By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Great Microsoft E3 Bluff: Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility

Ruler said:
vivster said:
None of your facts really distract from the fact that you will be able to play some of your last gen games on a current gen console without extra fee. Something that doesn't seem to be the norm anymore.

I own a fat lady with PS2 backwards compatibility and even that wasn't native or perfect backwards compatibility.

The term BC may be misleading and some people who don't research the facts will probably be disappointed but I don't see anything bad with adding a useful feature to your console.

The ps2 was nativley backwards compatible. It used the original ps1 cpu as a system cpu for the os and background. And the ps2 soundchip was made out of two ps1 soundchips.

Indeed it was, but I was talking about the PS3.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Too_Talls said:

What I wanted to know from the start was if I could play games online vs 360's because I still play quite a few 360 titles online. If they are just being ported up, then it seems like a no

May not be able to sell my 360 afterall.

yes that works:
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-21424-Xbox-One-Backward-Compatibility-FAQ-%5BUpdated-Regarding-DLC-and-Voting%5D.html

"Multiplayer is cross-gen - You will be able to play an Xbox 360 game on your Xbox One against those who are playing the game on their Xbox 360."

EDIT: Should have scrolled down first. Issues has been resolved without my post. my bad.

Must.....downplay....Microsoft....every....chance.....I......get.....

walsufnir said:

Painfully ported? What? And how do you know that Perfect Dark now renders 1080p internally? "Apparently, obviously" Well, not really. Your choice of words is at least interesting.

Because from PPC to X64. Anyway I was wrong about Perfec Dark, I thought it was Zero, but it was the N64 game that was already running at 1080p on X360.

And what about the fast 10MB of eDram, how are they going to emulate it? It was already because of the fast 4MB Dram that the PS2 could never be properly emulated on PS3. 

Tachikoma said:
Shackkobe said:

Nice try.

Thanks, it's great to know my many years experience developing on the PS1, GC, Wii, WiiU, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3, Xbox One and PS4 wasn't a total waste of my time.

It's cute that you think a theoretical peak internal performance of a 10mb edram block limited to 32gb/s link on GPU can outperform a 32mb esram block with a 100gb/s+ link to both GPU and CPU (apu package).

Not saying it out performs it, saying it creates problems. Serious hardware  problems.

Running 2x MSAA on the 360 will definitely not translate linearly to Xbox One. I respect your experience, but being experienced doesn't  make you an authority on everything. And I say that respectfully. 

Around the Network
globalisateur said:
walsufnir said:

Painfully ported? What? And how do you know that Perfect Dark now renders 1080p internally? "Apparently, obviously" Well, not really. Your choice of words is at least interesting.

Because from PPC to X64. Anyway I was wrong about Perfec Dark, I thought it was Zero, but it was the N64 game that was already running at 1080p on X360.

And what about the fast 10MB of eDram, how are they going to emulate it? It was already because of the fast 4MB Dram that the PS2 could never be properly emulated on PS3. 

The architecutre is different, the esram has direct access (over 100gb/s) to gpu and cpu, the 360 has a tasty 256gb/s internal speed but that was only to move data about within that 10mb, which ultimately ended up being used just for things like AA and postprocessing, because the link to the gpu was only 32gb/s, and the link to the cpu had to first go through the cpu then be split into two 10.8gb streams to the cpu.

Basically put, its easilly done and would cause virtually no issues because the Xbox One GPU can easilly handle operations such as AA itself.

Shackkobe said:
Tachikoma said:

Thanks, it's great to know my many years experience developing on the PS1, GC, Wii, WiiU, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3, Xbox One and PS4 wasn't a total waste of my time.

It's cute that you think a theoretical peak internal performance of a 10mb edram block limited to 32gb/s link on GPU can outperform a 32mb esram block with a 100gb/s+ link to both GPU and CPU (apu package).

Not saying it out performs it, saying it creates problems. Serious hardware  problems.

Running 2x MSAA on the 360 will definitely not translate linearly to Xbox One. I respect your experience, but being experienced doesn't  make you an authority on everything. And I say that respectfully. 

Then what makes you an authority of anything tech related other than you are able to compare raw numbers?

globalisateur said:
walsufnir said:

But games are not being ported, they are emulated. There is no point in discussing it, it was already made clear already. And why PS3 wasn't able to emulate PS2 is a totally different story.

Fact#1 - I am a preview member and have tested out Perfect Dark Zero, Mass Effect, Geometry Wars Evolved, Kameo, and Hexic HD (gamertag: amdboomer)
Fact#2 - The license issue is an issue, certain games may no longer have the rights to either music or another properties (movies, comics, etc) (also streaming to twitch is now possible and this could be another reason why some games with special license may not be allowed on the list)
Fact#3 - It has to download the titles to the HDD even when you insert a retail disc, because the X1 was never designed to decode X360 disc, it can only read the ID off the disc, that is why the actual game is downloaded to the HDD
Fact#4 - you can play the games online if their server is still up and running and you can play against friends who are on the X360 still
Fact#5 - As long as you have copied your game save for a title on the X360 to the cloud you can download it to X1 and pick up your saved game
Fact#6 - it does not enhance the graphics, however the X1 HDMI output is better quality than the X360 so games actually look cleaner, but not really enhanced
Fact#7 - It also emulates the X360 guide, but does not have all the features, such as streaming music while gaming
Fact#8 - you can take screenshots, record clips (game DVR), and broadcast to twitch
Fact#9 - you can still unlock achievements, but not unlock them twice, if you already unlocked them for a title while playing on x360 they will not unlock a 2nd time on X1

Fact#10 - since the X360 is emulated you cannot use 3rd party controllers or the original kinect, this is why Kinect games will not be added to the list of games

chris0409 said:
https://youtu.be/lPQuDyWULNU?t=6s

"And really, the only thing that stops us is getting the legal permissions like licenses that may have changed over time [...] We are including the entire first party catalog that we're able to"

Of course we could say that everything they say is a lie and PR stunt but I won't go into that kind of discussion.

That borderlands gameplay in the video looks actually pretty good. In my opinion B/C isn't the "E3" winner many people want to make it seem but it's a pretty good thing if you sold your 360 but still have some games which may support backwards compatibility. Would rather use an actual 360 though and if you sold the console you probably also sold the physical games too.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P