By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should buy Sega.

Sega's market cap is $3 billion, which means it would probably cost Sony something like $4B to $6B. I'm not sure they're willing to dump that much money for Sega.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

If Sony buys Sega, then we won't see Sonic anymore on Nintendo. :(

There's loads of developers I think Sony should/would pick before Sega.

Sonic is getting old and boring TBH and it doesn't serve as direct competition to Mario , it's not like some one stands in a store and sais "Hmm who do I like better Sonic Or Mario , yeah i'll buy the mario game cuz he's cooler".

Why is Sonic getting boring? Yes the games suck, thats the only reason. That's the point, Sony must buy Sega and help get Sonic back on trackm, thus making him a proper rival again. Because given a good enough game (Genesis Sonic, nuff said), Sonic is a direct rival. And of course Sony should play up the rivalry like they did in the Crash Bandicoot commercials when Crash was calling out Mario at Nintendo headquarters, lol!

NJ5 said:
Sega's market cap is $3 billion, which means it would probably cost Sony something like $4B to $6B. I'm not sure they're willing to dump that much money for Sega.

Even if they were willing, it would be corporate suicide if they did it. There's no way Sony can recoup 4 billion from aquiring Sega.

Around the Network

Yeah Sony can get good developers, but they need that friendly everyday character. Its an attention grabber for new ideas. For instance, say Sony decides to release a VR device.

Instead of just releasing some VR game no one has heard of, they can release "Sonics (enter something here) VR Adventure." Its not necessarily just for old Sonic games, but so people can have a cartoony character to associate with Sony

@Jandre If you think Sonic would help Sony in Japan you're sadly mistaken. Sonic hasn't sold well in Japan for a long time now. The only region were Sonic would boost PS3 sales is Europe, which is the place they need the least help in.

Besides that the Wii is a MUCH better fit for Sega IPs than the PS3. Look at the mediocore sales of Ratchet and Clank. Think Sonic could do better? No chance.

SE or Capcom would be a better fit.

I don't think sony should buy sega. For them sega would be just another developer...

Sega needs to either go on its own again or be part of a company that will focus all of its resources in to it. There is tonnes of opportunity left for sega but they will have to dig for it as it won't come easy anymore. Well actually...M&S olympics...

Wow I didnt realize they were worth $4B. Good God. Lol. Well my real point was, Sony needs something to go in direct competition with Mario, and Sonic used to back in the day.

I also dont argue that the Wii is a better fit for Sonic, but if Sony doesn't start producing more games that fall in line with Nintendo's more casual crowd and characters Japan will be lost. They need to reach out to that crowd, and taking on Sega to produce those styles of games like they did on the Genesis would be a huge benefit to Sony.

Thats the way the Japanese market is heading, and Sega has experience with those types of games.