By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the Vita have a lifespan of twelve years or more?

Tagged games:

Will the Vita have a lifespan of twelve years or more?

Yes. Vita has the power a... 12 19.05%

No. Sony will abandon the... 41 65.08%

Whatever, just bring Digimon to the West. 9 14.29%

Total:62

With the rumours of Sony planning an extensive pricecut for the Vita and the PS4, I've been thinking. The Vita is a pretty powerful machine as it is, and with the handheld market getting weaker and weaker as time passes, making a new system is really unlikely. Could Sony just make the Vita last two gens instead of replacing it? It already has the power and the support in Japan, so a pricecut that equals the Vita to the 2DS would be interesting (specially for PS+ users).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Sony is never going to replace the Vita, they're going to phase it out at some point and will then be done with handheld gaming. When that points is going to be, I don't know, probably going to be a couple more years.

It will never last another 9 years (to take it to 12). It'll be dead and buried production wise in probably 3-4 years maximum.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Maybe another 3-4 years the way I see it at best. But i'll hold my tongue until after E3.

I will eat my hat if you can find a new Vita stocked by North American retailers in 2-3 years time. I think Sony is phasing it out this year and will have a Dreamcast-like price cut for it to clear out retail inventory and that will be that in North America for the Vita anyway.

It isn't really "that powerful" either, the average modern smartphone runs circles around a Vita. The chip inside an iPhone 6 destroys the Vita. 

Around the Network

Its many times more powerfull than the current 3DS's.
How much longer do you see that lasting? The vita should be able to outlast the 3DS due to its hardware.

never. in 10 years our smartphones will be more powerfull and chaper as an ps4...

Soundwave said:

I will eat my hat if you can find a new Vita stocked by North American retailers in 2-3 years time. I think Sony is phasing it out this year and will have a Dreamcast-like price cut for it to clear out retail inventory and that will be that in North America for the Vita anyway.

It isn't really "that powerful" either, the average modern smartphone runs circles around a Vita. The chip inside an iPhone 6 destroys the Vita. 

A 3 year newer piece of hardware destroys older hardware in terms of power shock horror.....

The fact remains though, regardless of a mobiles phones supposed "power", whether it be android or apple, all that power is doing in terms of games is making striped candy or digital birds look sharper.  Mobile phone gaming is woeful, always has been and always will be.  It'll always be a 2 minute "on the toilet" go to for the majority.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

YES(in dog years).

I hope so. With the current Nep-per-year ratio we would have a total of 38 Neptunia games for the Vita by then.