By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo NX to use Android OS

AnthonyW86 said:
I'm pretty sure it will have two modes then then, a NX mode and a android mode. Just like Wii-U has a seperate Wii mode. Otherwise piracy would become waaay to easy.

That was my thought as well. It would be very interesting. Google would be an extremely powerful partner for Nintendo to have. I don't even know how to phrase that without it being a massive understatement.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
AnthonyW86 said:
I'm pretty sure it will have two modes then then, a NX mode and a android mode. Just like Wii-U has a seperate Wii mode. Otherwise piracy would become waaay to easy.

That was my thought as well. It would be very interesting. Google would be an extremely powerful partner for Nintendo to have. I don't even know how to phrase that without it being a massive understatement.

movies, phones, tablets, and home consoles... Next gen could be massive for Nintendo.

If they do that they better take the Nintendo seal of aproval seriously for third party NX games.

bigtakilla said:

movies, phones, tablets, and home consoles... Next gen could be massive for Nintendo.

And theme park attractions. And amiibo, still.

the_dengle said:
bigtakilla said:

To true. As I said (in this thread I think), saturation of their IP will drive demand. If Legend Of Zelda is a great movie/cartoon, people are going to want to play the game. The only thing in their way is making something that doesn't insult peoples intelligence (Sonic Boom anyone).

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Soundwave said:

PS4 + Vita is $650 for me both at launch ($400 for the PS4 + $250 for the Vita). So basically that was a whopping $50 more than I paid for the Wii U + 3DS. 

I don't even mind paying the price, but give my freaking money's worth. That's all I ask. I don't want a freaking super low resolution screen that the 3DS has. 

Yes, sure you can have fun experiences on 20-year-old Genesis too if that's what you want. Great games are great no matter what. But if I'm paying $500 for a hotel room, then it would be nice to have a robe and slippers in the closet and a few other amenities, not just a bare room with a rock hard bed in the middle and a fat tube TV from 1996. 

For a device I'll be using for hours and hours and hours for 5 years minimum, I don't have a problem dropping $300 instead of $200. The $100 is immaterial in the overall scheme of things. Just give my money's worth hardware. I think that's a reasonable ask. Don't fuck us as consumers. It's 2015. Give me a handheld that feels like it was actually made in 2015. 

I don't give two poops that 11-year-old Bobby might not be able to afford it because mommy & daddy can't buy one for him right away. He can wait a year for the price to go down, kids these days have too much shit anyway. I had to wait for the Super NES to drop in price before my parents would buy me one. 

You picked the more expensive Wii U model, so I picked the more expensive Vita model. My point stands, I hate to say it's your fault for buying the consoles at launch since it's Nintendo's fault for pricing them that high, but you knew how powerful they were. At the time you decided that power was worth what you were paying for it. Now you feel buyer's remorse.

I don't care what's in your $500 hotel room. I want a $300 hotel room. Why can't that be an option?

$100 is not immaterial, it's the price of two games -- $200 is less immaterial, it's the price of more than three games, and that's just for one of two platforms. We're talking about a difference of more than $200 between what you and I spent on hardware for the same machines, and still you're asking Nintendo to charge more for them so they can be beefier.

Your last paragraph is pretty indicative of your generally exclusionary attitude, I don't think you give two poops about what anyone wants or might be able to afford, other than yourself. You don't mind spending more so you want more power, okay. Buy a PC. Buy a PS4. Buy an Xbox One. There are lots of high-end options for gaming machines. It's good for there to be one single more affordable option. You claim to want "a better product for we the gamer" yet you are dismissive of Bobby, who is no less a gamer than you are. The under-16 demographic is huge not only for Nintendo but for the industry as a whole. Saying "screw them, make a machine tailor-made to my tastes" is not a healthy message for the market.

Honestly the way you condescend to other gamers is somewhat gross. I waited over a year to buy a 3DS and over two and a half years to buy a Wii U, would you like to tell me I had too much shit already and give me some patronizing schlock about mommy and daddy?

I'm just saying it would be nice to have hardware based on the needs of adults, rather than every Nintendo hardware having to be anchored by the "well we have to make sure this will work well for little 10 year old Johnny". 

If Android means that Nintendo can relax some of their restrictions that they always have to place on themselves because an Android tablet can more of a all purpose device than just a "toy" than great.

And even after price cuts it's not like what Nintendo charges today is cheap either. The Wii U + New 3DS XL run $500, so I could've saved myself a trivial amount of money for waiting 2-3 years. I don't have a problem paying the money I just want to make sure I get something worth the dollar price they're asking for. 

I don't say "screw it" to audiences either, but does an 11-year-old really need a $500 XBox One for example on launch day? No. But he can get one in a year or two when the price scales down. As time goes on, the price comes down, this has been true for 30 years, so no one's being excluded. 

Also I'm not speaking to you directly allegorically (not sure what gave you that idea as I would assume you're obviously not 11-years-old which is the example I used). 

The fact is too, even kids today don't want electronics that are "toys". It's not the 1980s or early 1990s anymore, I think Nintendo just kind of needs to accept that. Making an Android tablet could be very smart. 

bigtakilla said:
the_dengle said:
bigtakilla said:

To true. As I said (in this thread I think), saturation of their IP will drive demand. If Legend Of Zelda is a great movie/cartoon, people are going to want to play the game. The only thing in their way is making something that doesn't insult peoples intelligence (Sonic Boom anyone).

To be fair, the show and comics are well loved

Smear-Gel said:
bigtakilla said:

Of Sonic, or Sonic Boom. Huge difference.

bigtakilla said:
Smear-Gel said:

Of Sonic, or Sonic Boom. Huge difference.

Dude, people love the Sonic Boom show and comic and think they're hilarious.

more powerful 3ds with android? i am sold

sry for my bad english - it is not my 1st language