By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime Federation Force gameplay live now!

spemanig said:
sc94597 said:

In that case I misunderstood your post. I read that post before I read your preceding post, and it came off as if people were wrong to call it an FPS. Personally, I consider it to be an MPH sequel and would classify it as an Action FPS rather than a first person Action-Adventure like the main Prime series. As for Portal, I wouldn't classify it as Action game nor the Action subgenre of shooter. It is a first person puzzle game, with the focus being puzzles and not shooting enemies. All of these games have the first person perspective but try to do something different either it be shooting enemies, solving puzzles, or exploration.

I mean, yeah. Portal is a Puzzle FPS. Definitely not an action shooter. But definitely a shooter. First person puzzle shooter. It's not simply a puzzle game in the first person. It is very obviously, and very specifically, a shooter.

But my point was that I wasn't talking about genres or subgenres at all. A better example is Goldeneye. Or Doom. Or Wolfenstein. Not the newer games; the classics. Anyone calling those "generic FPS games" or "just like Halo" is stupid, because they fundementally play nothing like those games. All Action FPS games. Nothing like Halo or COD. That's what I was saying. This game play nothing like the FPS games people are comparing it to.

I agree, I was watching the Nintendo stream of this game, and the co-op stuff definitely wan't what I'd call generic. It looked a lot of fun and unique. 

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Yooka said:

It has Prime in its name, so it's part of the Prime series. Yet it has nothing in common with it.

These all have "Mario" in them. They are all part of the same series now. Yet they have nothing in common.
Yooka said:

Yet it has nothing in common with it. So where is Metroid Prime, Dark Samus or phazon in this game? How else can it be called Metroid Prime?

All MIA here too. :-O

Yooka said:

Are there even metroids in this game?

Yes.

Yooka said:

I have watched the gameplay where they trapped those ice creatures, it was cringeworthy. No strafing to be found. 3DS doesn't have dual analogue sticks

New 3DS and Circle Pad Pro, yo, though I'll never understand folks who like dual analogue controls... *shudder*

Yooka said:

GC has, and yes I used them to look around.

Your example doesn't work.

Calling this a Metroid Prime game is like calling a 3D Mario platformer Mario Kart. Or calling Mario Tennis Paper Mario... Metroid Prime Hunters is one of those 3 games I mentioned who's existence I deny.

Most 3DS owners don't own a N3DS (and why would they buy one? It's not being supported).

Yooka said:

It has Prime in its name, so it's part of the Prime series. Yet it has nothing in common with it. So where is Metroid Prime, Dark Samus or phazon in this game? How else can it be called Metroid Prime? Are there even metroids in this game?

I have watched the gameplay where they trapped those ice creatures, it was cringeworthy. No strafing to be found. 3DS doesn't have dual analogue sticks, GC has, and yes I used them to look around.

Prime series, not Prime Trilogy. You know what else is part of the Prime series?

Doesn't need the Metroid Prime. Doesn't need Phazon. Doesn't need Dark Samus. You know what had none of that?

Point made.

You're either lying, or blind. There clearly was strafing being done.

Actually, you must be lying. The director clearly mentions that the only reason this game exists was because the N3DS has a second analog input. The players clearly refer to the fact that now they can aim with the second analog stick and fine tune their aim while locked on, something that was only present in Prime 3 when they added the Wiimote. The GCN Prime games weren't twin stick shooters. You didn't aim in real time with the c-stick. You used it to switch beams.

So you're lying.

spemanig said:
Yooka said:

It has Prime in its name, so it's part of the Prime series. Yet it has nothing in common with it. So where is Metroid Prime, Dark Samus or phazon in this game? How else can it be called Metroid Prime? Are there even metroids in this game?

I have watched the gameplay where they trapped those ice creatures, it was cringeworthy. No strafing to be found. 3DS doesn't have dual analogue sticks, GC has, and yes I used them to look around.

Prime series, not Prime Trilogy. You know what else is part of the Prime series?

Point made.

You're either lying, or blind. There clearly was strafing being done.

Actually, you must be lying. The director clearly mentions that the only reason this game exists was because the N3DS has a second analog input. The players clearly refer to the fact that now they can aim with the second analog stick and fine tune their aim while locked on, something that was only present in Prime 3 when they added the Wiimote. The GCN Prime games weren't twin stick shooters. You didn't aim in real time with the c-stick. You used it to switch beams.

So you're lying.

No point made at all. Metroid Prime Hunters was a disgrace as well and misused the Prime name to sell more units.

