By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo NX to use Android OS

JRPGfan said:
walsufnir said:

What? I am totally surprised how anyone would come to this conclusion, seriously.

Its a "insider" joke refering to this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=203557&page=6#9

I dont think its a bad idea they use Android to be honest.

Why not make use of all the apps already found on android market? Nintendo ofc could select which it would allow to be installed ect.

But it basically means not only will you be getting all the games nintendo make, but also all the android ones releaseing.

I also think it is a good idea, really. No matter what you think about mobile games, it is definitely a good option for customers to have. And yes, all the apps available today which MS and Sony console people this gen can only hope to get (if they want to use it, of course).

PLUS Nintendo games. I see no disadvantages other than people trying to mock Android and all Android consoles.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
haxxiy said:

Maybe the NX will indeed be something like this.

thats just miss information.

Its been called a "device" before. a "store/system account" is a peice of software not actually a device.

best case:

1) I think you could expect them to do a console and a handheld, where the same games run at differnt resolutions depending on if your useing the handheld or the console.

worst case:

2)They do away with the home console... and sell you a tablet that funktions as both.

At home its put into a docking station, where theres cooling inside the docking station blowing air into the tablet allowing it for a slight overclock => slightly higher resolution only (than a normal handheld).

Who knows. Nobody thought Nintendo would partner with DeNa in the first place.

I sense more fan meltdowns in the future.

walsufnir said:

I also think it is a good idea, really. No matter what you think about mobile games, it is definitely a good option for customers to have. And yes, all the apps available today which MS and Sony console people this gen can only hope to get (if they want to use it, of course).

PLUS Nintendo games. I see no disadvantages other than people trying to mock Android and all Android consoles.

Don't forget about possible android multitasking and facebook/twitter etc integration. If it will be an android platform it will be a must to some extent. 

Too bad, prefer Apple OS. Also, aren't android apps restricted to 4GB.

Btw those who are worried about piracy are worried for nothing. You guys have to remember its an OS and you can customize it. PS4 OS is based on freebsd and can you hack it? The software protection will be set by developers. It's not easy to hack "customized" OS.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

In what? File size? Yeah, no way this arbitrary limit can be changed in the open source android code ;)

walsufnir said:
Random_Matt said:

In what? File size? Yeah, no way this arbitrary limit can be changed in the open source android code ;)

Yes. Plus do you remember nvidia recently demoed Crysis 3 and borderlands in their shield console? Its based on android.

daredevil.shark said:
walsufnir said:

Yes. Plus do you remember nvidia recently demoed Crysis 3 and borderlands in their shield console? Its based on android.

Impressive.

Random_Matt said:
daredevil.shark said:

Impressive.

If you have proper API and other tools then there is no difference between windows and android (which is a variant of Linux).

daredevil.shark said:
walsufnir said:

Exactly. Mobile tech is catching up quite fast and we should remember we are still talking about low-power devices. I guess we will see systems consuming way more power and heat in the not so far away future which will be able to produce great graphics.