By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Black Tusk renamed to The Coalition. will show more at E3. becoming a "gears machine"

Azerth said:
DerNebel said:

Guerrilla is working on a new IP. Sucker Punch got to change IPs once, who says they can't do it again? Polyphony, yes. Santa Monica are a working on tons of smaller projects next to GoW and, like you said got a chance, 4 years and who knows how many millions to make a new IP and failed.

and who says the ms stuidos can eventually put out diff games

History, more or less. That has shown that unless a popular franchise is completely run into the ground MS is not going to have the studio making those games move away from it. Lionhead (who I said I was happy about that they are getting to try something new) for example had to first make Fable into the joke it is today, after 3 apparently being complete shit as a Fable game and The Journey being an on rails Kinect game, before they got to try something new.

And don't get me wrong, I said before in another thread that I'm actually of the opinion that MS having their studios on more of a schedule is to a degree a good thing, but I can't imagine there being anything more creatively draining (as I said in my post update) than always having to work on one series.

Around the Network

Black Tusk was better imo. Anyway, can't wait to see the new gears game. Never really played any but they tend to push the quality of graphics and love to see that.

E3 reveal and 2016 release no doubt.

Regardless of all this Gears talk, with the name like the Coalition, you would think they are going to fight ISIS, not develop video games.

kitler53 said:
Azerth said:

Guerrilla have only ever made Killzone for them, Sucker Punch have done Infamous since the PS3 was born, Polyphony = GT, Sony Santa Monica cancelled their new IP, working on a new God of War 

most sony studios tend to work on 1 ip for a generation or about 3 games and then change.  GG did KZ 1,2,3 and now are onto horizon.  sucker punch did sly 1,2,3 then moved to infamous 1,2,3 and we don't know what they are working on now.  santa monica's new ip failed and that's disappointing but they've never referred to themselves as "a god of war studio",.. frankly they have their hands in just about everything.

polyphony is really the only studio i can think of where you can really say,. "all they do is GT games".

Tourist Trophy says Hello!

Black Tusk has such a sexy ring to it.

Thanks jlmurph!

Around the Network
true_fan said:
DerNebel said:

I'm not talking about ND.

Fact remains, that sony can focus on 1 ip for 5-10 year, then move on, yet a brand new studio who hasn't even released a game is supposed to work on multiple projects immediately. Give me a break, people are just complaining to complain.

...I'm not saying that they are supposed to work on multiple projects, but this was a studio that was originally founded by MS to create a new AAA IP, and in a matter of 2 years it has changed into a "Gears Machine", they were tasked with making their own new IP to rival Halo at the end of 2012 and not even 1 1/2 years later they get to throw all their work out of the window and are told to do Gears from now on.

You mean a company who makes software wants a studio to focus on one of their all time biggest selling and best received franchises ever? No way. Next you'll tell me the Green Bay Packers are going to keep Aaron Rodgers at QB instead of letting him branch out to tight end or free safety.

I don't care about the name change portion, just deliver quality Gears games please. lol @ all the sudden concern in this thread.

The name sounds bad. Black Tusk was better but Microsoft Vancouver was the best one.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

LudicrousSpeed said:
You mean a company who makes software wants a studio to focus on one of their all time biggest selling and best received franchises ever? No way. Next you'll tell me the Green Bay Packers are going to keep Aaron Rodgers at QB instead of letting him branch out to tight end or free safety.

I don't care about the name change portion, just deliver quality Gears games please. lol @ all the sudden concern in this thread.

Have you seen the gameplay, i think nobody has yet except the name, so i gues it's normal when people talking only for the name.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Translation: Why should they let a studio of their own try and make something new and big when that's so risky and they can instead just continue a series that's already popular on its own, that's so much easier.