By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us is a good game…nothing more, nothing less

I'm currently playing through TLOU too...and yeah I pretty much agree with the overrated sentiments so far. The best part so far was the opening sequence, which was incredible and had me on the edge of my seat. A lot of the story is above average in quality and the characters are way up there too, but the plot keeps it from being anything special. Zombie apocalypses should take a long ass break for now.

The gameplay I feel is the worst part of the game so far, though the controls are very smooth.

It;s like game has been entrenched with Uncharted's cliches. There are too many instances of everybody helping each other get through rubble, climbing over obstacles and things falling apart. All while interacting with the touch of the triangle button..as if that makes the player feel involved.

Triangles and friendship. Two peas in a pod.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
last92 said:
This is your legitimate opinion. But since the prevalent opinion is that it's a masterpiece, you should start considering that your opinion is either wrong or you're simply part of a minority group.

Can opinions be wrong?

There are various situations in which an opinion can be wrong, but not in this context. As long as you don't try to use your opinion as the basis to claim a definitive (i don't like [x] = [x] is inherently bad), which osed125 doesn't, subjectives like this can't really be 'wrong'. Unpopular, sure, but not wrong.

Ultrashroomz said:
TLOU is a great game, but the reviews of this game made me think it was gonna be this huge, groundbreaking game with the best story ever.

Again, it's a great game, but not what I would consider a groundbreaking masterpiece.

Wow, I mean wow! If the story seriously does NOT impress someone I just find that to be utterly shocking. It IS in MY opinion, without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest story in all of videogaming. In fact, many movies WISH they can touch an audience the way this game has. If I had 3 wishes, one of them would be to relive this game for the first time again because I'll never get that WOW factor back again. Replays may be close after a while, but not that 100% OMG wow-factor I am talking about. 

I think the fact people are creating articles about this game in a more negative light speaks volumes. They are there only because of the universal acclaim it has received in order to somehow prove gto themselves the game is more average than truly spectacular. But, hey...to  each their own. I for one am VERY hard to satisfy as I'm so damn picky about everything. I seek perfection throughout my life, it's just who I am. To me, The Last of Us is the closest I have seen to gaming perfection. It's truly a gamers game yet it immerses you so deeply in the characters and drama you forget you're playing a game. To me, this is unlike any gaming experience I have had.

And for ME...well, not only have a thought about the story and ending for weeks after I finished it but I was left in a very deep contemplative mood. It was almost on par with some sort of spiritual awakening or something because of how 'empty" I had felt. "Empty" because the game was over or empty because the ending was so perfectly haunting or the fact that I just NEEDED more closure but deep inside I knew this was the SMART way to do it. I was never left any more satisfied in the end. I don't know. The Last of Us is just as real as it gets. Deep stuff. There's just more to it than gaming. And because of that, it gets my highest praise.

more games should take this approach but 99% of people do not have what it takes to make something like this feel just right. You gotta have the right skill to pull this off. Everything has to just come together flawlessly. Story, level design, art design, character design and voices/acting....just everything. This game has "everything going for it."

tinfamous12 said:
I agree, it was a great game. But not the full package, nice story, decent gameplay, challenging, great graphics. But did nothing severely groundbreaking, and the lack of a great soundtrack was annoying as well.

Geez, did you NOT hear the music in the end when you're running through the trees right before the ending credits? And did you NOT hear the music DURING the ending credits? O_O Those are some of the best, haunting themes I have heard in games. 

DarkD said:
The only reason The Last of Us is thought of as highly as it is, is because it's current. In ten years it won't even crack a top 100 list. It's already dropping on the lists. It's number 50 on metacritic. Hell of a drop for the supposed "best game of all time" after only two years.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all

I'm already happy, the drop in rank after only two years by itself proves how overrated the game was. Only reason it still has a decent spot is because there are still hordes of gamers citing its praises.

Technically TLOU has only dropped 1 place :p The only game to receive a higher meta score in the last 2~ years was GTA5 (across 5 versions). I'm not sure that really constitutes a "hell of a drop" in the context you're implying.

Since you used the supposed drop to 'prove' it was overrated, shall i assume that the actual near lack of one in 2~ years 'proves' the opposite to you? Or will you simply acknowledge how silly an argument it was in the first place? ^^

I really don't understand why some people go to such lengths to invalidate the opinions of others. If someone feels it's the best game ever, let them. If they don't, let them. Yay subjectives.

Around the Network

A good game. Overhyped by the media and followed by the teenagers sheeps lurking in gaming sites.

~ Mod Edit ~

This user was moderated by TruckOSaurus.

d21lewis said:
Mirson said:

From the top of my head, Red Dead Redemption, MGS1 & 3, Silent Hill 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Tomb Raider (okay maybe not the story), Persona 3 & 4.

Granted, I haven't finished The Last of Us yet, but so far, I'm not feeling the story & characters (played like six hours). I did like the opening because it reminded me of World War Z, but after that, it kind of went downhill into standard fare.

It picks up and dips.  You never really encounter any new types of enemies and there are a lot of quiet moments but stick with it.  There are going to be times where you can't put the controller down.  It's best to just ignore other people's hype and just let the game happen.  Not a 10/10 IMO but you should definitely enjoy it and not regret the purchase.

I'm not much to fall for the hype after MGS4 disappointing me (that's partially my fault for setting my expectations high). I had the game for more than a year (PS3 version), so yeah, I wasn't really influenced by the hype. I'll definitely finish it once I get my PS4 back; hopefully before Batman comes out.

POE said:
A good game. Overhyped by the media and followed by the teenagers sheeps lurking in gaming sites.

If only this site have a "Thank" button 

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Zekkyou said:
DarkD said:
The only reason The Last of Us is thought of as highly as it is, is because it's current. In ten years it won't even crack a top 100 list. It's already dropping on the lists. It's number 50 on metacritic. Hell of a drop for the supposed "best game of all time" after only two years.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all

I'm already happy, the drop in rank after only two years by itself proves how overrated the game was. Only reason it still has a decent spot is because there are still hordes of gamers citing its praises.

Technically TLOU has only dropped 1 place :p The only game to receive a higher meta score in the last 2~ years was GTA5 (across 5 versions). I'm not sure that really constitutes a "hell of a drop" in the context you're implying.

Since you used the supposed drop to 'prove' it was overrated, shall i assume that the actual near lack of one in 2~ years 'proves' the opposite to you? Or will you simply acknowledge how silly an argument it was in the first place? ^^

I really don't understand why some people go to such lengths to invalidate the opinions of others. If someone feels it's the best game ever, let them. If they don't, let them. Yay subjectives.

I wouldn't bother wasting any of your energy arguing with this kind of guy.

So many Zelda games on that list. It truly is one of the greats.