By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Zelda Console games take 5 years to develop.... ?

I wish I knew, but it really does feel like an eternity between games.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Around the Network
Aerys said:
FromDK said:
Aerys said:
Because the next one will be on NX and Wii U, cross gen like twilight princess

Mayby.. would make sense if NX comes 2016.. (or they just do like sony did with tlou.. and release later)

And should that happen.. we will have to see what NX is.. (We know its hardware.. a dediceret game platform.. not the "hybrid" and it will be a "brand new concept") That leaves an "unnormal handheld" or some kind of (not just 4k) VR/AR/Projektor/Other.. home console..

I think the fact Zelda doesn make it for E3 means a lot, they could want to release it with the new console, so they will delay it until new gen launch, like TP

First.. Yes.. it may mean some.. but we do have to just wait and see.. :) 

But why would they wait to release on WiiU if the game is finnish.. And like i said.. it will not take anything away from the WiiU version.. if Nintendo also released it on next gen handheld.. or if NX really is a home console with a brand new concept.. (infact it makes sense that there is some time between them)

FromDK said:
Aerys said:
FromDK said:
Aerys said:
Because the next one will be on NX and Wii U, cross gen like twilight princess

Mayby.. would make sense if NX comes 2016.. (or they just do like sony did with tlou.. and release later)

And should that happen.. we will have to see what NX is.. (We know its hardware.. a dediceret game platform.. not the "hybrid" and it will be a "brand new concept") That leaves an "unnormal handheld" or some kind of (not just 4k) VR/AR/Projektor/Other.. home console..

I think the fact Zelda doesn make it for E3 means a lot, they could want to release it with the new console, so they will delay it until new gen launch, like TP

First.. Yes.. it may mean some.. but we do have to just wait and see.. :) 

But why would they wait to release on WiiU if the game is finnish.. And like i said.. it will not take anything away from the WiiU version.. if Nintendo also released it on next gen handheld.. or if NX really is a home console with a brand new concept.. (infact it makes sense that there is some time between them)

Because they did the same with TP, the game was finished but they delayed it to launch it with the Wii ( and later on gamecube) so if the game could be released around December 2016 and the new console early in 2017 , they would delay it to fill the launch line up

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Miyamotoo said:
TK14 said:
Skyward Sword took so long because they basically started from scratch in 2009 after Wii Sports Resort came out and they realized they COULD do motion-controls for the sword using Motion Plus.

Zelda U...presumably going HD and going open-world are both requiring more time to polish and (hopefully) fill the game with content still. The game looks great and the map looks huge and awesome, but it's not really worth it unless they can fill the world with content and things to do.

Conversely, the game could be delayed because of a potential dual-release scenario for the NX (like Twilight Princess), if NX is, in fact, a console and more powerful than Wii U so it'd be capable of running the game or making it even better. It's not as far-fetched as people think, given that they've obviously invested a ton of resources into their first built-from-the-ground-up HD, open-world Zelda game and they will want to make a profit on it (something that is not necessarily guaranteed on Wii U given its low install base).

Nintendo games on Wii U have very good attach rate, Zelda WW HD is above 1.5m.

Nintendo wants/expects console Zelda titles to sell 4 million+ which will be more difficult on Wii U. 

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

I'd seriously hoped they would release it a bit sooner this time around. Especially with the wii U being in a dire situation and all. Oh well, can't say I'm really all that surprised anymore...

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
Mythmaker1 said:

You can't really compare the "Zelda Cycle" and the "Sonic Cycle." Even if we acknowledge both of them, the way they purport to work is completely different.

Yes I can. They're both cycles in which people judge the franchise. Its perfect valid and its completely based off real events that commonly keep occuring

I would argue that both cycles are not really based on 'real' events. They occur on internet forums. Internet forums do not represent the majority of the fanbase.
I know people personally that have either Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword as their favourite Zelda title (despite what Zelda title followed). 
There are still people that have A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time as their favourite titles and so forth. 
Different generations tend to have different Zelda games. This is not always the case, but a more accurate factor than the Zelda Cycle.

Internet forums do not represent everyone.

TK14 said:

Nintendo wants/expects console Zelda titles to sell 4 million+ which will be more difficult on Wii U. 

But not impossible. The headliner first party titles (3D World, Smash) seem to clock in at a little over 3 mil (MK8 being the exception with over 4 mil). It should be able to do 3.5 mil without question, with a life time of 4. (Optimistically I think it could do 4 mil easily 4.5 LT given the growth that will still come throughout this year and people who are specifically waiting for LoZ to come out to get a Wii U.)

bigtakilla said:
TK14 said:

But not impossible. The headliner first party titles (3D World, Smash) seem to clock in at a little over 3 mil (MK8 being the exception with over 4 mil). It should be able to do 3.5 mil without question, with a life time of 4. (Optimistically I think it could do 4 mil easily 4.5 LT given the growth that will still come throughout this year and people who are specifically waiting for LoZ to come out to get a Wii U.)

Which is not enough, Mario/SSB always sell much more than Zelda, so if they sell 4M, Zelda will sell around 2M

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
bigtakilla said:

Which is not enough, Mario/SSB always sell much more than Zelda, so if they sell 4M, Zelda will sell around 2M

Yes and no, the same could be said for Metroid, but whether Nintendo sells ten thousand consoles or ten million consoles the series still pulls around 1.5 million sales in software. I think certain IP have certain install bases that do not fluctuate as greatly as others. As I've said before, people buy Mario because they have  Wii U, people buy a Wii U to get Zelda. That said 4 million people aren't going to go out and buy a Wii U for Zelda, but out of 10. whatever million install base they have next year that would be willing to get it, plus those who specifically are waiting for LoZ to buy a Wii U might be able to pull off 4 mil.

bigtakilla said:
TK14 said:

Nintendo official numbers till 31. march:

-5.11mil: Mario Kart 8

-4.10mil: Super Mario 3D World

-4.81mil: New Super Mario Bros U

-4.68mil: Nintendo Land

-3.65mil: Super Smash Bros for WiiU

-2.25mil: New Super Luigi U

-1.55mil: Wii Party U

-1.52mil: Zelda WW HD