By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's split the cost between Smash 4 DLC! *Read OP on how!*

Hynad said:

With Smash, Nintendo is showing they are no better than any other developers out there when it comes to nickle and diming their userbase. You nearly have to pay the game twice to get all the relevent add-ons.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. So far the relevant add-ons amount to $20 for one version. ($4 x 3 characters, $6 for Ryu + Stage, $2 for Dream Land). That's half the price of the 3DS game, one-third the price of the Wii U game. I agree it's a lot but it's not $60 worth of DLC... yet.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Hynad said:

With Smash, Nintendo is showing they are no better than any other developers out there when it comes to nickle and diming their userbase. You nearly have to pay the game twice to get all the relevent add-ons.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. So far the relevant add-ons amount to $20 for one version. ($4 x 3 characters, $6 for Ryu + Stage, $2 for Dream Land). That's half the price of the 3DS game, one-third the price of the Wii U game. I agree it's a lot but it's not $60 worth of DLC... yet.

No.  It's not much of an exaggeration.

Here in Canada, these are the prices:

Bundle Collection #1: $12.91

Bundle Collection #2: $27.88

Total: $40.79

That's only for the Wii U version. 

And indeed, the amount of content you get for that price isn't worth it.

Hynad said:
the_dengle said:
Hynad said:

Why did you specify "the relevant add-ons" if what you actually meant was "all of the add-ons even the obviously unimportant ones"?

the_dengle said:
Hynad said:
the_dengle said:
Hynad said:

Why did you specify "the relevant add-ons" if what you actually meant was "all of the add-ons even the obviously unimportant ones"?

Are they selling this content? If they're not relevent, why don't they give them for free?

Do you know what nickle and diming means?

Ryu + stage: $7.49
Lucas: $4.99
Roy: $4.99
Mewtwo: $4.99
Dream Land Stage: $2.49
Total: $24.95 + taxes. Bringing the total closer to $30 than $20. That's woughly half the price of the game for 4 extra characters and 2 stages. That's quite expensive for so little. I love Nintendo, but the way they're handling DLC for Smash has me worried about the future. 

Hynad said:

Are they selling this content? If they're not relevent, why don't they give them for free?

So you have no explanation for your poor choice of words.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

Total: $24.95 + taxes. Bringing the total closer to $30 than $20. That's woughly half the price of the game for 4 extra characters and 2 stages. That's quite expensive for so little. I love Nintendo, but the way they're handling DLC for Smash has me worried about the future. 

If you're using the prices of the DLC for both versions of the game then you should be comparing it to the price of both games. $30 is less than one-third the $100 price of both games.

the_dengle said:
Hynad said:

So you have no explanation for your poor choice of words.

So you have nothing relevent to say about the nickle and diming point I made. Glad we got that out of the way.

Now keep attacking my wording, instead of the point I made.

the_dengle said:
Hynad said:

If you're using the prices of the DLC for both versions of the game then you should be comparing it to the price of both games. $30 is less than one-third the $100 price of both games.

I am not. Those are the prices for the Wii U version only, in Canada.

Hynad said:

So you have nothing relevent to say about the nickle and diming point I made. Glad we got that out of the way.

I already agreed that the DLC is too expensive, that's been my stance for months and I repeated it in my first reply to you. Little point continuing to discuss that.

Shit's expensive in Canada. That sucks. Of course it also sucks in the rest of the world, where it is marginally less expensive but not less expensive enough.

the_dengle said:
Hynad said:

I already agreed that the DLC is too expensive, that's been my stance for months and I repeated it in my first reply to you. Little point continuing to discuss that.

Shit's expensive in Canada. That sucks. Of course it also sucks in the rest of the world, where it is marginally less expensive but not less expensive enough.

Good. Let's move on then.

I think it sucks that the game is so expensive right now, and will remain at that price most likely for the rest of Wii U's lifetime. Because if it wasn't for those prices, I would get the game and try to get into it again. I have played Melee a fair bit back then, but something about the frenetic pace of the game turned me off. I wanted to try it out again on Wii U, because it does look like plenty of fun, but considering the game sells for $69.99 here, and that the DLCs are overpriced like this, it is simply a game I cannot back in good conscience.