By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Report: Mexican games market to hit $1bn

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29906/Report-Mexican-games-market-to-hit-1bn

Video games industry in Central American territory ‘exploding’, according to Research and Markets

digg_url = 'http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29906/Report-Mexican-games-market-to-hit-1bn'; digg_title = 'Report%3A+Mexican+games+market+to+hit+%241bn'; digg_bodytext = 'Video+games+industry+in+Central+American+territory+%91exploding%92%2C+according+to+Research+and+Markets';

A new Research and Markets report has forecast that the Mexican video games market could be worth as much as $1 billion by 2010.

The review states that the Mexican video game industry is ‘exploding’ and ‘attracting major new marketing investment and luring global game publishers to establish local offices’.

"The results of our research flies in the face of the image of Mexico as an insignificant consumer market plagued with piracy," said Phung Pham, lead analyst on the report. "There is a booming gamer population and despite problems with piracy, a substantial level of legitimate business.

And video game publishers are finally starting to take note."

One phenomenon identified in the report regards demographics – and the emergence of young, unmarried gamers in the territory.

The report notes that it is common in Mexico for young adults to live with their parents until their first marriage - translating into a high level of disposable income.

The report reads:

‘In 1995, Mexican women married at the age of 20, and men at 23, on average.

‘But just one decade later, women are now married at the age of 25 and men at 28 - resulting in up to a decade of cash-flush “YUGGIES” of prime gaming age.’

Around the Network

Thanks for this.  Given Mexico's population, it should soon supplant Canada as the second biggest North American market for videogames.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

MExico is not in Central America....

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

It's a UK site so it's probably a UK thing. When I was at primary school I was taught there were three American continents and Mexico was in Central America. Besides, most articles contain at least one piece of nonsense

TheSource said:
Thanks for this.  Given Mexico's population, it should soon supplant Canada as the second biggest North American market for videogames.

The Canadian video game market seems to be on fire now.  It grew 22% in 2006 and 56% in 2007 ($1.5 Billion in revenue for that year).  Since Mexico isn't expected to reach $1.0 Billion until 2010 it'll probably be awhile before it overtakes the Canadian video game market. (Canada will likely be well over $2.0 billion in 2010, around $2.7 Billion if it has 22% growth rate for 2008, 2009. and 2010.

Sources:
http://evergeek.thestar.com/News/2914.aspx
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/01/17/tech-games.html

Around the Network
ferret1603 said:
It's a UK site so it's probably a UK thing. When I was at primary school I was taught there were three American continents and Mexico was in Central America. Besides, most articles contain at least one piece of nonsense

In America we are taught that Mexico is part of Central America also, probably because it is so big and stretches so far south that it could be either but got put their for some reason that I don't care to speculate about.

most of that money is from fifa games.

lol seriously, when ever i face a mexican on fifa 08 online, they always fucking kill me!

then i checked the rankings and the top 10 were mexican! lol

o yea and mexicans are veryyyyyyyyyy pleasent and nice on xbox live.

i love the way the talk english and they dont lower them selves to nothing like the american gamers do no offense.

Oh well so far Mexico kinda hates the price tag of the PS3, 360 and Wii (They are expensive) and usually only choose one console, most likely 360 or Wii (you can put a modchip)...

This problem comes from the PS2+PS era, I don't know anybody with a PS2 with "Original" games...

This will change someday, well I hope so, but the market is facing a "modchip culture"...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

^ lolz the guy who used to burn my ps2 games got arrested.