By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Discussion Thread

HOLY S*IT!!!!!!!!!!!! 145 72.14%

NO, NO!!! ITS NOT TRUE, P... 10 4.98%

YES, YES!!!!!!!! 45 22.39%

Total:200
Sweep said:
Available games...(small lol sorry...)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

Yeah, probably it will not compatible with the rest of new title. Too bad i am hoping all title, i think it will be imposible to emulate newest games title, but i am hoping too much. It will be similiar to Xbox Original emulation on Xbox 360 but i think it will be more limited due the hardware capability and architecture.

Around the Network

This was M$es revenge on Sony for that silly commercial they made about trading and borrowing games. It woke up the sleeping giant and since they are a software company at heart, they went all out to shame PS Now. Even saying play your 360 games for free is a jab at paying for backwards compatibility. I've said it before, if MS really wanted to they can make the Xbone have local BC if they tried hard enough.

I was listening to the show with a coworker who is a PlayStation fanboy, like me, and both of our jaws dropped. The first thing he said was, "I'm going to have to get an Xbox One now" he is also a big Mass Effect fan and seeing it being played made him mad. He said, "Why does Xbox always get the good stuff? Sony needs to step up their game."

For the people that are saying it's no big deal, Wii U has it, PS3 had it. It is a big deal. Last generation brought gamer scores and achievements. Xbox 360 games still hold value due to that. Wii games and PS2 games mostly hold nostalgia.

I have 2TBs of digital 360 games that still need to be played. Having digital rights to those games hold even greater value now, since they carry over to Xbone.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Zappykins said:
vivster said:
Well I stand correct. No backwards compatibility via emulation. But kudos for making the games forward compatible. Seems to be easy since the architecture of X1 is close to 360.
I kinda doubt Sony will do it that way. 1st because it's a hassle and second because PSNow would be insta dead.

Um, what?  No, they are very different.

Under the hood, the original Xbox has more in common with the Xbox One than the 360.

The similarities is they both run DirectX - which is usually very backwards compatible, except the break from 9 to 10.  And Xbox One is DirectX 12, while 360 is DirectX 9.  (For reference the original Xbox is DX 8.)

That they got an emulator on the Xbox One to run X360 games and with improved rates is quite a nice accomplishment.

I'll believe that there is an emulator when I see it. From the info we have now and the fact that you have to download the whole game with a pretty small library of games it is clear for me that they merely ported 360 games to the X1 with the DVD as the license key. I really doubt there is any emulating involved.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Adinnieken said:
First of all, to everyone who said it couldn't happen, and wasn't going to happen when I said it was possible, piss on you.

Second, it's a win. Plain and simple.

The ability for people to take both the Xbox Live Arcade, Games On-Demand, and Xbox 360 disc-based games they own and play them on the Xbox One is a win for those who own the games.

It means people can play the games that they already own on a single system, it means they can finish games they may not have finished because they couldn't afford to own both consoles and traded one in for the other, and it's a win because some teenagers became adults during the life of the Xbox One, had kids, and now want to play some of those games with their kids.

I loved the original Xbox compatibility on the Xbox 360. While there are some who never took advantage of that benefit, I did. Not only did I find the new controller better and easier to use than the original Xbox controllers (both the Duke and the S), it worked with almost all of the games I owned. The original Xbox compatibility on the Xbox 360 allowed me to trade-in my original Xbox, plus I was able to go and buy older Xbox games I never had the chance to play.

With the Xbox 360, there are games I bought and still haven't played, there are games I never completed, and there are still some games I'd like to play yet. Games I bought through Games on Demand, and Xbox Live Arcade. It's a win.

Backward compatibility gives gamers options, regardless of what system it's on. It's a win.

MS never sid all of that and you  are just spreading false accusations.This sounds just like what was said about Kinect and its features and we all know how that turned out.Fact is no one knows exactly how it will work now as MS has not explained all the features,but for it to be that good it would take a lot of effort and I just don't see them doing that.All of tis i just hype with no real concrete evidence of how good this feature will be implemented.

