By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Starfox Zero's graphics are bad

burninmylight said:

Do you have a release date for us?

I'm sorry, but that level of textures and geometry isn't acceptable to be shown for a current gen game. If it was an alpha, they wouldn't show it at that horrendous stage. It will most likely look a tiny better and release next year.

A lot of early access games look much better. A lot of cheap indie titles look better. What they showed is at early PS360 level, with some GC/OG Xbox stuff happening on mountains and buildings.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

To be fair, I have been warning you guys for the last year not to have high expectations of this one. Me and spemanig.

I said it too, mostly because the gamepad cockpit view sounded dumb, and has only gone on to be worse than I had imagined.

Doesn't look like a good game. The gameplay felt outdated.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

torok said:
curl-6 said:

They can't entirely escape blame for its graphical shortcomings, agreed.

I understand that it's a work in progress and that running in 60fps across two screens is a considerable technical hurdle, but still, in 2015 it's really not good enough.

It actually isn't. It won't tax the CPU because it's the same enviroment (logic, physics, AI). As the GPU, it's not that impressive. It's one 720p screen + one 480p screen. If you sum up the pixels, the combined output is less than half of a 1080p frame and around 66% of a 900p frame. So it's equivalent to a sub-900p game at 60 fps. Not impressive at all, OP didn't did the math.

OP also didn't say it was impressive. Just seeing what happens when playing Mario Kart 8 in splitscreen shows it's not simple either.

first time i saw it i thought it was a GameCube game myself. Graphics are pretty bad

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

Around the Network
torok said:
curl-6 said:

They can't entirely escape blame for its graphical shortcomings, agreed.

I understand that it's a work in progress and that running in 60fps across two screens is a considerable technical hurdle, but still, in 2015 it's really not good enough.

It actually isn't. It won't tax the CPU because it's the same enviroment (logic, physics, AI). As the GPU, it's not that impressive. It's one 720p screen + one 480p screen. If you sum up the pixels, the combined output is less than half of a 1080p frame and around 66% of a 900p frame. So it's equivalent to a sub-900p game at 60 fps. Not impressive at all, OP didn't did the math.

1280x720 = 921,600 (TV)

854x480 = 409, 920 (Gamepad)

921,600 + 409,920 = 1,331,520 (Total output)

1600x900 = 1,440,000 (900p)

1920x1080 = 2,073,600 (1080p)

1,331,520 is more than 66% of 1,440,000, and more than half of 2,073,600

torok said:
burninmylight said:

Do you have a release date for us?

I'm sorry, but that level of textures and geometry isn't acceptable to be shown for a current gen game. If it was an alpha, they wouldn't show it at that horrendous stage. It will most likely look a tiny better and release next year.

A lot of early access games look much better. A lot of cheap indie titles look better. What they showed is at early PS360 level, with some GC/OG Xbox stuff happening on mountains and buildings.

Funny that you say that now, because in your earlier post, you said it's being rushed. Also funny that you said the build was "a complete disrespect of a franchise," yet your avatar is from Twisted Metal 2012.

cheshirescat said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair, I have been warning you guys for the last year not to have high expectations of this one. Me and spemanig.

I said it too, mostly because the gamepad cockpit view sounded dumb, and has only gone on to be worse than I had imagined.

Whats bad about it? 64 also had a cockpit view and you don't have to use it from my understanding.

the n64 geometry gives me nostalgia

Goodnightmoon said:

I think they look fine, specially at 60fps videos

Is looking like a very good Star Fox I´m hyped about it. 

I think they look quite nice too. I got a kind of Halo vibe where they went for art direction and mood/style more than anything else. I was a bit disappointed at the draw distance though. I couldn't work out what it was that made me strain a bit when I first watched the video. When I watched it again I realised there was a fair bit of popup that disoriented me. A couple of times, mountains and textures would pop in quite badly.