By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When do you think the 9th gen will start?

bunchanumbers said:
curl-6 said:

I don't expect NX to have a GPU that's better than the one in the PS4.

Nintendo tend to fall short of the strongest part of its last gen competitor, even if it's more capable overall; Wii U has a weaker CPU than PS3/360, Wii had a less flexible GPU than the original Xbox, 3DS has a lower resolution than the PSP. Continuing this pattern I expect NX to fall short of PS4 in at least one of its two strongest areas; GPU and RAM.

Oddly enough I'm thinking that the gpu will be its biggest strength, unless they find a way to include HBM in NX. This is assuming that AMD is the chip maker and that they are going with the next gen APU that AMD was talking about. Of course its all speculation, but If NX is what AMD is saying it is, then I think it should be pretty good.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to be strong. And I suppose Wii U does set a precedent for the GPU being one of its strongpoints.

I just find it hard to see Nintendo going for powerful components, the last time they did that, the first Lord of the Rings movie wasn't out yet and wireless headsets hadn't been invented.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
bunchanumbers said:
curl-6 said:

I don't expect NX to have a GPU that's better than the one in the PS4.

Nintendo tend to fall short of the strongest part of its last gen competitor, even if it's more capable overall; Wii U has a weaker CPU than PS3/360, Wii had a less flexible GPU than the original Xbox, 3DS has a lower resolution than the PSP. Continuing this pattern I expect NX to fall short of PS4 in at least one of its two strongest areas; GPU and RAM.

Oddly enough I'm thinking that the gpu will be its biggest strength, unless they find a way to include HBM in NX. This is assuming that AMD is the chip maker and that they are going with the next gen APU that AMD was talking about. Of course its all speculation, but If NX is what AMD is saying it is, then I think it should be pretty good.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to be strong. And I suppose Wii U does set a precedent for the GPU being one of its strongpoints.

I just find it hard to see Nintendo going for powerful components, the last time they did that, the first Lord of the Rings movie wasn't out yet and wireless headsets hadn't been invented.

I don't think it will be much more powerful than the PS4. Maybe 20-25%. NX's biggest strength will be its software. But it should be enough for 3rd parties to work with to make better multiplats than PS4.

bunchanumbers said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think it will be much more powerful than the PS4. Maybe 20-25%. NX's biggest strength will be its software. But it should be enough for 3rd parties to work with to make better multiplats than PS4.

For Nintendo's sake, let's hope you're right.

think-man said:
Gen 8.5 in 2017 gen 9 in 2019

This looks about right.

2018 at earliest

2020 at the longest

i think it will start in 2019 though

this is for PS5 and XBOX NEXT,don't really care for Nintendo as their next gen is more like previous gen and they fucked up this gen so they might to a mid gen reveal for their next console

Around the Network