I never said they were twin stick shooters, I said you could look around while standing still. But yeah, I forgot you did that with pressing one of the shoulder buttons.

The director must not be very smart then if he made this game because of the N3DS. I doubt he'll keep his job much longer anyway.

noname2200 said:

Yooka said:

I have watched the gameplay where they trapped those ice creatures, it was cringeworthy. No strafing to be found. 3DS doesn't have dual analogue sticks

New 3DS and Circle Pad Pro, yo, though I'll never understand folks who like dual analogue controls... *shudder*

Yooka said:

GC has, and yes I used them to look around.

You... Like the way the first two Primes controlled? I mean, I feel like this way is much better, and when they do butcher the Trilogy with an unessecary 4th main installment, I seriously hope they add this objective improvement.

Definitely keep the lock on, as it's uniquely Prime, but dear God, give us a second analog stick. They should even remake the Trilogy again in HD, but with twin stick controls. There weren't enough buttons on the GCN, but now there are. Just have the player hold L (not ZL) to act as a toggle while clicking on the dpad to chose different beams. Problem solved. Controls vastly improved.

Also, that gif perfectly exemplifies my thoughts.

Around the Network
Yooka said:

No point made at all. Metroid Prime Hunters was a disgrace as well and misused the Prime name to sell more units.

I never said they were twin stick shooters, I said you could look around while standing still. But yeah, I forgot you did that with pressing one of the shoulder buttons.

The director must not be very smart then if he made this game because of the N3DS. I doubt he'll keep his job much longer anyway.

Yeah I did. Hunters wasn't a discrace. It was a Prime game. A fine one. Didn't misuse anything.

You never said you could look around while standing still. You said that the GCN had dual analog sticks, and you used them to look around. You didn't use them to look around because you couldn't use them to look around because the only games where you would use them to look around would be in a twin stick shooter.

Yooka said: 3DS doesn't have dual analogue sticks, GC has, and yes I used them to look around.

Another lie.

I'm sure his job is fine. If Sakamoto wasn't fired after M.o.M., this guy will get promoted after this. Because it's a good idea. Adding twin stick controls to an FPS series without twin stick controls is a good idea.

spemanig said:
Yooka said:

Yeah I did. Hunters wasn't a discrace. It was a Prime game. A fine one. Didn't misuse anything.

You never said you could look around while standing still. You said that the GCN had dual analog sticks, and you used them to look around. You didn't use them to look around because you couldn't use them to look around because the only games where you would use them to look around would be in a twin stick shooter.

Yooka said: 3DS doesn't have dual analogue sticks, GC has, and yes I used them to look around.

Another lie.

I'm sure his job is fine. If Sakamoto wasn't fired after M.o.M., this guy will get promoted after this. Because it's a good idea. Adding twin stick controls to an FPS series without twin stick controls is a good idea.

No bother argueing then, you don't know what the fundamental aspects are to a Metroid game. Don't try to ruin a franchise just because it isn't for you. Metroid fans want exploration in their games otherwise it's not a true Metroid game.

You also don't seem to know the difference between a mistake and a lie. It's been since 2007 since I last played a Prime game. Excuse me for not remembering everything perfectly.

Yooka said:

No bother argueing then, you don't know what the fundamental aspects are to a Metroid game. Don't try to ruin a franchise just because it isn't for you. Metroid fans want exploration in their games otherwise it's not a true Metroid game.

You also don't seem to know the difference between a mistake and a lie. It's been since 2007 since I last played a Prime game. Excuse me for not remembering everything perfectly.

Lol true Metroid game. Prime in of itself is a spinoff. There's arguments for Prime not being a true Metroid game because it is an FPS. What you are doing is the same. Can people please not limit series to their own limited view.

As if the kick to the balls of Wii U owners wasn't enough, this looks like a freaking DS game.

Yooka said:

If you are putting Prime's Trilogy on that high a pedistal, you're the one who doesn't know the fundemental aspects of a Metroid game. If Prime cared about the "fundemental aspects of a Metroid game," it wouldn't be in the first person, there'd be way more platforming, and the level design would be vertical, and not horisontal like it is. It would have stayed retro futuristic instead of going in the stereotypical generic "scifi" direction that it did. You clearly know nothing about what it means to be a Metroid game if you're holding a spin off trilogy to such influential regards.

You aren't "remembering" the core about how a series you supposedly know the "fundementals" of is played. No one forgets how Prime is played, because there is literally no other franchise that plays like those games. That isn't something people just "forget."