By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4/XBO 8GB memory is 'enough to last this gen,' says ex-Naughty Dog dev

Speaking with GamingBolt, Hable suggests that consoles are packing more than enough technical muscle in the hood this cycle to ensure they are not outdated in a few years time.

In general, I would not worry about the consoles becoming outdated. Remember, the PS3 and Xbox 360 have only 512MB of RAM, but the PC versions of the same games usually require 2GB or more. On consoles you have more control over memory allocations. The 8GB of RAM in both the Xbox One and PS4 should be plenty for the remainder of this console generation," he said.

The developer went on to add his thoughts on the future of lighting techniques:

For me, my major complaint these days with games is light leaking.  It is too expensive to have a shadow on every light that you make in a game so you have this effect where light seems to bleed through objects.  As an example, you might see a character with a bright light behind him or her.  Then you will see these bright lights on the creases of his or her clothes which should not be there.  That is light leaking and it drives me crazy.  You also see it a lot on muzzle flashes.  That is the next thing that I would like to see improved.

Global Illumination still needs some work too.  In many games with Global Illumination I still feel like objects lack good contact shadows in ambient light. And the falloff often does not look natural to me.  Good baked lighting in a video game is still not a solved problem.”

Around the Network

If he used to work for Naughty Dog, then his claim can't be refuted. That's how the gaming internet works ;P

Unless it only applies if he currently works for Naughty Dog, in which case his words are meaningless

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Consoles are the baseline for multiplats; if they'd launched with 4GB, that would have been enough too, because games would be designed around that.

It's common knowledge that pc games will look better 100% of the time. Having said that, I'm pleased for how close ps4/xbox one games are to PC games and would still be pleased as long as the game runs stable.

ofcourse the memory size is fine, the thing that is holding the consoles back is the amount of gpu compute units and low cpu power

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Of course it is, consoles are the baseline for multiplats; if they'd launched with 4GB, that would have been enough too, because games would be designed around that.

Well as far as I'm aware 6GB of useable video Ram is a lot even by PC standards.

But its kind of away from the point, RAM has never been pointed out as the potential bottleneck this gen, its been the CPU's.

teigaga said:
curl-6 said:
Of course it is, consoles are the baseline for multiplats; if they'd launched with 4GB, that would have been enough too, because games would be designed around that.

Well as far as I'm aware 6GB of useable video Ram is a lot even by PC standards.

But its kind of away from the point, RAM has never been pointed out as the potential bottleneck this gen, its been the CPU's.

The CPUs are definitely the weakest link in current gen consoles. GPUs also seem to be having trouble keeping pace with PC multiplats.

A lot of games have better textures on PC than consoles, PS3 era textures were horrible with 512 MB of RAM. Now With 8 GB its ok. The thing is , lets imagine that they make a PS4 with 16 GB of RAM, is the GPU powerfull enough for that amount of memory?. Is the little CPU enough? I think PS4 is a balanced machine in a sense that if you put more ram, you wont be able to take advantage, if you put a better graphic card, you need a better CPU, if you put all of that, then you would need more optic space, I remember people talking about a bottleneck at 50 GB. Anyway, I would like to see particles and weather efects on Proyect Cars on PS4 as on PC, But again, A very high end PC cost 2000 USS and a PS4 costs 400 USS. So its obvious you cant get the same experience. I guess 8 GB is good enough for the rest of the hardware. I hope they put 16 GB of Stacked memory and a better CPU and GPU in 9th gen. That would make a change, but the change is getting smaller on each gen because you really need a lot of hardware to make subtles changes like realistic shadows, dinamic lighting, global ilumination and tons of particles. We also need good games and programmers, I have a fkng great PC and a PS4. And the only game that really enjoyed from 2015 is Bloodborne.

Don't the consoles use 3 GB of RAM for OS and other functions? I thought consoles were running on 5GB of it.

bunchanumbers said:
Don't the consoles use 3 GB of RAM for OS and other functions? I thought consoles were running on 5GB of it.

yes, but the reserved ram will slowly be unlocked for games as OS functions are implemented (usually with smaller footprints then was intially reserved for them) and the overall footprint is improved

I think by 3-4 years in both will have 6-6.5GB ram available for games