By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Does Society On A Whole Look Down On Pedophilia?

MikeRox said:
reggin_bolas said:

Different how, both have a supposed sexual orientation that is fixed since birth. Both are marginalized, one is becoming more accepted. Mutual consent exists in both cases. Young children can consent to sexual relationships with adults. There is a prominent dutch study on this matter.

So how are they different? 

No no no.

Homosexuals are 2 mutually consenting partners of the same sex.

A Child can NEVER consent to a sexual act.

Herein lies the difference.

Yes they can, not in the eyes of the law but psychologically it's true. Just like in the past homosexuality was a crime in the eyes of the law. Your argument is waffer-thin. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
reggin_bolas said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I'm pretty sure I've already said this, but no that's just not true. They 'must' not do anything. Gay people and paedophiles are vastly different.

Different how, both have a supposed sexual orientation that is fixed since birth. Both are marginalized, one is becoming more accepted. Mutual consent exists in both cases. Young children can consent to sexual relationships with adults. There is a prominent dutch study on this matter.

So how are they different? 

One is a sexual orientation, the other a mental disorder. Neither is fixed from birth. Only one of them are marginalised (and it's not gays).

Young children can't consent to sexual relationships, doesn't really matter what your opinion on it is, the law states that they can't, that's an indisputable fact.

Pedophilia is a paraphilia just like homosexuality was once in the DSM. That's not set in stone. One day it will no longer be a disorder and be recognized as normative sexual orientation. The law also changes. The law once said that homosexuality is forbidden. Look where we are today. Your argument doesn't hold water. 

Ka-pi96 said:
reggin_bolas said:

Pedophilia is a paraphilia just like homosexuality was once in the DSM. That's not set in stone. One day it will no longer be a disorder and be recognized as normative sexual orientation. The law also changes. The law once said that homosexuality is forbidden. Look where we are today. Your argument doesn't hold water. 

And your 'because I said so' argument does?

I'm using historical fact to illustrate a point about slippery slopes. You think these so called civil rights end with gays being able to marry? Did feminism stop at the first wave? These groups always expand, hence why I resist and protest. 

sc94597 said:

Who was arguing against that? Nobody is saying, "Let pedophiles have sex with pre-pubsescent children." Also I think it is important to distinguish a post-pubescent minor and a pre-pubescent one. 

Why Is that important?

reggin_bolas said:
MikeRox said:

No no no.

Yes they can, not in the eyes of the law but psychologically it's true. Just like in the past homosexuality was a crime in the eyes of the law. Your argument is waffer-thin. 

Of course they can consent.  What they cannot do is give informed consent, which is a far different thing.

The prefrontal cortex in children is underdeveloped.  They do not have decision making skills on the level of an adult.  They are also, generally, smaller, physically weaker, financially dependent, and incredibly reliant on adults. 

An adult/child relationship is not a relationship between equals.  The power dynamics are skewed, and the mental capacities are different.  To ammend MikeRox's statement, homosexuality is between two equal consenting partners of the same sex.  The same cannot be said for pedophiles. 

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
MikeRox said:

No no no.

Of course a child can consent to something. However in the eyes of the law, their consent doesn't count.

If you want to suggest that minors should be able to consent to sex, that is your choice. However for me, hell no, I don't care how archaic that makes me seem. This is the big difference and why homosexuality is now acceptable. I have no problem with homosexuality being legal. I DO have a big problem with you suggesting my child should be able to consent to someone much older being able to groom them. Children are impressionable and can be easily manipulated into thinking they agree with something. This is why they need protecting.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Puppyroach said:
sc94597 said:

Who was arguing against that? Nobody is saying, "Let pedophiles have sex with pre-pubsescent children." Also I think it is important to distinguish a post-pubescent minor and a pre-pubescent one. 

Why Is that important?

Because a 17 year old knows a lot more about sex and whether or not he or she is able to consent than an 11 year old who hasn't gone through puberty. Additionally the age of consent in most states/countries can be anywhere from 14 - 18 years old. 

Considering the thousands upon thousands of years where it was considered normal for 30 year old men to breed with young girls, pedophilia itself is unsurprising. A century ago, children were fair game for cheap labor and it hasn't been many generations since it was considered wrong to give a kid a good thrashing.

That being said, we as a people ha've moved on from this. We have reached the point where it is considered common sense to realize that child exploitation is BAD in any form. Pedophilia, as an attraction, is not harmful in of itself, but to act on that attraction is manifestly horrible and those who do deserve every consequence for doing so. It is in everyone's best interest that pedophiles accept this and get help, treatment, or whatever course of action limits the potential threat they pose to defenseless kids.

reggin_bolas said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And your 'because I said so' argument does?

I'm using historical fact to illustrate a point about slippery slopes. You think these so called civil rights end with gays being able to marry? Did feminism stop at the first wave? These groups always expand, hence why I resist and protest. 

You're literally admitting to using the slippery slope fallacy.

JWeinCom said:
reggin_bolas said:

Of course they can consent.  What they cannot do is give informed consent, which is a far different thing.

The prefrontal cortex in children is underdeveloped.  They do not have decision making skills on the level of an adult.  They are also, generally, smaller, physically weaker, financially dependent, and incredibly reliant on adults. 

An adult/child relationship is not a relationship between equals.  The power dynamics are skewed, and the mental capacities are different.  To ammend MikeRox's statement, homosexuality is between two equal consenting partners of the same sex.  The same cannot be said for pedophiles. 

Sure they can, what do you mean they can't give informed consent? There is no conclusive evidence to suggest a universal age of maturity in this context. 18 is just arbitrary. It depends on the individual, just as some children develop sexually at a faster rate than others. 

All this drivel about power and money is all socially constructed and dependent on culture. As you gay rights activist like to point out, look at ancient Greece and other cultures where pederasty was practiced. The only thing that will change in the future is the moniker pedophile will be dropped in favor of something PC.