By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Discussion Thread

HOLY S*IT!!!!!!!!!!!! 145 72.14%

NO, NO!!! ITS NOT TRUE, P... 10 4.98%

YES, YES!!!!!!!! 45 22.39%

Total:200
reggin_bolas said:
Can you buy digital 360 games on the XB1 marketplace?

Either way, yes this a huge coup by MS. I might get an XB1.

Why not do it via xbox live in your browser?

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
DakonBlackblade said:
Seriously, beeing able to play old games wins E3 ? Its nice and all but PS3 was backwards compatible (initialy) and it did squat for the console.

Yeah, but why? Console was way too expensive and look at how well remasters of games sell. Look how PS classics sell to other systems like the PSP, VITA and so on. So don't tell us there is no demand in playing old games. I've read enough on this forum to see people thinking how big PSNow is and how many people wanted titles as classics on their systems. Not to mention that many buy games twice this way.

Its definetly a great feature, but saying that MS wins E3 cause of it is way too extreme.

DakonBlackblade said:
walsufnir said:

Yeah, but why? Console was way too expensive and look at how well remasters of games sell. Look how PS classics sell to other systems like the PSP, VITA and so on. So don't tell us there is no demand in playing old games. I've read enough on this forum to see people thinking how big PSNow is and how many people wanted titles as classics on their systems. Not to mention that many buy games twice this way.

Its definetly a great feature, but saying that MS wins E3 cause of it is way too extreme.

I never said that but taking an arbitrary point to say who won E3 is business as usual and you can always take what one person thinks makes an E3 win and argue why it's not.

Max... said:
HollyGamer said:

For know it's still a speculation how the emulator works, but if it's work then it's also be posible for PS4 do the same thing on software level, only the different is it will take much more work for SONY to make PS3 runs on PS4, because the Cell is literally more advance then Xbox 360 3 core Power PC CPU. For know i only have to wait and see how the things work on Xbox One. 

I don't think that will be possible on PS4, to be honest. The Cell is extremely complex and wasn't there a graphic that claimed that it's even more powerful than the CPU of PS4? Nah, I don't think PS4 will get it. And even beside of the technical aspect, that would hurt PS Now and Sony won't want that.

I guess MS is lucky that the CPU of 360 was much simpler. It's a great feature, I'm very much looking forward to this. I hope they add Red Dead Redemption at some point since I've never played that one.

Yeah for technical levels no one sure (heck even this announcement still shredded in mystery ) No one able to claim this in 2013. Even then many experts already has some observation and explain how difficult for x86 to emulate on software level even on high end PC spec, more so on console which is on medium spec. I am just assuming this kind of backward is the same with how PS2 and PS1 worked on PS3 PS Network. Because Phil Spencer said we have to download the games even using physical copies. 

walsufnir said:
DakonBlackblade said:

I never said that but taking an arbitrary point to say who won E3 is business as usual and you can always take what one person thinks makes an E3 win and argue why it's not.

I knwo you never said that, but you quoted my original comment where I said ppl were overeacting saying Ms won E3 due to backwards compatbility, when ppl say a company "won E3" due to somethign they mean its an extremely hughe feature or game, and this feature albeit great isnt anything extraordinary. Its very cool to have backwards compatibility, will help a lot of ppl with a 360 make the transition and keep them away form jumping ship to PS4, but its not like it is the second comming of the messiah like some ppl were making it out ot be on the first few pages of comment. 

Ps: nevermind you dindt quote the comment I tought you had quoted, anyway bottomline is, great feature but nothing groundbreaking.

Around the Network

A very surprising move from MS.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

HollyGamer said:
Max... said:

I don't think that will be possible on PS4, to be honest. The Cell is extremely complex and wasn't there a graphic that claimed that it's even more powerful than the CPU of PS4? Nah, I don't think PS4 will get it. And even beside of the technical aspect, that would hurt PS Now and Sony won't want that.

I guess MS is lucky that the CPU of 360 was much simpler. It's a great feature, I'm very much looking forward to this. I hope they add Red Dead Redemption at some point since I've never played that one.

Yeah for technical levels no one sure (heck even this announcement still shredded in mystery ) No one able to claim this in 2013. Even then many experts already has some observation and explain how difficult for x86 to emulate on software level even on high end PC spec, more so on console which is on medium spec. I am just assuming this kind of backward is the same with how PS2 and PS1 worked on PS3 PS Network. Because Phil Spencer said we have to download the games even using physical copies. 

We don't know exactly why you need to download them. Perhaps it's a restriction of the VM they use. Perhaps it doesn't work with discs or the drive is not good enough to stream DVD content but is more targeted at Bluray streaming. Either way, we could compare how big the games are on 360 and how big they turn out to be on Xbox One to make educated guesses if they recompile while we don't know if every game will ship with an additional binary for translation, of course.

DakonBlackblade said:
walsufnir said:

I knwo you never said that, but you quoted my original comment where I said ppl were overeacting saying Ms won E3 due to backwards compatbility, when ppl say a company "won E3" due to somethign they mean its an extremely hughe feature or game, and this feature albeit great isnt anything extraordinary. Its very cool to have backwards compatibility, will help a lot of ppl with a 360 make the transition and keep them away form jumping ship to PS4, but its not like it is the second comming of the messiah like some ppl were making it out ot be on the first few pages of comment. 

What I think is that with the last gen, people more and more bought games digitally instead of discs and we know that 360 was moving a lot of software. It will be so convenient if I ever enter next-gen to have all my games on my disk at will, almost immediately. My 360 is already running out of disk space and I have a huge backlog still which is one of the big reasons I didn't enter next-gen already.

And again - whether you think this is big or not is not objectively measurable. It is totally subjective and to me quite big.

walsufnir said:
HollyGamer said:

We don't know exactly why you need to download them. Perhaps it's a restriction of the VM they use. Perhaps it doesn't work with discs or the drive is not good enough to stream DVD content but is more targeted at Bluray streaming. Either way, we could compare how big the games are on 360 and how big they turn out to be on Xbox One to make educated guesses if they recompile while we don't know if every game will ship with an additional binary for translation, of course.

Thats why everything it's still in specualtion and theory, even if they able to emulate that, it will be a hell of jobs there, I am not saying it's imposible but making one games work on stable frame rate is a hell of work, so i am just make some assumptions. But then again only some portion of games work for now. But nevertheless i am applause Microsoft for doing this. 

HollyGamer said:
walsufnir said:

Thats why everything it's still in specualtion and theory, even if they able to emulate that, it will be a hell of jobs there, I am not saying it's imposible but making one games work on stable frame rate is a hell of work, so i am just make some assumptions. But then again only some portion of games work for now. But nevertheless i am applause Microsoft for doing this. 

I really think it is emulation as I said before. There isn't another possibility technically. And again - we have to forget what we know about emulation from other systems. These emulators are made by hobbyists who do a great work but of course can't provide the same performance as professionals who have all the documentation.

Example? Sega was able to emulate Sega Rally Model 2 with a PS2. The system was more powerful than Model 2 but it was amazing what they achieved on PS2 with it. Or Rosetta which Apple used when they switched to x86 and left ppc behind.

Edit: btw, Rosetta is made by the same company as the company mentioned by the neogaffer I linked.

Edit 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_%28software%29

Well, given by this it's not exactly "emulation" as we know it but you can still call it though, I guess.

Edit 3: http://archive.linuxgizmos.com/transitive-demos-arm-mips-ppc-x86-binary-translation/ There is amazing stuff coming from this company. I guess we can be sure that they are using a Transitive product.