By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The Xbox site on Telstra's webpage is down and I think that pretty much sums up how this deal is going to go in Australia.

This is a really solid idea in the UK and the US, but partnering with Telstra in this manner and tying the subscription behind a totally separate paywall (and only here in Australia!?!!?!) was lunacy MS.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Conina said:

No, you pay $744 dollars for the XB1 X + 24 months Xbox Gamepass Ultimate. There ain't a Scarlett included in this price, you only get an upgrade option for an unknown upgrade price.

If the upgrade from the used Xbox One X to a new Scarlett costs $299, you pay $1043 in total. If the upgrade from the used Xbox One X to a new Scarlett costs $249, you pay $993 in total. If the upgrade from the used Xbox One X to a new Scarlett costs $249, you pay $943 in total.

On the other hand if you buy an Xbox One X for $299 on Black Friday + 2 years XBL Gold for 2x $60, then upgrade it to Xbox Gamepass Ultimate for one buck (activate XBL Gold + the upgrade on a secondary account and use it with the main account), you pay $420 instead of $744. 

If the Scarlett costs $499, you pay $919 in total and have a 1 year old  Xbox One X to sell for $150 - $200. That brings the costs down to $719 - $769 instead of $943 - $1043.

So no... it ain't a good deal.

You're using absolute best case scenario options there for the discrete purchases options. Ultimately I expect the deals on getting Ultimate to slow down. I can see how in the US and the UK this could be a good deal, though thats heavily dependent on what the upgrade options looks like. I note it says 'after 18 payments.' It also says after 12 payments for those who sign up before the end of the year. If that means you pay a slightly higher subscription but not a significant one of payment for Scarlett, that would be an awesome deal.

Unfortunately in Australia, they've fundamentally gimped the deal. Unlike the other countries, they've tied it to a Telco. Telstra is far and away our most expensive provider of phone and internet services, and you have to be an existing customer of theirs to take up the deal. The base pricing isn't too bad. When you consider how crap our exchange rate is at the moment its a reasonable proposition. But the deal is dead on arrival for anyone that doesn't already have a (likely business-related) reason to be on a Telstra plan.

I didn't use the absolute best case scenario options for the discrete purchases options. I even calculated the official yearly $60 for XBL Gold, even if you can get 12-month-download codes for $40 - $50.

The Xbox One X + 5 Gears games + 3 months game pass was already available for €275 (shipping + taxes included). This won't be the last deal for under $300 / €300 this holiday season. And all over the next year similar deals will be available when Microsoft and the retailers are trying to sell off the old stock to make space in the warehouses and on the shelves for the new console generation.

The $1 upgrade deal for GamePass Ultimate will probably go away soon, but it is naive to think that there won't be other good deals for GamePass or GamePass Ultimate in the future... Microsoft is very agressively trying to get as much people as possible into that subscription and I don't see that changing.

I also wanted to make it clear that the Scarlett ain't included in the $744 and we don't know how much the Scarlett-upgrade will cost, so we don't know the total costs.

Kinda surprised Playstation Now only has 1m subscribers considering it has roughly 50% of the marketshare (revenue). Numbers for that are kinda old but yeah...
https://www.superdataresearch.com/gaming-subscription/

Game Pass should have way more subscribers (I'm thinking of around 4 million). The problem probably is that most are using the $1 test version.

Barozi said:
Kinda surprised Playstation Now only has 1m subscribers considering it has roughly 50% of the marketshare (revenue). Numbers for that are kinda old but yeah...
https://www.superdataresearch.com/gaming-subscription/

Game Pass should have way more subscribers (I'm thinking of around 4 million). The problem probably is that most are using the $1 test version.

I honestly don't know if that has any weight, Superdata were as much a laughing stock and incredible as VGC numbers until that article arrived.

Joyride is a hidden gem :). Loved Jedi starfighter on PS2 is a bit outdated tho..

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

That's 3 former Game Pass titles.
What the hell. This is the worst month I've ever seen. Truly embarrassing.

I don't think the Gold games are to bad but I guess if you played them on Gamepass it sucks :( I think Gold will die out over the next year or two as MS just need to get the GamePass subs going so it isn't a massive drop to the revenue if everyone's on GPU and Gold just fizzles out.

Started The Outer Worlds and played for 4 hours straight. Really good game.
While clearly not a game with a big budget, the visuals are better than I initially thought. Native 4k is very noticeable on the X. My only gripe is texture pop-in.

However I'm a bit surprised about the length. When I already collected my 4th companion within those 4 hours of gameplay, I decided to look on Howlongtobeat.com and turns out the main story is only about 10 hours and 28 hours if you do absolutely everything.
Again I know it didn't have the biggest budget but that's rather short for an RPG (especially compared to a Fallout game). At least that's something that will no doubt improve in the MS funded sequel. Double (or triple) the content and put some more work in the visuals and this will be a big hit.

Barozi said:
While clearly not a game with a big budget, the visuals are better than I initially thought. Native 4k is very noticeable on the X. My only gripe is texture pop-in.

However I'm a bit surprised about the length. When I already collected my 4th companion within those 4 hours of gameplay, I decided to look on Howlongtobeat.com and turns out the main story is only about 10 hours and 28 hours if you do absolutely everything.
Again I know it didn't have the biggest budget but that's rather short for an RPG (especially compared to a Fallout game). At least that's something that will no doubt improve in the MS funded sequel. Double (or triple) the content and put some more work in the visuals and this will be a big hit.

I'm loving it. One of those games you want to play 6 hours straight. I'm also surprised the main story is so short but trust me, there's plenty of stuff to. I've already played it much more than 10 hours. And wasn't Fallout 3 main story also quite short?

My only problem is that it's way too easy. I'm playing on hard difficulty and there's no challenge at all. 

KiigelHeart said:
Barozi said:

I'm loving it. One of those games you want to play 6 hours straight. I'm also surprised the main story is so short but trust me, there's plenty of stuff to. I've already played it much more than 10 hours. And wasn't Fallout 3 main story also quite short?

My only problem is that it's way too easy. I'm playing on hard difficulty and there's no challenge at all. 

Yeah I agree it's quite easy. Playing on normal and only had to use the inhaler at the beginning of the game a few times. Same is true for the tactical time dilation. There's no real need to use it.

Main story of Fallout 3 is about 20 hours long.