By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are big third party blockbusters skipping the wii u?

The ones.that sell are there like Lego and skylanders. The rest not so much.

Around the Network

etking said:

They system is too weak and not supported by most modern engines.

I agree with this. The Wii U is actually even too weak to support the Gamepad (or multiple) in a truly meaningful way.

It is expensive to develop for another architecture (PowerPC) if all other plattforms (PC, PS4, X1) use AMD64.

It shouldn't be too expensive, just not worth the extra profit most of the time. 

The Wii-U audience is too young and does not buy 3rd party games.

I disagree with the too young part.
Most Wii U owners are in fact older than 18. But, the Wii U audience that do not own another System and buy 3rd party games is pretty low.
I'll take myself as an example, own a Wii U and a PC. I try to buy 3rd party games that I am interested in on the Wii U, but I'll buy it on PC if the value is better (e.g. Mass Effect 3 (+DLC) on PC, NFS:MW U on Wii U).

The Wii-U user base is too small.

For most genres it is too small.

Nintendo's own games are too good and many 3rd party games cannot compete, so Wii-U owners buy Nintendo games instead.

I don't know about that, feels more like 3rd parties not advertising the games that compete with NIntendo games as much. They don't try often either.

If you develop for Wii-U as a 3rd party developer you loose money istead of making it.The Wii-U has not been successful and might get discontinued very soon.

You might lose money, make a little or have a surprise hit and make loads.
You'll lose money if you just send out a game to die (I'd guess Watch Dogs is an example. Was Watch Dogs profitable on Wii U?)
You'll make a little money if you make a decent port.
You have the chance of a surprise hit if you take a big risk and make a game that is more suited to the Wii U audience.

The Wii-U is heavily overpriced, so userbase growth is very low and many Nintendo fans or Wii owners refuse to buy the system.

Remember the Gamecube? Did it sell like gangbusters when they dropped the price to 99,-?
It didn't, so I'd guess that lowering the price of the Wii U wouldn't help it a lot.

Development costs do not pay off as all previous attemps to develop 3rd party games for Wii-U failed.

Stop generalizing. There are games that do seem to pay off.
Why else would the Wii U still be getting games like Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Games or Just Dance?

Platforms: Wii U, New 3DS, PS4, PC

currently playing: 
 -Yoshi's Wooly World 
 -Pokemon X
 -Fire Emblem Fates 

Zone: Europe (Germany)

JNK said:

well okay my conclusion may be:

They dont even care about the millions they could make on wii u .
If im right and they earn 20$ per sold game (seems possible) this may be 4mio on a wii u. Yeah.

but if they sell 9mio on ps, thats 180mio. ~360mio xbox and ps combines.

So if your doing buisness with those high numbers, you pretty much dont care of getting 1 or 2 millions on a wii u version.

To be honest, seems overbearing to me. Its like the money just lay on the ground and they dont care, because its just some millions....

well yeah but you can't produce everything.
Apple could manufacture calculators, pens, playing cards, brew beer or cultivate real apples, sell that and make a profit. There would be enough Apple fanatics to buy that stuff (and honestly you could replace Apple with pretty much every bigger company). But why waste the amount of resources when you can earn much more money with the next iPhone, MacBook etc. ?

JNK said:
oniyide said:

it was read and many people took the argument apart, which would be known if other posts were read.

A PC port wouldnt make as much as Wii U because it would do MORE way more. Pretty sure COD Ghosts on PC did much more than the Wii U version

I doubt AC:Rogue did more on pc as COD/Ac4 on wii u. It was pretty same mistake as watchdogs on wii u, released half year later, no marketing. At least AC has a fanbase (watchdogs didnt) and the game wasnt hated as much as watchdogs.

Watchdogs poor sales are definitly not wii u´s fault. If you release something way later without marketing if will suck everywhere. 

except a lot of games got later releases on sony or ms consoles with no marketing and bugs, but had good sales

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Iyasu said:

Development costs do not pay off as all previous attemps to develop 3rd party games for Wii-U failed.

Stop generalizing. There are games that do seem to pay off.
Why else would the Wii U still be getting games like Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Games or Just Dance?

this just proves 3rd parties don't hate nintendo, they release what they expect will be profitable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I believe a GTAV port would sell decently.  If they can run it on PS3 and 360 then it shouldn't be too hard to port it to the Wii U.  I suppose I'll just get it on the PC eventually and that is what I get for not buying Bully on Wii.

JNK said:
oniyide said:

it was read and many people took the argument apart, which would be known if other posts were read.

A PC port wouldnt make as much as Wii U because it would do MORE way more. Pretty sure COD Ghosts on PC did much more than the Wii U version

I doubt AC:Rogue did more on pc as COD/Ac4 on wii u. It was pretty same mistake as watchdogs on wii u, released half year later, no marketing. At least AC has a fanbase (watchdogs didnt) and the game wasnt hated as much as watchdogs.

Watchdogs poor sales are definitly not wii u´s fault. If you release something way later without marketing if will suck everywhere. 

that comparison makes no sense. Why not compare the last AC game to release on Wii U and PC at the same time? Black Flag flopped on Wii U so i dont know where you are getting AC has a fanbase on Wii U it doesnt. .26mil is abysmal for a main AC title, hell the Vita one did better and that was a side story. Black Flag did .58mil on PC and thats JUST the hard copies thats not counting digital which we already know most of the sales for PC games come from there. I think 75% so this game pass the mil mark on PC alone. So yes AC does better on PC which is why it gets support. Not to mention its a freaking PC which most devs (especially western ones) use to develop games before they even work on the console version anyway. 

Dont know what Watchdogs has to do with anything that game would have flopped regardless, i could give a list of games that were late ports that sold well on non Ninty systems but it would be ignored.

Conina said:

RubberWhistleHistle said:
wow, you guys really should actually read the OP rather than just reading the title and answering the question. Hardly any of you actually responded to any of the points that were made.

Retrogamer7 said:
Hey man, it seems apparent that some people didn't read enough of what you wrote in your argument for porting games to Wii U. Sorry for those that just read your title and were too lazy to read more.

Wow, you are really good in ignoring all the answers refering to the points in the OP (and not only the title). The Nintendo Reality Distortion Field must be strong today.

THis, people dont like the answers they get, especially when they are true. Funny thing is neither of these guys actually try to debunk any of the points made

sethnintendo said:

I believe a GTAV port would sell decently.  If they can run it on PS3 and 360 then it shouldn't be too hard to port it to the Wii U.  I suppose I'll just get it on the PC eventually and that is what I get for not buying Bully on Wii.

considering that game had a glitch where you couldnt finish it, you werent missing much

at least its still funny to watch this

i doubt nintendo will ever get any real 3rd party support. it would be ridicoulus if they do the same video for the next console, nobody woud take them serious.