By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - *Opinion* Ok so Xbox One IS the better console.

honestly, i tried telling people this last generation when they tried to say the Wii was a joke. I always used to say, yeah, the graphics look bad now.. but the games will stand the test of time. Nintendo always does a phenomenal job of making their games timeless, and while a game like Gears of War was cutting edge and breathtaking in 2006, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which came out the same month, has aged much better and is much more playable than the original Gears, I honestly saw it coming from a million miles away.

I used to work with (who is now my best friend) a guy at gamestop who loved his 360 and always talked shit on the Wii. We both had all 3 consoles and enjoyed them, but he definitely loved his 360 by far the most and I loved my Wii by far the most. Well, 2 to 3 years into this generation, he has finally come around to what I have been trying to say all last generation about the Wii and its visuals.

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:
honestly, i tried telling people this last generation when they tried to say the Wii was a joke. I always used to say, yeah, the graphics look bad now.. but the games will stand the test of time. Nintendo always does a phenomenal job of making their games timeless, and while a game like Gears of War was cutting edge and breathtaking in 2006, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which came out the same month, has aged much better and is much more playable than the original Gears, I honestly saw it coming from a million miles away.

I used to work with (who is now my best friend) a guy at gamestop who loved his 360 and always talked shit on the Wii. We both had all 3 consoles and enjoyed them, but he definitely loved his 360 by far the most and I loved my Wii by far the most. Well, 2 to 3 years into this generation, he has finally come around to what I have been trying to say all last generation about the Wii and its visuals.

Twilight Princess? A GameCube game, looks better visually than Gears? Oh my.

As for the OP that's some pretty cool points, and like a few said here that really is the reason that (slightly more) HD remasters are a great thing when a new system rolls out, they can really show gamers that the new system they've dropped cash on is capable of shifting more polygons than their last gen piece of kit when compared using the exact same gameplay.

Was actually playing HD remasters of the Prince of Persia series last night on the PS3 based from PS2 era games, quite a far more enjoyable user experience when you have more processing power handling a game that was pushing the limits on the hardware it had been designed for first.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:

As for the OP that's some pretty cool points, and like a few said here that really is the reason that (slightly more) HD remasters are a great thing when a new system rolls out, they can really show gamers that the new system they've dropped cash on is capable of shifting more polygons than their last gen piece of kit when compared using the exact same gameplay.

Was actually playing HD remasters of the Prince of Persia series last night on the PS3 based from PS2 era games, quite a far more enjoyable user experience when you have more processing power handling a game that was pushing the limits on the hardware it had been designed for first.

when did i say it looked better?

ganoncrotch said:

Oh right so you mean it looked worse than Gears at launch and it still does today? Age didn't effect their comparison then?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:

Oh right so you mean it looked worse than Gears at launch and it still does today? Age didn't effect their comparison then?

no, it never has looked better than gears. i dont know where you're getting this from. but if you try to play both games today, i think you will see that twilight princess has aged much better than gears. one problem with gears today is the horrible framerate issues during the cutscenes. even though it looks better, it feels more dated and less polished.

Around the Network

I completely agree. The speed and convenience of the Xbox One blows 360 out of the water.

Of course the X1 is more powerful. And yes, as i always said, what makes this new generation arent the graphics (while nicer) but just that FPS and how games run smoother.

Playing games on the ps3/360 now, you notice how the fps chugs all the time. Its very off-putting.

Aye, when I turn on my PS3 to try some ps plus games I fell exactly the same.
People saying that PS4/XBO are just minor steps from their predecessors don't have a clue.

Its always the case. The step forwards always seems less of a distance than the jump back.

I remember the 360 getting a lot of flak initially for the games being barely any better looking than the better PS2/Xbox games. But it was because they were carrying the rose tinted memories of how those PS2/XB games looked.

Going back, it was clear how many more polygons were in character models and how much more details texturing was etc.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I can't speak to the Xbox One example, as I don't yet own one, but in general I don't buy into the thesis of this thread.

Yes, 8th generation systems are more powerful and more capable than previous generation systems. But are they better? Not necessarily. I still believe the 8th gen is inferior to the 7th, which is inferior to the 6th. It's all about game design to me. Glossier graphics and bigger worlds are nice, but a smart developer can make a masterpiece with the technology available in 1992.

So, yes, video games have never looked better or performed as robustly. But looks and performance do not a great game make.