By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Review Thread - MetaCritic 81% / GameRankings 81.46%

binary solo said:
I didn't really have an idea about what to expect review-wise. I don't think I expected it to meta in the 90s but I had no particular thoughts on where it would land exactly.

Low 80s is great! One cannot fault any game for averaging >8/10 among critics. But there is a but. I don't think low 80s is the kind of critical reception that is what can help Wii U move forward significantly. It doesn't match the crazy hype the internet fans have been giving it and the system seller tag some people have been trying to put on the game.

To be fair to the game, the hype the fans have been creating has probably been quite an unrealistic burden to place on this game. If this game doesn't get the sort of sales the hype train drivers have been hoping for then the game will come in for some undeserved counter criticism and the F word will get thrown around. I think I recall one person saying Splatoon will sell like MK8. Sure it could happen but it always seemed highly unlikely, and a completely unfair expectation to place on this game.

No.

Look the predictions on this forum, even with all the hype around it the average prediction was 82. So everything goes as expected, some are bit dissapointed obviously, but is a minority.

And no, metascore has nothing to do with sales unless they are terrible, like low 60.

Games like Watchdogs or Destiny were huge system sellers after the dissapointing reviews, people were expecting something close to 90 for those, they end up on the mid 70. And what? That didn´t change anything, people wanted those games and they were already on the hype.

Splatoon has not being 1/10 as hyped as those games, and people were expecting something between 75 - 85, also people already played the game so they know how it is, and if they read the reviews they will know that the score is not representing how is going to be the product on 3 months. And even then, the score is pretty good, is an 8.1 after all. I think if you are atracted to a game and it ends up having that score, you buy it, because is good enough.

Around the Network
ils411 said:
wait.waitwait wait wait..wIt WIAT,
so, this got lower scores due to "lack of content" and the defence for the lqck of content is that stuff are coming soon and points shouldnt be deducted for lack of content?

what a load of bull crap!

scorew should reflect what it is NOW and whT it will be inx number of months or in the future.

mich like how drive club is better now due to a shyet load of patches. scores should reflect its crapines when it released and not consider the patches.

its the devs/publishers fault for releasing a half baked game and scores should reflect what is there day one not some future promise crap.

lack of content? minus points. glitchy? minus points....bububububuuut we gonna fix it aoon with morw content and patchez.. screw u! reciews must reflect the NOW and not then THEN.

honestly this is he most stupid lame ass bull crap excuess ive heard ever!

Lack of content, but it will be coming soon, is quite a worry coming out of a Nintendo 1st party studio. I do hope Nintendo isn't getting into the nickel and diming game because that really would mean doom for the gaming industry with basically no AAA producers guilty of shortchanging gamers in this way. Here's hoping the future DLC that is necessary to round out the content of the game will all be free. Has Nintendo officially spoken on whether the upcoming DLC will have an extra cost?

I agree that the game should be reviewed based on content at release. About the only exception is day 1 free DLC  / patch.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Lack of content, but it will be coming soon, is quite a worry coming out of a Nintendo 1st party studio. I do hope Nintendo isn't getting into the nickel and diming game because that really would mean doom for the gaming industry with basically no AAA producers guilty of shortchanging gamers in this way. Here's hoping the future DLC that is necessary to round out the content of the game will all be free. Has Nintendo officially spoken on whether the upcoming DLC will have an extra cost?

I agree that the game should be reviewed based on content at release. About the only exception is day 1 free DLC  / patch.

They've said the DLC is free from the beginning.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

RolStoppable said:
I hope that it turns out that all of Splatoon's additional content that releases until the end of August is already on the disc.

Then that will be almost an Animal Crossing situation.

Where all the content is in the game, but you can´t access to it until a certain moment in time, and you have new stuff everyday, but at the same time you have very limitations as you have to wait until a new day to get new stuff, yet nobody things that is a game lacking content, just one that follows its own rules.

Well, I was right. xD

Good score overall, just imagine if it came complete... would likely hit 85+.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

I'm happy with this, especially since I've actually been eager for a while now to see Splatoon get a sequel on the NX... the game is such an awesome concept and I want to see what the future has for it. - I feel like it'll be its sequel that really cements a place alongside Mario Kart and Smash Bros, even if the current one turns out to be my favourite game of all time somehow.

Ka-pi96 said:
RolStoppable said:
I hope that it turns out that all of Splatoon's additional content that releases until the end of August is already on the disc.

IMO that would make it much much worse. On disc content should never be locked away like that.

I agree. that would be some pretty shady crap

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:
RolStoppable said:

IMO that would make it much much worse. On disc content should never be locked away like that.

It would make it better.

The people who fear that the practice of releasing "half games" could spread can rest easy, because Splatoon was actually already finished at the time the first discs were manufactured. This in turn also means that Nintendo's decision to increase the longevity of the game was entirely honest and deliberate instead of a cover-up for a game that had a bunch of unfinished maps, but had to be rushed out for release anyway.

Then people would just complain about the contebt being locked on the disc, lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I figured just about everyone would take at least a point off for lack of voice communication (gamespot and ign seemed poised to do so) so the current 81% is pretty good in my book, especially for a game that's releasing earlier than it should.

Of course Gamespot's review will probably drop the average to ~70, so we shouldn't get too excited yet lol

I definitively fucked up predicting the meta of this game.