these seem in line with the typical Nintendo budget, regardless of whether or not they'd help the Wii U's situation. Metroid was a declining series that needed a break after the last game was pretty average. It makes sense that Nintendo took that break to allow other skipped series during the Wii era, like Starfox and Pikmin to have a place in this generation. Don't get me wrong, I wanted a Metroid game, but if the game turned out like Other M then fans wouldn't be happy. Sometimes a series needs to take a break. I'm confident that Metroid will return eventually. The only surprising thing about the Wii U was how long it has taken for an LoZ game to release. 

The N64 didn't have a Metroid game. What does that say of precedent? 

The wii U does not have alot of games that the N64 had-  Giving the series a break had zero to do w it-  it was about money and not believing in thier own cosnole-  Why would the next Metrod game be like Other M?  Are you saying if they had developed a Metroid game for the Wii U it wold have been like Other M but if they do so on the NX it will be a great Metroid game?  

There have been so many droughts on the Wii u,  there have been some good games but few and FAR between-  If you don t love platformers tehn the Wi u did not come close to offering a deep or diverse library- some of the game you  mentioned STILL have not released in NA  and when it coomes to Nintendo, if the game is not released yet then there is no guarantee when or if it will ever show up

sc94597 said:
spemanig said:

That is cel-shading.

That is not.

What lighting gradient do you see in this game? It is by default cel-shading because of the low-quality of the shading itself. Look at the "fur?" on the enemies leg in the picture you posted. It is flat, no gradient at all. Now compare that with a Hunters picture. 

^ Noice the ends of his "spikes" are lighted continously more than the portion closer to his body. 

Now let's compare character models and environment. 

The snow has a uniform lighting value, no variation at all. The characters have uniform lighting as well (the dark and light patterns are the color of the textures, not from some light source.) 

Looking at hunters look at the green beam of the character it has a gradient shade. Look at samus' it also has a gradient shade. 

^ This is obviously not a single gradient, it has three different very limited gradients. The yellow, the medium orange, and the dark orange. All of which are so distinct from eachother that you can almost draw shapes. 

Low quality textures isn't cel-shading. The fact that you used the fur texture on the picture I posted as an example of cel-shading proves you don't understand what it is at all. That isn't cel shading. If it was cel-shading, it wouldn't look like fur, it would look like a flat gray-white color. What you're talking about are bad textures.

The snow does have gradience. It's not cel-shaded at all. None of what you bring up in that post is an example of cel-shading. I don't get how you still don't understand when I literally posted three pictures with clear examples of cel-shading. You say that the light and dark patterns are the textures. That doesn't happen in cel-shading because textures in cel-shading are single, flat colors. That's the whole point of cel-shading. If this game was cel-shaded, it would look nothing like that.