By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us is a good game…nothing more, nothing less

I was super into the game, beat it, then saw the ending...I felt like the writer took a dump on me. I was in disbelief! I tried playing the game again but I can't stand the game or the characters now that I know what was decided upon by the writer to be the ending........Did the game have a similar effect on anyone else?

Around the Network

Well, my opinion is that the game is a masterpiece, which of course is a more valuable opinion than yours.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. And in my opinion, I have yet to play a better single-player game than TLoU.

Overrated... definitely. Maybe the storyline and the gameplay were perfect, I don't deny that it may set a bar for the vast majority of Playstation gamers. My problem is that it's not revolutionary at all. It's just taking tried and tested formulas and perfecting them. Is that really worth the title "best game ever"?

Take The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, it was called the best game of all time by many because it was a patent warehouse of original and groundbreaking ideas.

Take Half Life and it's sequel, both broke down more walls than any FPS before them. HL2 came out a year late and it still had it's graphics compared to Doom 3 which was released even later.

These are games that took risks to push the boundaries of game development. There were minor flaws in each, but they set the pace for every game after.

Moneybags said:
I was super into the game, beat it, then saw the ending...I felt like the writer took a dump on me. I was in disbelief! I tried playing the game again but I can't stand the game or the characters now that I know what was decided upon by the writer to be the ending........Did the game have a similar effect on anyone else?

Uhm. The ending was bad writing? Could you give me an example of good writing then? I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

Around the Network

people say its game of the generation because of the story. not because of any of the things you talked about that have to do with the game itself. people like the story and feel emotion for the characters.

Mirson said:

I was going to make a thread similar to this later on this week. I haven't finished the game yet, but so far, I agree with you. It's a good game no doubt, but imo, it's nowhere near the 10/10 game of the generation some of the players & reviewers have been hyping it to be.

Let me start by saying the opening is fantastic - one of the best openings I've played. The atmosphere, the sense of danger, the emotion is all there. Graphics is also pretty great.

Gameplay-wise, it's alright, but I do have a few complaints about it mainly the AI and the ordinary infected. The normal infected provide no threat whatsoever; you can just hand-to-hand combat them to death. It takes away a lot of the atmosphere and sense of danger from it. The clickers are the only ones that do provide a threat, but after unlocking a certain upgrade, they don't proved a threat. You can just breeze through certain sections meeleing which also makes it a kind of boring. Better than sneaking around I suppose.

As for the AI, it's kind of dumb at times. In one occasion, a soldier saw me choking one of his buddies, and he runs back and takes cover. This action gave me enough time to sneak into the adjacent room, go around and get behind him, giving me the chance to kill him.

Story & characters are nothing to write home about.

You have to play on grounded mode sir. You will die from the runners. A lot. Prior to playing on grounded, I agreed with u.

Also, the hunters/human enemies are smarter on grounded. Grounded is crazy hard, but I love it. It also doesn't let you use that see through walls cheat sense. I didn't use it a single time anyways, but in this mode u are entirely unable to use it. 

Moneybags said:

While it didn't ruin the game for me, I did hate the ending.

I have a feeling I'll share your opinion when I finally get to it, OP. Every game people praise to be a flawless masterpiece like this always fall under my expectations

Mordred11 said:
Moneybags said:

Uhm. The ending was bad writing? Could you give me an example of good writing then? I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

I'm not necessarily saying the ending was written poorly. To me tho,  it just left such a bitter taste in my mouth. I'll try to put my feelings into words:.."wow!  after all the atrocities I'd been through with these characters( the murders, violence, people killing each other, zombies killing people, friends turning to zombies, people behaving like animals) and that's it? That's all? Did anything redeeming come out of that? I had grown rather fond of the characters and was totally in the struggle with them and what do we get? A lie?"

I was just so put off by it. Maybe I'm the only one who felt that way....