By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wicther 3 Sold 4 Million WW Cost 32M To Make 35M Spent On Marketing

tivec said:
People who complain, that game have some minor bugs should be aware that CDPR did not have such huge budget as Rockstar or Ubisoft. Personally I think, that with this budget Witcher 3 is pure masterpiece and I really hope that developer will show that great games can be created without tremendous amount of money.

Seriously, GTA V had over 250m, and Destiny around 500m budget!
Can you imagin how Witcher 3 would look like, if CDPR would have this money?

Higher budget doesnt equal better optimisation and polished product, witcher 3 is rushed. A higher budget wouldnt tell them to not realese the game that ealier to fix it first. CDproject doesnt deserve any money at all imo, just recentley they released a ps4 patch which is decreasing the perforamnce and causes more bugs. 

Around the Network

Higher than they first estimated back in days ($15mil for development, $25 for marketing), so they went over budget, but considering sales and quality of game, nothing to complain.

Instant bank

I wish they would have spend more money on dev to make the game more polished, without all these huge bugs...

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

The bugs really kill my enjoyment in this game, it sucks, i wont keep an excellent souvenir of TW3, just a good souvenir but nothing like Persona or Deadly Premonition ( the game was ugly but at least it hadnt huge and annoying bugs)

It will just be a good AAA among others ( well there are also some things that kill my enjoyment like the loadings, there is no more pleasure to travel, and the contracts start to bore me, i thought i would platine this game, it seemed obvious, but i'm already too much tired of it to do so )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

35m is still pretty expensive, but considering what the game delivers in terms of size, scope, graphics its could have easily been double that.

Marketing wise I'm sure they wouldn't have spent that much money without Microsofts backing.

Where did that $35M go? I ain't seen any ads for the game at all, it just seems like viral marketing from fans/gaming press that gave it coverage.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Ruler said:

Higher budget doesnt equal better optimisation and polished product, witcher 3 is rushed. A higher budget wouldnt tell them to not realese the game that ealier to fix it first. CDproject doesnt deserve any money at all imo, just recentley they released a ps4 patch which is decreasing the perforamnce and causes more bugs. 

All these complaints about bugs makes me feel as if I played a different game entirely. 3 hard crashes over 96 hours of play. No bugs or optimization problems to speak of. I have nothing bad to say about the PC port, and the most vocal complaints are all from the console ports. I'm really impressed that what was once an indie game/franchise has reached AAA status.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
Ruler said:

All these complaints about bugs makes me feel as if I played a different game entirely. 3 hard crashes over 96 hours of play. No bugs or optimization problems to speak of. I have nothing bad to say about the PC port, and the most vocal complaints are all from the console ports. I'm really impressed that what was once an indie game/franchise has reached AAA status.

Yeah, whenever I see people complaining about performance/bugs I wonder is it really that bad on consoles. I'm (at least I think) half-way through Skellige, didin't have not one serious bug or crash so far. Sorry to hear it's not all smooth as on PC on consoles.

binary solo said:
So hopefully CDPR is getting at least $60 million of that ~240 million revenue. Marketing will be a cost on the publisher so CDPR's break even is only $32M. So it's great to be in good profit less than a month after launch.

They are the publisher...