By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and Smash's Latest DLC: Is Sakurai and Nintendo Going Too Far?

Is the DLC too expensive?

Yes 217 66.56%

No 109 33.44%

Total:326
Nem said:
The characters themselves are pretty cheap (especially compared to other fighters, so them offering a bundle if you want to buy everything is not terrible. But, i agree it isnt worth it.
I would stick to the characters if i were you.

Street Fighter X Tekken, the one that everyone hated for the DLC characters, had 12 for $20.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/210113/

I doubt that Nintendo will have 12 characters in a bundle for $20.

Around the Network

I just wish they'd offer a "Content-only Bundle" option - new fighters, new stages, but no Mii costumes. I don't really need Mii costumes.

Here in Australia, the total cost to buy the fighters and stages is $26, whereas the full bundle is just over $38. If I could get a content-only bundle for, say, $22, I'd be really happy.

PwerlvlAmy said:
ive seen worse, so i dont think its going too far

That's terrible logic. Just because something else is worse doesn't mean that the other thing isn't bad.

Cloudman said:
sundin13 said:
The characters are on the low end of the average you would find in most fighting games so no, they aren't too expensive. Also, theres nothing making you buy them all. Just get the ones that you want to use...

I'm kind of out of the loop with other fighters and dlc. How do they usually tend to be priced. The only one I can think of it Playstation All Stars, and they handled that better, with 2 characters for the same price. I wish Smash would make a bundle like this too...

Agree with your 2nd sentence : )

Not only that but Sony gave you the two characters an stage for free if you downloaded them in the first two weeks they released. Nintendo is bloody greedy

If you are buying cross-platform, yes.

Single-platform I think it's expensive but not "too far". Smash's dlc prices and policies have obviously been more exploitative than Kart or Hyrule Warriors, the micro-transaction costume packs have been proof of that. I'm buying the characters on Wii U, having traded in my 3DS version of Smash.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
ive seen worse, so i dont think its going too far

That's terrible logic. Just because something else is worse doesn't mean that the other thing isn't bad.

Nah its perfectly fine logic. I just don't see anything terrible about the price points and I have seen way worse dlc than this and prices,so that is a fact.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Cloudman said:
And for the record, I am still buying the characters. It feels too hard to pass on them at least...

You're your own on worst enemy then.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

The Mii costumes are expensive indeed, the stages are even worse, though the characters are fine, afterall, Sakurai is a perfectionist, so a lot of time probably went on making them, so they have to make all that back and more, plus we do have to remember that Namco must be receiving part of the revenue, since whatever is left of Sora Ltd co-developed the game with Namco, so the high prices most surely come so that everyone gets a good piece of the revenue, though that still doesn't excuses the high prices for the stages and mii costumes. Though the worse out of all of this, is this:

http://nintendoeverything.com/smash-controller-app-out-now-use-3ds-as-a-controller-on-wii-u-without-the-game/

Instead of it being free, they are charching 99 cents to be able to use the 3DS as a controller on SSBU, if you don't have the 3DS version.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Areym said:
Cloudman said:
And for the record, I am still buying the characters. It feels too hard to pass on them at least...

You're your own on worst enemy then.

Yeah, it seems terrible I an giving in to it, but I just can't say no...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I think if any of you had a sense of what it takes to make 1 character, balance him and put in the detail that we know sakurai for, you would appreciate the price, it should be more.
other games charge for already finished content, content as simple as maps or extra missions.
now I'm not sure why an n64 stage is $2 but a miiverse stage which is doing more work is free, but...