By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Catering To Women, Homosexuality and Minorities Restricting Game Developers' Creative Freedom?

First of all, I'm not gonna lump "women" in with minorities because they are not and it's too generalized to use in this way. If a dev changes something in their game to pander to minorities or to be "progressive" enough then yes but then again, a lot of things restrict a game dev's creative freedom. It's rare though to see any business cater to minorities unless that's their market in the first place. It's logical for a business to design and make a product that has the most appeal to the largest demographics within a market. 

I think devs should be able to create games well outside of today's politics and agendas. 

Around the Network
Shackkobe said:
Revived by OP due to very pertinent circumstances

As in? I didn't realize this was a necro til after I posted.

Edited* Nevermind. I came across the thread. You should link that thread or update the OP.

Do whatever makes sense for the character if it is best its a woman then fine, If its best its a mexian male then fine, if it needs to be a homosexual jew that happens to be a furry, hey if it makes sense and fits your story go for it.

If your games vision works best with a bunch of straight white guys doing straight white guy things then whatever.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

honestly it depends if its important to the story like for example if the story has nothing racism and the main character is black then well him being black is irrelevant since it basically just how the art team chose to make him look like and when its like that i don't think its important slightest to the actual game or story and we should instead talk about something else.

with a character being gay on the other hand it honestly depends on the story like if the game's plot is a love story or has a romance subplot then its fine that's the story they want to tell but on the other hand if the game has nothing to do with romance then i would say the character's sexuality regardless if they're gay, bi or straight is one of if not the most the irrelevant thing about the character.

Indies will do what they want. This is why I love indie games.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Shackkobe said:
Revived by OP due to very pertinent circumstances

As in? I didn't realize this was a necro til after I posted.

Edited* Nevermind. I came across the thread. You should link that thread or update the OP.

Agreed, I'll do that the next time.

Aeolus451 said:

First of all, I'm not gonna lump "women" in with minorities because they are not and it's too generalized to use in this way. If a dev changes something in their game to pander to minorities or to be "progressive" enough then yes but then again, a lot of things restrict a game dev's creative freedom. It's rare though to see any business cater to minorities unless that's their market in the first place. It's logical for a business to design and make a product that has the most appeal to the largest demographics within a market. 

I think devs should be able to create games well outside of today's politics and agendas. 

Note very carefully that I did not call women minorities in the post. Please read carefully before jumping to conclusions.

I agree with your last statement though.

Look, if it's all about choice, then a developer can choose to employ any sex, sexuality, ethnicity, age, whatever. And then it comes to voting with your wallet.

Shackkobe said:
Aeolus451 said:

Note very carefully that I did not call women minorities in the post. Please read carefully before jumping to conclusions.

Well, the reason why I mentioned that is because for a while now, I noticed that when people mention minorities in political discussions, they often include women as if they are minority. It's been a growing irritation for me. When I read the OP, your wording reminded me of it and irked me enough to say something about it. 

Aeolus451 said:
Shackkobe said:

Well, the reason why I mentioned that is because for a while now, I noticed that when people mention minorities in political discussions, they often include women as if they are minority. It's been a growing irritation for me. When I read the OP, your wording reminded me of it and irked me enough to say something about it. 

Women should NOT be grouped with minorities.  It all started with politics, and politics is only one man's means to control the mass public by law.