By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumour: Silent Hill SAVED? Might be an Xbox One Exclusive.

estebxx said:
im sorry but this sounds so stupid... they are spending BILLIONS???

- for a franchise which the best selling game in the series sold 1.60 million units (Silent Hill on the PS1), even Demons Souls sold more than that...

- For a franchise that has the majority of its fanbase on the PS, the best selling Silent Hill games are SH 1 and SH 2 a PS1 and PS2 exclusives... the last Silent Hill game (downpour) sold better on the PS3 than the 360 and even then both versions combined didn't even got close to crossing the million units...

- Microsoft bought Minecraft for 2.5 Billion dollars, and they are supposedly spending Billions (plural) for Silent Hills so they are either spending just as much as they did for Minecraft or even more.... let that sink in...

- with Billions (plural) Microsoft could develop a dozen AAA exclusives or just fund Halo 6, 7, 8, 9 10, 11, 12, etc etc etc... but they are going to use that money to buy a game that will be lucky to cross the million units sold?...

if this turns out true and Microsoft really bought SH for BILLIONS then im sorry but im gonna laugh out loud that day... like seriously that's one way of wasting money, i could understand spending Millions (with an M) but Billions? (with a B) for Silent Hills? nah man that's.. that's crazy and in the most dumb way.

They will pay billions of yen

I do obviously agree with you. 

Around the Network

Somehow, I really doubt it, but if MS wants a legitimately prime MS exclusive, they would bankroll the development of Silent Hills.

As it's been mentioned, if MS made such a deal, Silent Hills would undoubtedly be on Windows as well.

crissindahouse said:
OttoniBastos said:
kinisking said:
OttoniBastos said:
kinisking said:
OttoniBastos said:
a japanese game exclusive for the console that has almost zero japanese fanbase...it will be saved.... until it flops.

Just because the game is Japanese doesn't mean it will flop. This appeals to a western audience too. 

Final fantasy also appeal for a western audience,look how much type=0 sold on Xone....

Final Fantasy is not that appealing to a wester audience. The characters have a distinct Japanese look and most of them are turn based which isn't that popular in western places. This has zombies, Demon's, guns and horror . Much more appealing to a wester audience. Did dead rising flop? 

1 Final Fantasy VII PS 1997 Role-Playing Sony Computer Entertainment 3.01 2.47 3.28 0.96 9.72
2 Final Fantasy X PS2 2001 Role-Playing Sony Computer Entertainment 2.91 2.07 2.73 0.33 8.05
3 Final Fantasy VIII PS 1999 Role-Playing SquareSoft 2.28 1.72 3.63 0.23 7.86
4 Final Fantasy XII PS2 2006 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.88 0.00 2.33 1.74 5.95
5 Final Fantasy IX PS 2000 Role-Playing SquareSoft 1.62 0.77 2.78 0.14 5.30
6 Final Fantasy X-2 PS2 2003 Role-Playing Electronic Arts 1.92 1.08 2.11 0.17 5.29
7 Final Fantasy XIII PS3 2009 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.70 1.20 1.87 0.51 5.27
8 Final Fantasy III SNES 1994 Role-Playing SquareSoft 0.86 0.00 2.55 0.02 3.42
9 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII PSP 2007 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.33 0.58 0.80 0.42 3.14
10 Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3 2011 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.78 0.72 0.89 0.26 2.66

1 Silent Hill PS 1999 Adventure Konami Digital Entertainment 0.71 0.48 0.30 0.10 1.60
2 Silent Hill 2 PS2 2001 Action Konami Digital Entertainment 0.62 0.49 0.00 0.16 1.28
3 Silent Hill 3 PS2 2003 Adventure Konami Digital Entertainment 0.35 0.27 0.00 0.09 0.71
4 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories PS2 2010 Adventure Konami Digital Entertainment 0.13 0.22 0.01 0.23 0.59
5 Silent Hill: Origins PSP 2007 Action Konami Digital Entertainment 0.21 0.15 0.04 0.10 0.51
6 Silent Hill 4: The Room PS2 2004 Adventure Konami Digital Entertainment 0.25 0.19 0.00 0.06 0.51
7 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories Wii 2009 Adventure Konami Digital Entertainment 0.22 0.18 0.01 0.05 0.46
8 Silent Hill: Homecoming X360 N/A Action Konami Digital Entertainment 0.24 0.15 0.00 0.04 0.43
9 Silent Hill: Downpour PS3 2012 Adventure Konami Digital Entertainment 0.19 0.13 0.04 0.06 0.43
10 Silent Hill: Homecoming PS3 N/A Action Konami Digital Entertainment 0.17 0.14 0.00 0.06 0.37

Numbers: How do they work? what can they mean?

