By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony should buy Sega.

After looking at the Japanese numbers EVEN after Yakuza, the PS3 may very well be dying in Japan. Going from a region that rivaled all of Europe combined in sales to barely breaking 20,000 a week is pathetic. Its hard to design a console that sells WW while still attracting the bizarre tastes of Japan.

Sega would be a very good fit for Sony, because of one character. Sonic. Sonic is and has always been the ONLY competition for Mario. I can't remeber which game it was exactly, but there was a Sonic game recently that had ciaos and cities areas you could walk around. (I actually think it was either on the Gamecube or Dreamcast, one of them.) The point is though is that Sonic is known, and still has a lot of potential if crappy sequels of the game are stopped and they game him a sort of PS3 makeover. Almost like an RPG/platformer mix. Throw in the ciaos and you would have a pokemon like game and now the potential to take them online and compete.

It makes sense on many different levels, with PSP integration to take those little ciao things on the road. But one thing is certain, the PS3 needs a face in Japan, and internationally for that matter. Sonic would be perfect at his point IMO, and very easily could provide a much needed spark in Sony's home territory.

Around the Network

If Sony could buy someone as big as Sega, they would buy SquareEnix instead.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I've never really liked Sega games, they often lack a certain quality that other truly talented developers have, not HORRIBLE, but generally not gold. It might be a good move for them in Japan, but I probably still wont buy any of they're games >_>

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Man recent Sonic games have sucked big time. Well there is the best fighting series ever made by SEGA..... Virtua Fighter. I bet Virtua Fighter 6 will smash Tekken 6.
The Condemned games are good with Condemned 2 just being released.

Sega is dead now,

Sony should have bought R* to secure GTA4 and get the western market.

To get Japan, u need Japan targeted game or Ninty game or party game
(==> Wii powa).
Home is not going to change anything.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

They make very good games anymore Virtua Fighter, Virtua Tennis and some decent on rail arcade games, nothing else.

Yeah the recent Sonic games sucking might be a reason for sega to go Sony. Instead of trying to make their old games stick with new graphics, they could completely restart the franchise with a slightly more hardcore appeal.

Make Sonic into a world, with interactions and side quest and missions. The recent games have been absolute poop, but I still think if they sat down for a year or so, they could make a very solid Sonic game that would sell well if enough attention was brought to it.

kingofwale said:
If Sony could buy someone as big as Sega, they would buy SquareEnix instead.

Word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Seems like Sega just doesn't have the passion anymore. I wish SOMEBODY would buy them, and turn that ship around.

Personally, I'd hope Sega (the old, awesome Sega) would become a Nintendo second party. They could release the controversial stuff Nintendo shys away from. The Wii doesn't offer enough horse power for what Sega's trying to do, though.

I believe Sony should do this. First of all, its the least Sony could do after kicking them out of the hardware biz, to my dismay. Second, Sega roxors and with Sony helping they could be great again. Jet Grind Radio, POWER STONE!!!!!!! My favorite DC game, lol. And Sonic..........he and Crash Bandicoot must be reborn in good games to do battle with the Red-hatted Nintendo menace.......lol! j/k. But seriously, do this deal Sony, buy Sega now!