Lol at the people downplaying now XB1 owners get to keep their Digital and Physical games that they have invested in last gen, I just hope that the 360 games get an increase in performance like faster loading times.

Around the Network
Insidb said:
It's great, unless it's implemented in the way BC usually is. Anyone remember the days of PS2 BC "working" on a large library of games, only to have many of them glitch out and/or crash? The current list of games for X1 is, in a word, underwhelming. While I expect that to expand, I'm most over the hype of BC and the lackluster implementation.

I never had a problem with BC on any console except Xbox 360.  In all of the other instances (DS, PSP, Wii, Wii U, PS2, PS3, Vita, 3DS) the BC had always worked great, often improving the older game's performance.  Hoping XB1 gets a huge library and fixes some performance issues in order games.  Even the glitchy 360 backwards comp raised resolution in lots of games.

pbroy said:
This was M$es revenge on Sony for that silly commercial they made about trading and borrowing games. It woke up the sleeping giant and since they are a software company at heart, they went all out to shame PS Now. Even saying play your 360 games for free is a jab at paying for backwards compatibility. I've said it before, if MS really wanted to they can make the Xbone have local BC of they tried hard enough.

I was listening to the show with a coworker who is a PlayStation fanboy, like me, and both of our jaws dropped. The first thing he said was, "I'm going to have to get an Xbox One now" he is also a big Mass Effect fan and seeing it being played made him mad. He said, "Why does Xbox always get the good stuff? Sony needs to step up their game."

For the people that are saying it's no big deal, Wii U has it, PS3 had it. It is a big deal. Last generation brought gamer scores and achievements. Xbox 360 games still hold value due to that. Wii games and PS2 games mostly hold nostalgia.

I have 2TBs of digital 360 games that still need to be played. Having digital rights to those games hold even greater value now, since they carry over to Xbone.

So now its cool to play old games even though most games are not and may never be supported? MS even said that it is up to the devs themselves and I doubt many third parties will be on board when it does not benefit them financially. This announcement is for playing a few old games and does not make the X1 stand out for games specifically on the console and even the indie games accounced were for Windows 10 too.It is not a big deal since the Wiiu has sold poorly and people did not flock to the PS3 when it had it.That 2TB of 360 games you have is not suppoprted by the X1 and may never be supported.Even if they were it would take years to make that many games compatible.Take a step back and think about the logic for one minute.People are caught up in the possibilities instead of the realiy.

Its really more a PR stunt then anything, Face it, its only a minority, who need backward compatibility. And Need its a big word.

The adoption rate is more then 67% and People, use and ressell there old gameand console to do so. like the 6% and the 11% who used the retro on ps3 and 360. Its low userbase.

Its really just to be able as a PR to say we have (that number of game) and its really sad too use some loop to push sell :|.

I was happy with my retro at first. And turn out I used it once ...

the-pi-guy said:
vivster said:

I'll believe that there is an emulator when I see it. From the info we have now and the fact that you have to download the whole game with a pretty small library of games it is clear for me that they merely ported 360 games to the X1 with the DVD as the license key. I really doubt there is any emulating involved.

I'm assuming it works the same way that the 360 works to emulate Xbox games.  

It's not an actual emulator, but instead each game has an emulation profile that needs to be downloaded/or is already on the HDD. 

The way I understood it was that you have to download the actual game and nothing but the license is loaded from the disc. That sounds to me that you're simply downloading a ported version.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay this feature. As I said, kudos to MS for actually going the extra mile.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well, the announcement was a surprise and good for gamers but aren't some people overreacting to it? To be fair, the PS3 was backwards compatible early in last gen but people really didn't want it. It did not help sales. The Non-backwards compatible models sold a lot better (mainly because they were cheaper). Don't the majority of people who own a xbox one, own a 360? I guess we'll see how this affects sales and what not.