They mean that Silent Hill: Homecoming sold better on 360 as on PS3 ^^¹

But to be serious now, why do you compare an JRPG with a horror game? Yes they are both from Japan but the difference is, FF is played by JRPG fans regardless of if they come from Japan or Europe/America. Silent Hill is  a game which sells to horror fans, there is no big indicator that there aren't horror fans on XBO but there is one that there aren't so many JRPG fans on XBO simply because JRPG fans know that many of these games won't come to XBO. 

Sure, The Evil Within sold better on PS but that doesn't mean that a Silent Hill could sell good on XBO as exclusive with a nice budget.

There is no formula which is like "if a game comes from Japan it will only sell on PS or Wii", games from Japan could also sell on XBO if they don't scream Japanese with all the characters and stuff.

With that said, the topic sounds not really true and pulled out of the ass, for over a billion MS could probably buy like 50% of Konami (no idea about the worth of Konami but well, the numbers just don't make sense for only Silent Hill)

¹Silent hill H was released when PS3 was struggling to sell.Back in the day when even Wii was selling more COD than PS3.

There is no formula,there is just numbers! Xone has an install base of ~50k in japan and outside japan people who like japanese games are buying PS4 by default and the rare ones who made the decision of getiing an Xone are now either complaining or buying PS4(there is examples here on VGchartz).

I can bet with you that most japanese games will sell bad on Xone with some rare cases where the game will sell average. (Unless MS makes a Wii sports kind of bundle of course).

The reality is, at this point, it doesn't even matter with respect to sales; the 8th gen is all but determined.

Yes, MS can bankroll exclusives, pay for timed exclusivity and exclusive marketing deals, etc. but none of that will equate to a majority market share which is what encourages developers to favor one platform over another. Instead, MS will typically have to pay for such support.

What you have left once you exit the realm of sales and market share is consumers debating/arguing over their preferences in gaming platforms, which generally does nothing to change sales trends and sales performance.

It @#?!ing better not be Xbone exclusive.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:

¹Silent hill H was released when PS3 was struggling to sell.Back in the day when even Wii was selling more COD than PS3.

There is no formula,there is just numbers! Xone has an install base of ~50k in japan and outside japan people who like japanese games are buying PS4 by default and the rare ones who made the decision of getiing an Xone are now either complaining or buying PS4(there is examples here on VGchartz).

I can bet with you that most japanese games will sell bad on Xone with some rare cases where the game will sell average. (Unless MS makes a Wii sports kind of bundle of course).

Well, I already told you in my first post how I think about that and that there are differences between "totally Japanese" games and games from Japan which could be also from a western studio. Dead Rising as example did sell ok on XBO and a Silent Hill could do the same with a nice budget.  Sure, Silent Hill is Japanese and it also feels like it but not as much as games like Final Fantasy.

I mean, it's not as if I don't know myself, I'm someone who isn't interested in many Japanese games (especially RPGs) but I am in games like Silent Hill, Dead Rising, Gran Turismo, the Souls games (including Bloodborne) and a few more.  All these games I am interested in just don't feel "too much" Japanese or even not much Japanese at all. 

It's also funny how people complain about MS not investing enough in Japanese devs and games but if they do (at least in theory) people complain that these games don't belong on XB. So, whatever MS does, it's wrong if it comes to Japan

How could someone believe this bullsh*t?
So Kojima just left, Del Toro and Reedus are gone and said a few weeks ago that the project is dead and never really started anyway...
And now some people believe that the game is 80% complete and bought by MS for billions (most expensive game/franchise in the history of video games).

Seriously, if you want to believe in some "MS bought the whole world" bullsh*t, make it at least not too laughable...
Next time, "MS bought Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian for 10 billion dollars, XOne exclusives, out in November!"

IF, and THIS is a big IF, this happens, then my purchase of a Gears of War 4 Special Edition Xbox One next year will be vindicated. This is reaching. Stranger things have happened, though.

"80% complete"

dat rumor, tho.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

One question just came to mind :
If this story is true, does it mean that the awesome Kojima/Del Toro/Reedus association, which was supposed to make us shit our pants, was cancelled because MS wanted a Japanese IP ?
Great PR move if true (Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity PR level....).